Jackets...are they really worth it?

Recently I started to ride outside of the town on dual carriageways (not motorways!) and started to think about safety gears. I’ve never owned a proper motorcycling clothing before. My current jacket that I’m wearing is a normal Timberland jacket which I’ve never felt cold in it and it is so comfy, warm, waterproof and fashionable but it doesn’t have ANY protection and body armour.

So I decided to go to the J&S and try their jackets. I don’t like the look of non of them, yeah I know it’s not about the fashion it’s about the safety but come on , I go to see my girlfriend and bunch of friends with my motorcycle and I don’t wanna look like a stormtrooper! Also I don’t feel comfortable in them, I tried many sizes and brands but I can’t move my arm comfortably also the jacket itself is so heavy!!

So my question is; as a new rider is it really worth it to take the risk and stick to my own normal jackets or it is too dangerous and I have to wear proper clothing?

Ultimately it's up to you what you wear. I choose to wear bike stuff but that's me. Have a look on cafe racer and urban rider and you'll find plenty of good looking jackets. Personally I find bike stuff tends to fit me well and is comfortable as its designed for that seated position with your arms outstretched.

I find good bike gear is really hard to choose. I have to try on loads before I find the right stuff to fit me comfortably. I’m pretty average in terms of size and fit so it’s not like I’m a weird shape, you just need to keep looking for the kit that suits you. Once you find it it’s well worth it.

Plus, as I found out recently, nurses seem to think I look good in my riding gear, that’s got to be the ultimate test.

yeah I know it’s not about the fashion it’s about the safety but come on , I go to see my girlfriend and bunch of friends with my motorcycle and I don’t wanna look like a stormtrooper!

What will your girlfriend think when she visits you in hospital seeing you missing a layer of skin?

Motorcycle gear is not just about armour to absorb impact but also abrasion resistance, so when you go sliding down the road it holds together and prevents your body from being shredded.

But there are plenty of brands making gear to look like regular clothing as well as stormtroopers. You can look on any of the big online retailer web sites to see a much wider range to get an idea of what you want to try. Then either ask a shop if they stock it or just order, most offer good return policies. Usually necessary because every bloody manufacturer seems to see sizes differently.

Or you could get a top box and swap safety gear with something casual when you get on or off the bike.

Or a car, they offer excellent abrasion resistance no matter what you wear.

:stupid: wot I was gonna say

Back and elbows are what tend to get bashed about so light weight armour that fits underneath may suit?

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/knox-action-armoured-shirt-black

Thank you all for your advice. I think the best option for me is the body armour shirts. I’ve seen a lot videos about road rashes and startet to take the protective clothing seriously. Also I will buy a proper biking trousers with knee prtection :thumb:

That's a good start, but don't forget about your skin too; you'll miss it if it all gets peeled off on the tarmac. What about a leather jacket and kevlar-lined jeans? Only thing is that it might be a bit cool for this time of year.

https://ldmotorcycles.co.uk/collections/kevlar-hoodies-jackets/products/ldm-street-r-kevlar-armoured-hoodie?variant=33155755651

Not a lot of reviews on these, so I don't know how reliable they are. I've been considering buying one for when I'm at college. Please wear something though. It's better to look like a stiff Stormtrooper than to sustain potential life changing injuries :)

Just a quick update. I bought a pair of trousers one size larger than my actual size to wear them over my jeans and take them off after ride. Also after checking J&S and urban rider I finally could find a casual looking and fit BERING jacket in Infinity Motorcycles, actually I love the look of it more than my non-motorcycle jackets.

Here are pictures of them

of course they are worth it. Any gear is worth it.

I used to be one of those guys who were worried about how I looked... Until I crashed. Wearing jeans, trainers and a hoodie with gloves and a helmet.

Road rash on both legs, Road rash on my arse, Road rash both arms, Road rash on my back. Two broken ribs, A punctured lung and a broken ankle.

Lost my job and my then girlfriend. Took four months to be able to ride again. Six months before I could work again and I had to change career because of my injuries.

Now its all the gear, every time.

If its casual looking motorcycle clothing you want, A quick google throws up loads of websites that sell good gear.

Road rash on both legs, Road rash on my arse, Road rash both arms, Road rash on my back. Two broken ribs, A punctured lung and a broken ankle.

:shock: glad you made it through and it didn't dent your biking bug!

:shock: glad you made it through and it didn't dent your biking bug!

Youd have to chop both of my legs off to stop me riding :lol: even then id just move on to a trike or something :lol:

I have 2 piece leathers I use if I'm riding any distance and an armoured jacket for when it's cold. If I'm commuting or not traveling far I'll wear kevlar jeans and I bought some motocross armour that i wear under a normal jacket or hoodie. I'm under no illusion I'm best protected in my leathers but I'd rather some armour than non at all. I've seen the aftermath of a slowish speed (40mph) off involving someone wearing an everyday normal jacket and jeans. Looked like he ran his body over a massive cheese grater

Bike gears is like an insurance. The day you crash, it could make the difference between jumping back on the bike straight away and a wheelchair (thinking of the overlooked back protectors). Just some thoughts.

pit

If you want stylish but functional riding gear, have a look on www.Motolegends.com

And www.planet-knox.com

Don’t worry about accidents, chicks dig scars - everybody knows that.

Personally I dig leather more than scars…