Cyclists are idiots.

Joeman

Arrogant yes but the copper is wrong though isn't he?

To me its a bit like undertaking, tuning your radio or eating drinking refreshments whilst driving. Done sensibly none of these things are an issue....

Rule 66

You should

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Rule 67

You should

be aware of traffic coming up behind you

Rule 68

You MUST NOT

ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner

Arrogant yes but the copper is wrong though isn't he?

To me its a bit like undertaking, tuning your radio or eating drinking refreshments whilst driving. Done sensibly none of these things are an issue.... Its the attitude to the copper and other road users thats as much the issue...

Rule 66

You should

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Rule 67

You should

be aware of traffic coming up behind you

Rule 68

You MUST NOT

ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner

It's all contextual and down to interpretation again. Well there is only two of them so not more than two abreast and the road doesn't look that busy and no way to tell from watching the video whether they were aware of traffic. Could be argued as inconsiderate. They might suggest they were approaching an area of the road with an island and therefore it was safer for them to ride two abreast to prevent people trying to overtake them on the approach to the island and they would move back to single file after that point in the road. I think if the cyclists were apologetic and explained why they were cycling like that at the point it would all have been a non event but as usual they have to argue the toss and try and prove a point.

Christ this sounds like I'm defending cyclists. Someone slap me round the face so I can carry on as usual.

@goat :hammer:

that's better.

Nearly got hit by a stupid cyclists walking to work today. Stupid woman decides to come across a crossing, on to a cycle path going the wrong way, on to the pavement then cuts in front of me to go onto the wrong side of the road. Please find a special place for yourself under a bus, where your voluminous mass will be crushed to a thin layer of goo.

Had one at the work gate where it joins the road.

The road leading from work joins the main road via a T-junction. There are a couple of pedestrians who have stopped and are waiting at the edge of the path to cross the road when I'm gone.

I'm turning left so make my checks, there's a cyclist on the path coming up behind the pedestrians. I figure he will stop and wait with them, and there's no room to cross in front of me anyway. I take one last quick glance to the right and begin to move off.

As I go the cyclist doesn't stop and comes out onto the road in front of me. I hit the brakes suddenly and he hits the bonnet of the car shouting at me.

I just flipped the bird, took a deep breath and carried on.

But I don't know how he thought I was in the wrong. He was riding on a pedestrian path with no lights, he came onto the road where there was no crossing, and had to go into the road and go against the direction of travel for the lane to pass in front of my car which was emerging from the junction. :scratch:

Hey all. My first post on the forum so will try not to be controversial :) I've moved out of London now, but used to commute most days of the week from Ealing to central London. In that time I always tried my best to be considerate, follow the law as best I possibly can (although since there is a significant amount of interpretation, who knows). I even have a radar that warns me of traffic approaching from behind, which is useless in london, but fantastic for weekend country side riding. Allows me to know that something is coming and for me to be courteous and let them past in the best way.

Generally, the people who annoyed me the most were by far and away other cyclists. So many have absolutely either no clue what the law attempts to say or just don't care about the law (red lights, pavements, crossings, no lights, no helmet, no indication, no looking when changing lane, noise cancelling headphones (FFS!!!), etc).

I found that the most significant danger, or at least when I felt most in danger was on cycle super highways. Closing speed of maybe 40 mph with handle bars 6 inches from eachother!! (Yes, people can go slower, but they don't). That is really going to hurt If someone makes a mistake or has a mechanical. I guess that video showed what happens when three a breast overtaking is attempted....

However, I did find that so many people acted with hostility towards other users of the road due to pre conceived thoughts. For example, all cyclists are idiots, all BMW drivers don't indicate, all lorry drivers don't check their mirrors etc.. the point here is, if anyone makes a genuine mistake, then people get very angry at them due to pre conceived thoughts. (I am excluding the genuine idiots here, but thinking about he people who are trying to be correct and good)

Having said that, a vast majority of road users just don't help themselves be liked, and cyclists are unfortunately top of the list. I guess its just be because a lot think think there are no repercussions to them not following the law, when the most likely outcome is them getting hurt.

Anyway, this debate will go on and on. In my mind, the only solution is to make everyone who walks, rides or drives pass a test and make them clearly accountable in law. How you do that... No idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

All the twitter cyclists getting upset with Essex police..

">

The driving is terrible and he really should be taken off the road, but the evidence isn't strong enough to convict and the cyclists are livid!

Naturally I'm trolling them...

This is why the tits need some sort of licence and insurance for a pushbike , wouldn't be so gobby at the though of points or getting banned... pair of nob jockeys.

This is why the tits need some sort of licence and insurance for a pushbike , wouldn't be so gobby at the though of points or getting banned... pair of nob jockeys.

They really are behaving like spoilt middle-class tw@ts with their sarcastic little digs at the police. The police are staying quiet. Lol

All the twitter cyclists getting upset with Essex police..

">

The driving is terrible and he really should be taken off the road, but the evidence isn't strong enough to convict and the cyclists are livid!

Naturally I'm trolling them...

Just had a read. Clearly no one understands how the police and CPS operate.

how would you police this? Would a 5 year old on a push bike with stabilisers riding next to their parents on the path need training and insurance? I agree you should have to be tested and insured to use the roads on a push bike, but if you do that you'll just push people onto the pavement. I know one section of road i regularly cycle alone I can hit 30-35mph, if I was on the path and there was someone walking with their kids it would be extremely dangerous. I am not sure what the solution is.

how would you police this? Would a 5 year old on a push bike with stabilisers riding next to their parents on the path need training and insurance? I agree you should have to be tested and insured to use the roads on a push bike, but if you do that you'll just push people onto the pavement. I know one section of road i regularly cycle alone I can hit 30-35mph, if I was on the path and there was someone walking with their kids it would be extremely dangerous. I am not sure what the solution is.

