Question for the guitar players on here

The Hitcher

Are Telecasters awkward to get on with or have I just ended up with one I don’t like that much?.

The reason I ask is I bought a Tele a few months ago which sounds great, looks great and I can play it OK but I always feel like it’s more of an effort to get on with than my admittedly very nice playing Strat, it feels tight and I just don’t feel as smooth on it and make more mistakes, so unsurprisingly whenever I practice I nearly always pick up the Strat.

Would different gauge strings on the Tele help?, I’m probably guessing no as they are the same scale length?.

I have yes, the Tele does have a higher action but it’s not awkwardly or uncomfortably high- yeah they’re both 25.5 scale length as far as I know.

Perhaps I’ve just got a gem of a Strat and an average Tele, think my only two choices are to keep it and make myself practice only with it until I’m so used to it that I like it as much or get rid of it and play a bunch of Teles until I find the right one, barring myself from touching any custom shop or vintage ones in case I do something stupid :lol: .

So many factors could be at play. I'm fairly sure you can get different radius necks on Telecasters, depending on country of origin and model. Neck width too will possibly vary meaning some have the strings closer together. And the neck itself could be chunky profile, or less chunky.

I find them heavy and strangely balanced. I like the balance of a Les Paul, but they also kill my back.

Ask a decent player you know to try it out and give you their view about what to rectify.

It does feel slightly chunkier than the neck on the Strat the strings arnt as close together on the Tele, I’ve played my tutors Les Paul and I’d say I preferred it over the Tele, it felt nicer to play even though I wasn’t used to it but is definitely something I could get used to!, although I like the Strat the best though.

I’m going to try and persevere with the Tele a bit longer though as I do love the sound of the bridge pickup :D .

Tango, it doesn’t have to be a Fender version at all, I will check them out, thanks.

I've got a Squire Strat....... I'll get me coat :oops:

Some of the Squier models are exceptionally good quality. Likewise, some of the Fender range are poor. If you like your guitar, that's all that matters.

I bought my eldest son an Epiphone SG and he absolutely loves it.......I quite like some of the Ibanez guitars......so you don't need to spend big money to get a decent guitar......Squier Strat are not bad...... 8-)