Mobile Phones

MR_W

I'm coming up to contract renewal on 23rd feb and I'm trying to decide what to do phone wise. I could go the sim only route, but my partners phone is a bit of a dick, so she will get my current S7 Edge and I will take the hit on a new device (frankly I'm paying for the device regardless of if I give her the S7 or not).

I was initially thinking of sticking with an Android device, but I have had way more issues and annoyances with my 4 years of Android than I did with 4 years of iOS devices previous to that. My main complaints being updates broke on my Nexus 9, resulting in having to manually force updates on via PC to get the damn thing updating properly again. Music on Android has also proven pretty shocking, I have the album metadata for some songs re-written by Android so they appear as a different album and cover art seems to be hit and miss if it actually copies across. The lifespan for updates on Android devices also seems pretty poor compared to how long Apple devices get them for. My Android Wear watch won't be getting Wear 2 software for example despite not being that old.

With Apple, I can't change the default app to do certain actions as I am aware and the default mail app with Gmail is a bit shit. But I have coped with that before without getting too wound up. However iTunes does actually sync stuff properly and with Dropbox on any device, photo backup isn't a worry either.

So in my head I had narrowed my options down to a Pixel 2 XL before I had become so disillusioned with Android or going back to Apple with either an 8 Plus or an X.

I played with all 3 at the weekend, and the Pixel 2 phones actually kind of disappointed me. The screens didn't get near to Apple's or Samsung's and felt a bit meh. Plus the Android aspect. The 8 Plus and X felt really snappy and a much nicer build quality than the Pixel 2. I do feel I prefer fingerprint readers on the front, so 8 Plus hits that. The X is just FaceID as they couldn't get TouchID on the screen working, has anyone had much chance to try out FaceID and can give some feedback on it? I also know at least for the 8 Plus, I can get a waterproof case to use on my bike and still be able to charge it. The Galaxy S series has proven a hit or miss on that front.

My final option is the S9 series will be launched at MWC around the 28th February, so I can wait and see what that brings. However that is likely to be fingerprint on the back. Plus I will have the frustration of music on Android and no guarantee I can get a waterproof case to use on the bike with charging.

So what would people go for and for what reasons out of the following:

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone X

Samsung Galaxy S9

I'd personally go with the Samsung, but that's just me being fed up with Apple after a 4 year stint with them. I'd assume that waterproof bike cases for Samsung's would be as readily available as those for iPhones?

I'd personally go with the Samsung, but that's just me being fed up with Apple after a 4 year stint with them. I'd assume that waterproof bike cases for Samsung's would be as readily available as those for iPhones?

You would think, but the S7 edge has been near impossible to find. The S8 series do have them I think.

I was in the same boat as you, I went with the iPhone 8, personal choice really, I know some people who hate IOS, the 8 ticks all the boxes for me, links in nicely to my sat nav and also my helmet intercom, I'm used to using Apple so find the interface really easy to work with, quite intuitive, I would recommend going to the local shop and comparing the phones, have an idea of exactly what you want them to do and see what each one has to offer.

I'd say it's not too late to still consider the SIM only route. I cut my bill from about £46 a month to around £16, with more than double data usage. You said "regardless of whether I give her the S7 or not", so it seems like it's still an option to not have to upgrade your bird's phone. Just sayin' :wink:

I have an iPhone 7 and Google Pixel 2, both are great phones. I use the Pixel as a work phone as I found a lot of email attachments don’t work without having to download extra apps on the iPhone.

My partner has the iPhone X the Face ID is okay, not as fast as the Pixel and if it doesn’t work instantly you have to wait to put your passcode in. The Pixel has 3 options, Face ID, fingerprint, and passcode.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 S7 and S8 have all been waterproof and assuming the Galaxy S9 will be waterproof as well, no case required.

Not when charging sadly, hence why the case is required.

However was great when I "accidentally" dropped the S7 in the sink and scared her.

I'd say it's not too late to still consider the SIM only route. I cut my bill from about £46 a month to around £16, with more than double data usage. You said "regardless of whether I give her the S7 or not", so it seems like it's still an option to not have to upgrade your bird's phone. Just sayin' :wink:

Only if I wish to get daily whinging about the phone. Its my own fault, I skimped a bit when I got her this one and 8GB for Android really didn't go as far as I guessed it could.

I have an iPhone 7 and Google Pixel 2, both are great phones. I use the Pixel as a work phone as I found a lot of email attachments don’t work without having to download extra apps on the iPhone.