Don't ride on the pavement. Simple.

then do you ride on the road and have drivers/ motor bike riders complaining your getting in their way?

You've just said introducing insurance requirements will cause people to ride on the pavement and you didn't know the solution. I gave you a solution. The next solution to the new problem you've presented is to ride at the side of the road instead of down the middle.

then do you ride on the road and have drivers/ motor bike riders complaining your getting in their way?

You've just said introducing insurance requirements will cause people to ride on the pavement and you didn't know the solution. I gave you a solution. The next solution to the new problem you've presented is to ride at the side of the road instead of down the middle.

and in single file if more than 1 rider.

ok sorry, I'm with you now. Do your saying cycling on the pavement is illegal (as it is now, just not enforced) and people have to cycle on the road with insurance/ test. That's fine and I agree, the issue is with those younger cyclists, kids playing about the local streets, should people not be allowed to ride a push bike until they are 16 for example when they can be tested/taxed?

The ride down the side of the road vs the middle is a totally different argument. If I'm on my push bike and I'm approaching a junction I will absolutely take a middle of the lane. Before I was confident enough to do that I had people pushing past me to turn left in front of me, if I'm in the middle of the lane they cant do that so it keeps us both safer. Same if we are approaching a blind bend in the road, ill take the middle in case there is something coming round the corner in the opposite direction. I know if I'm being overtaken while that happens, then whoever is overtaking me will swerve to avoid the oncoming vehicle, probably straight into me. So again I don't allow that situation to arise.

why? they have as much a legal right to be on the road as anyone else? Should you ban those cart things being pulled be horses and say people can only ride the horse in single file?

Also there is the argument that it is actually easier to pass than single file. Maybe not for motorbike but definitely for cars. If a car is overtake 4 cyclists in a line, and the length between the first wheel and back wheel is 20m. The car has to find a space where they can get out to the opposite lane for 20m and get back in safely. Now if the cyclists are 2x2, that distance is only 10m. So they car actually has less of a distance to overtake meaning they can be out and back in quicker, giving more chance to overtake.

why? they have as much a legal right to be on the road as anyone else? Should you ban those cart things being pulled be horses and say people can only ride the horse in single file?

Also there is the argument that it is actually easier to pass than single file. Maybe not for motorbike but definitely for cars. If a car is overtake 4 cyclists in a line, and the length between the first wheel and back wheel is 20m. The car has to find a space where they can get out to the opposite lane for 20m and get back in safely. Now if the cyclists are 2x2, that distance is only 10m. So they car actually has less of a distance to overtake meaning they can be out and back in quicker, giving more chance to overtake.

Being allowed to do something doesn't mean you should. I could walk very slowly in the middle of a busy path, but I don't as I don't want to hold people up.

It's just about consideration. If you've done all you reasonably can to allow people by then that's fine. But often the case is a road is wide enough to allow us to pass single file cyclists (in the car) in the same lane safely. Which then can't be done when you're 2 abreast without going into the oncoming lane (which during rush hour isn't a good place to be).

I don't mind cyclists broadly speaking. When I'm doing 17mph in a 40mph limit because of your choice of transport I can accept that and I'll overtake and go about my day. But make it noticeably hard to overtake as an unfortunately big minority of cyclists do, and I don't think about the legality, but how you're taking advantage of it. And the retort to this is often along the lines of "safety", but there's nothing safe about provoking people.

I don't mind cyclists broadly speaking. When I'm doing 17mph in a 40mph limit because of your choice of transport I can accept that and I'll overtake and go about my day. But make it noticeably hard to overtake as an unfortunately big minority of cyclists do, and I don't think about the legality, but how you're taking advantage of it. And the retort to this is often along the lines of "safety", but there's nothing safe about provoking people.

Really the top and bottom of it is is that there are c*nts on both sides. There is a recently build dedicated cycle lane through Newcastle, it is fully segregated with dedicated cyclist traffic lights. The number of cyclists I see (and shout at) for jumping the red light is unbelievable. Totally indefensible. There was also a van driver not so long ago that kept weaving in front of me in traffic as I was filtering and ended up opening his door while moving slowly to try and knock me off.

If everyone had some consideration for others there wouldn't be this argument. I think this lack of consideration is partially down to people not understanding why other road users have the opinions they have. How many drivers know what a cyclists primary and secondary positioning is for, I bet it is a low percentage. Similarly those cyclists who are holding traffic up just because they they don't realise how difficult it is too get past.

Really the top and bottom of it is is that there are c*nts on both sides. There is a recently build dedicated cycle lane through Newcastle, it is fully segregated with dedicated cyclist traffic lights. The number of cyclists I see (and shout at) for jumping the red light is unbelievable. Totally indefensible. There was also a van driver not so long ago that kept weaving in front of me in traffic as I was filtering and ended up opening his door while moving slowly to try and knock me off.

If everyone had some consideration for others there wouldn't be this argument. I think this lack of consideration is partially down to people not understanding why other road users have the opinions they have. How many drivers know what a cyclists primary and secondary positioning is for, I bet it is a low percentage. Similarly those cyclists who are holding traffic up just because they they don't realise how difficult it is too get past.

Maybe they don't, but a biker sure will do and cyclists still piss bikers off with their road positioning half the time.

I am not sure what the solution is.

The solution is for everyone in the world not to break Rule #1.

Rule #1 states: Do not be a c**t.

If people only obeyed Rule #1 instead of breaking it with alarming frequency then everything would be a lot nicer everywhere.