Newbie looking for advice...

Having previously not had any interest in bikes I bought aVespa GTS 125 for my 50th birthday. Did the CBT, and have had close on 1500 miles on my vespa since August and have loved every mile, trouble is I want more...

Have just passed theory, I now know that I want a bike, I've had so much fun on the vespa I want to progress to a bike. Will soon do a quick three hour course with local training company to take me through gears.

My dilemma is do i buy a 125 (been looking at MT125's) to get experience or do I sign up for training on 600cc with training company for practical and road tests then buy a bigger bike once I have (hopefully) passed test? Is it worth investing in 125 to get experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you've got the choice, go for DAS. It will get you there quicker, and the instructors by and large do a good job of preparing you for the test without needing to run around on your own 125.

Normally I say get 125 whilst on CBT... But you already have a scooter you know you like it you will have gained some road skills, you still have a bike you can ride (even if a scooter)....

Go get on with your DAS forget 125 ...

If you've got the choice, go for DAS. It will get you there quicker, and the instructors by and large do a good job of preparing you for the test without needing to run around on your own 125.

Thanks for your reply - really helpful for me.

I passed my CBT and got a 125cc geared bike in October, whilst I love my bike and have a lot of fun with it id say to you if you already have experience on two wheels then maybe just go for a DAS and get something bigger.

From there you can then test ride some bikes to see which is best for you.

Go for DAS straight away, the experience you would gain from a 125 you have pretty much got from the vespa anyway. The only real difference is the gears but that's easy.

I did the DAS route with no prior experience of riding and I'm loving it.

Thanks for your 'unanimous' replies - appreciate the time you've taken to reply - not to mention a costly mistake you've saved me from making! :) :)

Just to come back says I wish I had not :D :D

Forum Wisdom LOL