Accessing CB1100 Battery

CB1100SW

Hi

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered elsewhere - I have looked but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2013 Honda CB1100. According to the user manual, accessing the battery simply means removing the seat and then removing the battery cover (a clip and a screw to undo).

I realise it's probably a stupid question but what's the plastic tube of liquid cable-tied into the battery cover? It appears to have a breather pipe running up toward where the toolkit sits. The problem is that the remove the battery cover, it will mean cutting the cable tie and taking out this tube and piping, none of which is mentioned in the manual.

Any advice will be much appreciated! I can post a photo if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi and welcome to the Forum, a picture might help? but you say full of liquid! is it blue Liquid? and does one end of tube exit near rear sprocket? Could well be a scotoiler, or similar. But try to post a picture first.

The battery on that bike l would of thought would be a sealed one, so with no pipe connected directly to the battery the pipe in question will be either a vent or overflow pipe from the coolant or fuel system. If its just in your way just snip the ti-wrap to move the pipe out of the way and gain access to do your deed. Those ti-wraps are readily available and as cheap as chips.

Hi

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered elsewhere - I have looked but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2013 Honda CB1100. According to the user manual, accessing the battery simply means removing the seat and then removing the battery cover (a clip and a screw to undo).

I realise it's probably a stupid question but what's the plastic tube of liquid cable-tied into the battery cover? It appears to have a breather pipe running up toward where the toolkit sits. The problem is that the remove the battery cover, it will mean cutting the cable tie and taking out this tube and piping, none of which is mentioned in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

It sounds as if it could be a battery breather......easy way to find out is to disconnect it, run the bike for a few months, then lift the seat. If the frame around the battery is corroded to fu*k, then it was a battery breather.... :shock:

PS - only joking!!!! As others have already said, a photo would be good......

Hi and welcome to the Forum, a picture might help? but you say full of liquid! is it blue Liquid? and does one end of tube exit near rear sprocket? Could well be a scotoiler, or similar. But try to post a picture first.

Many thanks indeed for the reply.

I've looked at some Google images of Scottoilers and that is indeed what it is!

I guess one final question is whether it's worth leaving there? The bike is used only occasionally and I ideally wanted to leave the battery on trickle charge during cold weather and the Scottoiler is in the way. As it's only a low mileage bike, do you think the Scottoiler is worth having?

Thanks again for your input; I appreciate it.

Chris

The battery on that bike l would of thought would be a sealed one, so with no pipe connected directly to the battery the pipe in question will be either a vent or overflow pipe from the coolant or fuel system. If its just in your way just snip the ti-wrap to move the pipe out of the way and gain access to do your deed. Those ti-wraps are readily available and as cheap as chips.

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate it. Mystery solved - it's a Scottoiler. Just debating whether it's worth keeping.

Thanks again.

Chris

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Chris

It sounds as if it could be a battery breather......easy way to find out is to disconnect it, run the bike for a few months, then lift the seat. If the frame around the battery is corroded to fu*k, then it was a battery breather.... :shock:

PS - only joking!!!! As others have already said, a photo would be good......

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate it. Mystery solved - it's a Scottoiler. Just debating whether it's worth keeping.

Thanks again.

Chris

Many thanks indeed for the reply.

I've looked at some Google images of Scottoilers and that is indeed what it is!

I guess one final question is whether it's worth leaving there? The bike is used only occasionally and I ideally wanted to leave the battery on trickle charge during cold weather and the Scottoiler is in the way. As it's only a low mileage bike, do you think the Scottoiler is worth having?

Thanks again for your input; I appreciate it.

Chris

Hi Chris, Scottoiler always worth having, Even if you are doing low mileage, The trickle charger, does it come with a lead than you can fit to battery with a plug, and just plug charger too, so you can leave Scottoiler in place?

If you do go down the route of removing Scottoiler, remember the Black tube that goes into top near adjuster, comes from the engine and will need to be removed and Blanked off. Otherwise engine won't run right and will misfire. And if you want to sell it, please let me know :D

Yeah, leave it on. You don't have to access the battery to out the bike on trickle charger. They all come with a socket you wire to the battery and leave hanging out.

Here's a photo of my bike showing the charger socket :

Screenshot_20171216-225555.thumb.jpg.062e3bb9ad3f7a729646476e2b5e881c.jpg