Bike won't start

Adamjf82

Ok so my zx6r has been running fine until recently. It starts first push of the button every day but If I stop it won't start again it's like battery is dead. Then after trying and trying it sometimes starts and other times it needs bumping off.

It's got a brand new battery and new plugs. I've had it into local garage where sods law it started every time.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a jiffy connection somewhere is the starter circuit.

I had something similar on an overdrive unit once - all was well when it was cold but once things warmed up the overdrive would start messing about and cut out. After all sorts of buggering about I found a crimp connector holding on by one strand of wire. I re-made the connection and it was fine. /olden days story.

Have a look at the starter solenoid - take the connector off and on a few times as a first go and see if that sorts it. Failing that, check the continuity of the earth lead from the solenoid and the starter switch when it's closed.

Sounds like a jiffy connection somewhere is the starter circuit.

I had something similar on an overdrive unit once - all was well when it was cold but once things warmed up the overdrive would start messing about and cut out. After all sorts of buggering about I found a crimp connector holding on by one strand of wire. I re-made the connection and it was fine. /olden days story.

Have a look at the starter solenoid - take the connector off and on a few times as a first go and see if that sorts it. Failing that, check the continuity of the earth lead from the solenoid and the starter switch when it's closed.

I'll give it a go once my arm is out of pot. Bloody broken wrist

Sounds like powdered muck shifting around inside the starter motor. This might explain the intermittent nature of the fault . You can fix this by opening it up and giving everything inside a good clean and a polish with very fine emery paper. A sticking starter motor can give the false impression that the battery, solenoid or even the charging system is at fault. Good luck.