What is this connector?

someone

Have you browsed either the Maplins or RS catalogues ? I've had a look and there are dozens of automotive 3 pin connectors of similar quality and appearance that come in kit form . So you could simply get the soldering iron out and fit a different one. For example http://i.imgur.com/bwfmI0u.png

Edited by fastbob

Have you browsed either the Maplins or RS catalogues ?

I have tried a Google image search, but could not find anything I was confident enough was the same. I need to know whatever I buy will fit, so was hoping someone would know the exact type they use.

And the one you linked does not look like it has the lower clips to be able to connect.

You could always buy two male and female of the same connector and cut the OE one off and replace it with a new one and no one will ever know :wink:

My point exactly but better put.

You could always buy two male and female of the same connector and cut the OE one off and replace it with a new one and no one will ever know :wink:

My point exactly but better put.

Missed your post :lol:

But in that case I may as well just expose the cables, twist the box ones around it, then wrap it in some tape. Which is how it was on the 125, although the box kit actually came with scothlok connectors but they felt too lose. The reason for wanting to make an adapter is to do it properly so I can get it back into stock condition if necessary.

I should have taken a photo of the underside of the female connector on the lamp end as it also seemed to have something more going on inside it. Maybe it was just tape, but it looked like something orange wound around the cable?

But in that case I may as well just expose the cables, twist the box ones around it, then wrap it in some tape. Which is how it was on the 125, although the box kit actually came with scothlok connectors but they felt too lose. The reason for wanting to make an adapter is to do it properly so I can get it back into stock condition if necessary.

I should have taken a photo of the underside of the female connector on the lamp end as it also seemed to have something more going on inside it. Maybe it was just tape, but it looked like something orange wound around the cable?

Nobody is suggesting that you do a nasty lash up with tape. What we are suggesting is that because you have failed to find another male and female connector identical to those on the bike, you simply replace it. Then you can build your splitter between another pair of the same connectors and simply plug it in . When you sell the bike , unplug the splitter and re connect what remains . You probably won't find the connector you are looking for because both halves are integral parts of a Honda wiring loom and are not sold as DIY components . What you need is access to wander around an old fashioned scrap yard full of Honda cars armed with a pair of snips but health and safety and ebay have probably put paid to that.

What we are suggesting is that because you have failed to find another male and female connector identical to those on the bike, you simply replace it. Then you can build your splitter between another pair of the same connectors and simply plug it in . When you sell the bike , unplug the splitter and re connect what remains.

But that defeats the objective. Changing to just a random connector means if I or anyone else ever needs to replace or upgrade the light unit it will have the wrong connector. At least splicing into the cable means I can simply remove it and tape back over the splice, as I did to uninstall it from the 125.

And are you saying it is definitely an OEM connector that cannot be bought or just assuming? If the former I will just go with a splice. Not my preference but it would be the best way to retain stock condition, and is the "correct" way of installing the kit after all.

Oops meant

https://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=51

And scroll through the relevant pin number

I checked the three-pin ones but none appear to have those two centred connectors underneath the female pins. Mind, it does not help their photos are all from above, so any in which the pins are set back are obscured by the socket casing.

I have now joined a bike specific site though, so hopefully someone there will recognize them.

What we are suggesting is that because you have failed to find another male and female connector identical to those on the bike, you simply replace it. Then you can build your splitter between another pair of the same connectors and simply plug it in . When you sell the bike , unplug the splitter and re connect what remains.

But that defeats the objective. Changing to just a random connector means if I or anyone else ever needs to replace or upgrade the light unit it will have the wrong connector. At least splicing into the cable means I can simply remove it and tape back over the splice, as I did to uninstall it from the 125.

And are you saying it is definitely an OEM connector that cannot be bought or just assuming? If the former I will just go with a splice. Not my preference but it would be the best way to retain stock condition, and is the "correct" way of installing the kit after all.

Oops meant

https://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=51

And scroll through the relevant pin number

I checked the three-pin ones but none appear to have those two centred connectors underneath the female pins. Mind, it does not help their photos are all from above, so any in which the pins are set back are obscured by the socket casing.

I have now joined a bike specific site though, so hopefully someone there will recognize them.

Ok, last try,how's about buying 3 non stock connectors and putting one set under the seat in a little bag with an explanatory note and some complimentary heat shrink tubing ? :thumb:

I saw that page earlier, unfortunately they are for turn signals so only have two-pins.

It does not seem such a strange thing to want to do (with any brand of box) or an unpopular bike, so I can only think most peoole are happy to scotchlok it given not a single person online has said anything about it.

You could use Posi Taps and all you would leave behind would be a pin prick which can be sealed with a spot of superglue.

https://posi-connect.com/collections/posi-tap

Those look fantastic, much better than splicing. I will measure the cable gauge tomorrow and if my luck does not change with the connector (and I am not optimistic by now) I will order some of those instead.

Thanks!

Interesting, that one does not have the two locks under the pins but otherwise looks and sounds right. I wonder if those locks are even necessary, or just part of how my particular connector was assembled and not necessary.

But I cannot find anywhere to buy them in the U.K. on eBay or Google, everything is either China with trade-sized minimum orders or U.S. So I think for now I will order some of those Posi-taps, they seem useful to have anyway, so I can hopefully those will arrive this week to get it rigged up as soon as possible. But will look to find and order some HX 040s too.

Thanks all.

You're welcome.

I use them all the time, quick easy and re-usable, what's not to like?

Quick service too as I ordered on Sunday and they arrived today. Will have a go with them tomorrow morning.

I was wondering though if you did anything about waterproofing them? The bunch of connectors are under a plastic cover anyway, but thinking it cannot hurt to put a bit of electrical tape at least around the tops.

I have never found the need to waterproof. I sometimes put a dab of Dielectric grease in the end if it's likely to get water ingress. I suppose if you want to go overboard you could wrap the connection in self amalgamating tape. Remember there is no cross over connection so if a connection gets wet it's just wet not conducting. It will conduct if the whole bike goes into water but I suspect you will have more to worry about in that case than a bit of a short circuit.

I will trust you then, [mention]raesewell[/mention], although if I die I will come back and haunt you!

Even after cutting the tape back a bit there was still only a short section of the cables exposed so it was a bit tricky, but the taps were so easy to do that I was sure I must have done something wrong. They are secure and everything works, though.

As they face downward once scrunched back into place I will leave off worrying about waterproofing as hopefully it will only be a short term measure anyway. Just a shame that Givi's own rack does not have anywhere to run the cable from their plate to the bike without having to resort to randomly wrapping some cable ties around it.

img_6255.thumb.jpg.dad1b90d74cee6099148e037e5c215e7.jpg

And thanks for the link, [mention]Chrissb6[/mention]. Nothing listed on their site but they seem a good place to ask.