YBR 125 low compression. What would be the bill?

ortonas

Hey people,

Basically, the bike brokedown, engine cut off, weird sound when coming to halt. AA trying fixing it - nothing. Dragged it to the local dealer's. Next day they say it's a low compression issue and it might cost 500-600 quid + depending on what they find + other things.

So, considering that even if the bike was running, 2012 YBR with 13.5k miles, I wouldn't ask more than 900 quid for it anyway. So gambling asking them to repair doesnt make much sense to me. YBR being simple and generic bike I doubt I would sell no-starter for more than 100-200 quid that's provided if anyone would want it.

So what do you think? Does it all make sense? I have no space or skills to be undertaking the repairs myself so that's out of the question

Ebay options looks decent to me.

And I do basic maintenance myself, but busy parking lot is not a place where I would want to spend the whole day taking engine apart and maybe putting it back together

some people have no sense of adventure, my mam went off shopping when i was a kid one sat morning, when she returned there was a range rover gearbox on the kitchen table complete with transfer box, my dad was very careful though he put extra supports under it.

I love the dishwasher for cleaning engine parts, the wife was a bit disagreeable to start with but shes fine now :D

I love the dishwasher for cleaning engine parts, the wife was a bit disagreeable to start with but shes fine now :D

I used to do this when I was with the ex!

She came home and said awww thanks for putting the pots in the dishwasher!! she had a shock when she was taking a clutch basket out of it :lol:

Take engine out, put engine on kitchen table, fix in kitchen, drink tea, get grief, put engine back in bike, go for ride, forget about grief, buy new kitchen table. :D

Absolutely agree but could I suggest that you loosen the head bolts with the engine still in the frame so that you don't have to wrestle with it on the kitchen table . This way you will avoid knocking your tea over .

How can they quote you a price without stripping it to investigate the problem?

Well if they strip it and discover the problem and you decide not to proceed with the repair they aren't going to put it all back together again free of charge. It's quite certain to require a re bore and a new piston and they are probably going to use Yamaha genuine parts . So they have to quote you for a worst-case scenario. Like we have suggested , the cheapest option is to fit a cylinder and piston kit . Although you might believe that this is a Japanese bike , its actually a Chinese bike so Chinese replica parts are as good as any. There are more expensive kits but how do you know they aren't the same quality but with a higher price tag to make you think that they must be better ?

How can they quote you a price without stripping it to investigate the problem?

Well if they strip it and discover the problem and you decide not to proceed with the repair they aren't going to put it all back together again free of charge. It's quite certain to require a re bore and a new piston and they are probably going to use Yamaha genuine parts . So they have to quote you for a worst-case scenario. Like we have suggested , the cheapest option is to fit a cylinder and piston kit . Although you might believe that this is a Japanese bike , its actually a Chinese bike so Chinese replica parts are as good as any. There are more expensive kits but how do you know they aren't the same quality but with a higher price tag to make you think that they must be better ?

Bob. Low compression, it might just be a valve or gasket? An endoscope down the spark plug hole should tell you the state of the bore. All to often these days they just want to empty the stores without doing the diagnostic's.

Bob. Low compression, it might just be a valve or gasket? An endoscope down the spark plug hole should tell you the state of the bore. All to often these days they just want to empty the WALLET without doing the diagnostic's.

fixed it