Lock bike up on street / public car park?

I've always locked my bike (Honda CBR600) up at home on my drive. When I'm out and about I've never really had to leave my bike for more than a few minutes so never had to lock it up.

I'm thinking of starting to commute on my bike but will have to leave my bike on a public road or public car park all day.

Are there any light weight locks I could put in my bag or would it be pretty pointless?

Also, would you advise covering the bike during the day? I'm not sure how I could as I'd have to wait a good 30 minutes for the bike to cool down so it doesn't burn the cover.

Half considering getting a cheaper run around for commuting so less likely to be targeted...

Unfortunately any bike regularly parked on a street is going to be easy prey, lightweight locks will deter opportunists but if someone decides to take it then it's going, many many years ago in a galaxy far far ohh hold on wrong story, mate of mine had his bike stolen from university pay car park with security, turned up in a van, which actually drew attention to it from the office on 5th floor, ohh its OK I have 2 locks on it, out came the stihl saw and off went the locks, security didn't even manage to stop the van, which was also stolen, it was gone in the back of the van before they made it to the ground floor.

May the force be with you, as long as it's not the met.

Most covers come with a section that can cope with the heat of the exhaust, so you do not need to wait for the bike to cool. A lock and cover is just a way to make the bike less appealig and harder to steal, which is as much as you can do.

I would suggest this cover as it is cheap and has holes to loop a lock through;

https://www.ghostbikes.com/12282-ghostbikes-motorcycle-cover-large.html

and then a lock like this to go through the cover and the front wheel;

https://www.ghostbikes.com/9081-abus-steel-o-chain-iven-8210-chain-and-lock-110cm-8mm.html

which, it there is something to chain the bike to, means you have a bit more security again.

Edited by Throttled

I was recommending that type of chain and lock, rather than the make and model. The type which wants to curl back up on itself as that stays in place round the wheel.

• 1 month later...