2018 UK Challenge 100 - Discussion Thread

Grumpy Old Git

[mention]Grumpy Old Git[/mention]

What info should I put on display in the photos?

From what I've seen, only the bike OR myself in bike gear need to be in-shot.

And then it's my forum username, challenge number, and then is it just the name of the marker point? e.g. "Lincoln Tank Memorial"

Anything else?

EDIT: I guess I could put all that onscreen on my phone, and include that in the photo?

All you need is your number and you or the bike

The name of the place helps too ;-)

Edit the number needs to be written on view in the pic and not photoshopped in later :)

All you need is your number and you or the bike

The name of the place helps too ;-)

Edit the number needs to be written on view in the pic and not photoshopped in later :)

Slight explanation for the photo: You need your 'TAG' Number, plus the actual 'Tag' preferably with either you and/or your bike - However, sometimes this is not possible and just the 'Tag' number and the 'Tag' will suffice (i.e., you are on your own and don't have a selfie stick and the 'Tag' is too far from where you needed to park the bike. The main thing is the 'Tag' Number and 'tagged' 'tag' need to be in the picture. If you have forgotten to bring your 'Tag' number along, you can use sticks/twigs, etc. to fashion a temporary 'Tag' number at the time of the photo. Nuff said.... :thumb:

@Grumpy Old Git

And then it's my forum username, challenge number, and then is it just the name of the marker point? e.g. "Lincoln Tank Memorial"

Anything else?

EDIT: I guess I could put all that onscreen on my phone, and include that in the photo?

The important thing to remember is that this is deadly serious, rules are rules and failing to abide by them will give jobsworths a reason to get up in the morning. Make sure you read the subsections regarding clothing colour, the correct way to frame the photograph and abide by the approved list of motorcycle models. If questioned when participating, one has to reply with a terse “I vas only obeying orders.”

@Grumpy Old Git

Anything else?

The important thing to remember is that this is deadly serious, rules are rules and failing to abide by them will give jobsworths a reason to get up in the morning. Make sure you read the subsections regarding clothing colour, the correct way to frame the photograph and abide by the approved list of motorcycle models. If questioned when participating, one has to reply with a terse “I vas only obeying orders.”

Thank you. I had a feeling the others were trying to trick me.

May the best (wo)man win.

What if you forget your number and use twigs or bracken and when you get home and look at your photo to your horror a piece of said twig or bracken had fallen off.... would we face arrest or some sort of a whipping ?

The rules have NEVER been a problem in the past :roll:

If you don't like the rule then don't play and stop being a mardy arse :booty:

@Grumpy Old Git

Anything else?

Can we use Instagram filters?

The rules have NEVER been a problem in the past :roll:

If you don't like the rule then don't play and stop being a mardy arse :booty:

Do you want me to ban him Stu or will a warning suffice ? Personally I think a whipping is in order .

I always took part of the challenge to be to get the bike in the photo as well. The only time I failed was a statue in park in Hawick and that was because there were too many poeple around. I ended up taking a photo of my tag number (which is on a sheet of A4 in a poly pocket with some string to hang it off the bike) propped up against the statue. If it had been quiet, I would have gone for it. But that is just me...... :D

When did the rules change? I'm sure it used to require a rider in gear with the tag number as the very minimum? Some saddact could cheat this way :lol:.

I best get my number made up and collect my 3-4 local pubs and be done for the year :mrgreen: .

Re your claiming points for The George, but no tag number visible, by my reconning, based on how many "Georges" there are in Northants;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+george+northamptonshire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=isdUWuS6J8WKgAaw9Low

it would be easy enough for you to get another (or the same) one. I am quite sure at some point on your travels you will ride past a "George". Now, if you had ridden all the way to the Applecross Inn and realised no number, it would have been unreasonable to expect you to ride there again with a tag number. So you would have got the points. I would also have expected you to post other photos with the tag number on a trip to Applecross, which would indicate you at least went out with the tag number.

Therefore, my decision is, no points.

How about, [mention]Mawsley[/mention] can claim whatever points he likes since it's just for fun and to encourage us to ride to different places? And, we can individually choose whether to ignore his score or not?

And, maybe we can give him the benefit of the doubt on this one and say we'll recognise his score for now but ignore it if he continues to "forget" his placard?

Maybe I'm just being sensible and serious, when you're all just having a bit of fun, but I can't quite feel the sarcasm. Let's all enjoy the challenge and a bit of gentle banter. :cheers:

We have managed to do this for several years without any big problems!

Please appreciate the effort involved in setting it up!!

I am saddened, disappointed and angry all at once! :twisted:

If people don't like the rules don't play!

Do Not spoil it for everyone else with constant bickering and sarcastic comments!

I don't think there is any big problems. The way I see it, the rules are there to give a framework for us all to have fun and share our experiences.

There's no prizes, so no need to get upset if people apply the rules differently.

If I was Mawsley, I'd claim the points and leave it at that. If I wasn't Mawsley, which I'm not, I'd admire that he got out on his bike in January and remembered to take a photo to share with us.

Neither party needs to let it get in the way of what we all seem to agree is a worthwhile experience.

:angel12:

If I wasn't Mawsley, which I'm not,

This double negative belies your nefarious scheme. you are mawsley then. :scratch:

:? I'm not even sure myself now. I've never been to The George though, so that tells you all you need to know. Or not. :mrgreen:

There is leeway. But there still needs to be rules. It is a challenge after all and it should need a bit of thought and planning.

I rode 120 miles round trip to near Edinburgh and photographed my bike with the Forth Bridge. I positioned my bike with its tag and the road bridge. I should have photoed the rail bridge. I was given the points because I was clearly there, with a tag doing the challenge. I would give Mawsley the points if it was a situation like that. I would have riden back to the Forth Bridge if I lived in Edinburgh and it was straighforward. (I was passing later that year and did take a photo out of principle).

I also rode to the Drover's Inn (a tag again this year) which is a 74 mile round trip and realised I had forgotten my number. I borrowed a pen and a bit of paper and used that.

There is leeway. But there still needs to be rules. It is a challenge after all and it should need a bit of thought and planning.

I rode 120 miles round trip to near Edinburgh and photographed my bike with the Forth Bridge. I positioned my bike with its tag and the road bridge. I should have photoed the rail bridge. I was given the points because I was clearly there, with a tag doing the challenge. I would give Mawsley the points if it was a situation like that. I would have riden back to the Forth Bridge if I lived in Edinburgh and it was straighforward. (I was passing later that year and did take a photo out of principle).

I also rode to the Drover's Inn (a tag again this year) which is a 74 mile round trip and realised I had forgotten my number. I borrowed a pen and a bit of paper and used that.

Borrowing pen and paper :shock: is that in the rules , I think not ... whipping or a warning Stu ?

Borrowing pen and paper :shock: is that in the rules , I think not ... whipping or a warning Stu ?

10 extra points for initiative. :wink: