Security chain length?

Yo

As I'm intending to buy my first bike imminently, I figured I should get some security sorted in preparation. This is for locking up at home, outside of my garden on a driveway which is visible to passers-by. I'm intending to sink a ground anchor in near my garden wall, and lean the bike over it before securing with a chain through the anchor and rear wheel.

Question is, how long a chain do I need? I'm thinking of going for the Pewag 14x52 and i may decide to carry this with me if I'm taking the bike away too so the weight of it is important but I'm also aware that chains shouldn't be left trailing on the floor where they are easier to break with a sledgehammer. On that note, my floor is gravel so not a massive concern. I think 1.0m is too short, and 1.5m should be OK. Am I correct?

Also, with such a chain, if I carry it on the bike when I need to lock up away from home, is it sensible to put it through the rear wheel then up and over the seat to keep it off the ground?

I have a pewag.... Bit of a review here https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=63502

Mine is 2 metres and personally I think this is a good length mine weighs 7.5kg but I suspect yours will be heavier!

Obviously it depends on how close you can get the bike to the ground anchor to decide the length but you don't want it too short that you struggle when you go anywhere!

I have a pewag.... Bit of a review here https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=63502

Mine is 2 metres and personally I think this is a good length mine weighs 7.5kg but I suspect yours will be heavier!

Obviously it depends on how close you can get the bike to the ground anchor to decide the length but you don't want it too short that you struggle when you go anywhere!

Cheers Stu. Do you carry yours when you're out and about? I think yours is the 12x45 chain, so a little lighter. If you don't need the full length of chain, are you able to put the padlock through a link that is in the middle of the chain?

The protective cover is in the way to put the lock through but either way the lock on mine wouldn't go through due to its design

I only take it with me if I go away anywhere but I also have some oxford chains I use if weight is an issue

When going away its opportunist thieves you need to watch and the likelihood of them having the right tools on them is very slim

If you are parking in the same spot day in and day out then someone could easily come tooled up

I only use my bike for fun and no commuting so very rare I carry a chain