CBT next week...then what?

Do you get used to the balance of your bike, or do experienced riders still nearly drop theirs? lol.

Yes You get used to it

&

Yes we still nearly drop ours, its just a very rare thing is all,

It usually happens at VERY slow speeds (1-5 mph) and most time its when we go full lock or misjudge a kerb or gravel (that sort of thing)

My Mate Dropped his "New" Triumph Rocket 3 twice........and he has 50+ year experience

In his defence the Rocket 3 is HUGE!

Do you get used to the balance of your bike, or do experienced riders still nearly drop theirs? lol.

Yes You get used to it

&

Yes we still nearly drop ours, its just a very rare thing is all,

It usually happens at VERY slow speeds (1-5 mph) and most time its when we go full lock or misjudge a kerb or gravel (that sort of thing)

My Mate Dropped his "New" Triumph Rocket 3 twice........and he has 50+ year experience

In his defence the Rocket 3 is HUGE!

That also helps lol. My dad was saying he went on a trip to switzerland with his mates who had been riding all their life (30 40 years) and they dropped their bike due to using the front brake instead of the rear. So it definately helps knowing even the most experience still have major slip ups. I think once i get to grips with slow speed and using the rear brake, the rest should hopefully come naturally.

One Thing I have to point out is that we ALL Learnt by Our Own Mistakes,

If you dont make mistakes how can you learn not to do that thing again???

None of Us jumped on a bike and started wheeling down the road whilst playing a harmonica and texting on our phones

Making mistakes Is Part of learning the Art of riding a bike and it wont just happen on your first outing, you will still make little mistakes through your coming years.

So keep positive Buddy :thumb:

Thanks guys, i was generally thinking of throwing the towel in thinking is this really for me? But like you say mate, you learn from mistakes, i need to learn not to use the front brake whilst doing slow speed :)

After watching some helpful tips on youtube i just want to get back on the thing now and try again, but ive got to wait another 6 frigging days :-(

Sorry to hear it did not go well today, you were very unlucky with the clutch as normally you can just pick them up and carry on riding. But as everyone else has said, dropping them is really quite normal so do not let it get to you. And better to do it on a school bike than your own!

Don't beat yourself up over it, mate.....These things happen. The problems that you've encountered with the steering are probably because you're too tense.....I bet you'd find it'll all be ok once you relax.....I know it's easier said than done when you first start riding, but it does come with practice. .......so, head over there next week, try to relax, and enjoy it..... :thumb:

AS has been said RELAX, whats the worst that can happen, Its not just the whole mental attitude that helps, if you are tense the bike wont be able to balance its self, your all stiff with clenched mitts on the bars the bike cant do what it wants to do, going slow you need to keep revs slightly up, slip the clutch and use the rear brake as a damper to smooth it all out, as well as the gyroscopic effect of the wheels turning the driving force of the engine trying to drive it all forward will keep the bike upright if you allow it.

Have a look on youtube at slow riding tips, its early days dont let it get you down its all just part of the journey.

AS has been said RELAX, whats the worst that can happen, Its not just the whole mental attitude that helps, if you are tense the bike wont be able to balance its self, your all stiff with clenched mitts on the bars the bike cant do what it wants to do, going slow you need to keep revs slightly up, slip the clutch and use the rear brake as a damper to smooth it all out, as well as the gyroscopic effect of the wheels turning the driving force of the engine trying to drive it all forward will keep the bike upright if you allow it.

Have a look on youtube at slow riding tips, its early days dont let it get you down its all just part of the journey.

Ever since I got home at 11:30 All I've been doing on it is research lol. I didn't think I was tense, the instructor saw me struggling with the handlebars wanting to go both ways and he never said relax, but may be I was tense. I will try to relax more next time for sure, and use the rear brake instead for certain.

Lack of forward momentum will do the same, bit like when you first learn to ride a pushbike, remember balancing the bike wiggling the bars because you were too nervous to pedal faster, didnt last long tho did it because as soon as you know your not going to fall over you pedal faster and your off.

Yeah i think i will get it lowered, would be much easier for me.

So i had my CBT this morning, we was hummng and arghing wether to ge through with it due to a little ice on the grounds. We did though and just took it steady, after 3 laps round i lost balance of the bike, dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever, he didn't have a spare so we've had to call it a day and I've got to go back next week. I'm having major doubts now though about my skills, i felt as if i couldn't steer properly even in a straight line, the bike felt as if it wanted to go both ways. I guess i just need more practice but I'm snookered now till next week. Pretty gutted to be honest.

Everyone feels like they don't have control of the bike when they first start riding, I definitely didn't, it just takes practice mate, I'm currently riding a 125 and passed my CBT back in April, no bike drops for me during the test though I have laid the bike down once and had it fall over once (Never whilst riding though) - Don't be afraid to tell your instructor that you don't understand or want to go a bit slower than others, some people need more help some people need less, I needed a bit extra and my instructor was more than happy to accomodate. The weather is admittedly a bit shit to be doing a CBT in, specially with icy roads. Don't feel uncomfortable with your ability to ride, slow control on a bike is the hardest part to master, and that's why they teach you it first, riding like normal is a breeze compared to slow control. You more than likely can ride fine but just struggle on the slow control parts.

Clear your head and get back to it, don't let a mistake get you down!

Edit: Here's some advice that my instructor gave to me, look where you want to go. If you look where you want to go the bike will turn naturally towards that, same as if you shift the way your body is on the bike, if you have your body slightly to the left of the bike, the bike will naturally start going left, as the weight is shifting.

Another recommendation I have is to watch "A twist of the wrist" it's a little cringey because it's old and has some poorly acted moments in it, but these are called the bikers bible with good reason, it's full of incredibly useful information and I have watched them, highly recommend watching both of them. They're a bit annoying to find though is the only bad bit.