My partner has the iPhone X the Face ID is okay, not as fast as the Pixel and if it doesn’t work instantly you have to wait to put your passcode in. The Pixel has 3 options, Face ID, fingerprint, and passcode.

In fairness with my S7, I have quite regularly had to enter my passcode when my finger print has decided not to work. Didn't think the Pixel 2 had face ID but may have to look back into that.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 S7 and S8 have all been waterproof and assuming the Galaxy S9 will be waterproof as well, no case required.

Not when charging sadly, hence why the case is required.

However was great when I "accidentally" dropped the S7 in the sink and scared her.

I have used mine in the rain, as long as the charging port is at the bottom it's OK

I use a iPhone 8 Plus with a Quad Lock case and the appropriate attachments for all my vehicles. I use the Waze and Scenic sat navs for routes. I can plug the phone in to charge on all but my push bike. The Quad Lock case comes with a waterproof poncho but I haven't used it and the phone was fine in a torrential downpour going from Youles in Manchester to home, about 20 miles.

Until the galaxy S9 is released, I reckon the S8+ is the best phone on the market at the moment.

Guys at work with the iPhoneX all shouting its praises but have all had to come up with solutions to listen to music whilst it's charging as it only has one port!

Android for me has been a rock solid platform, never had any update problems and old phones keep running at the same speed unlike Apple devices which are (allegedly) deliberatly slowed down over time by Apple.

Also I just bought a new Dex docking station which lets me plug a mouse, keyboard and monitor into the S8+ and use it like a desktop pc.

Until the galaxy S9 is released, I reckon the S8+ is the best phone on the market at the moment.

Guys at work with the iPhoneX all shouting its praises but have all had to come up with solutions to listen to music whilst it's charging as it only has one port!

Android for me has been a rock solid platform, never had any update problems and old phones keep running at the same speed unlike Apple devices which are (allegedly) deliberatly slowed down over time by Apple.

Also I just bought a new Dex docking station which lets me plug a mouse, keyboard and monitor into the S8+ and use it like a desktop pc.

Guys at work haven't heard of airpods and a wireless charging pad have they?

Yep and they all rave about how cool wireless charging is, until I point out android devices have had it for years ;)

Yep and they all rave about how cool wireless charging is, until I point out android devices have had it for years ;)

I imagine the S9 phones will be very good. If I didn't have the issues with my music so consistently I probably would be getting one.

However I plan on setting up my own 355 system so at that point email and calendar across both android and iOS will be no issue. I guess it comes down to then how annoying I find not setting a default browser of my choice Vs my music been continuously screwed up.

I only get the luxury of my music when I am in my car (Bluetooth) or out and about on my own (so don't need to charge at that point).

What do you use for your music?

I just use Spotify these days, but in the past have used Google playon android with no problems.

Play Music, the Google system. Music in the web doesn't seem to rename, so it's something Samsung is doing I guess.

I used Spotify but can't afford the non ad version really as it wouldn't be used enough.

I have Amazon music, maybe worth me checking if I can upload songs there....

In my experience it doesn't matter what mobile you go for, their best use is to prop up the legs of a beehive stand to level it off, and android seem to work just as well as the apple stuff.

Never thought to use it like that.

I’ve not had an Android phone for a while-last one was an S2, had a Blackberry 10 phone for a bit, and it didn’t cause any problems but the lack of most apps was annoying, went to an iPhone 5S whenever that was new, currently got a 6S plus that’s over 2 years old and happy on a sim only until it breaks, then I will probably get a 7- the 8 and X are so expensive and I don’t see he point for features I won’t use.

It’s handy for iTunes and just made more sense as I’ve used Macs for quite a while, made the switch when Windows Vista came out and haven’t looked back.

Not allegedly, they actually admitted they do it to compensate for aging batteries, can be fixed by paying for the battery to be replaced!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2017/12/22/16807056/apple-slow-iphone-batteries

I'd steer clear of Apple, you get better specs for less money with android. But it's all down to personal taste really.

Must Admit I am and Android Fan then I am going to give another thought... Do you or your misses really need the latest phone?

Write down all the functions you use and see how it comes out....

Camera

GPS

EMail

Internet

Sat Nav Games

It did not take me long to work out I no longer needed the latest phone....

My most recent phone:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1366&bih=647&tbm=shop&ei=10hgWpnyD6GFgAadgZ7gAw&q=kodak+electra+unlocked&oq=kodak+electra+unlocked&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2251.7908.0.8237.17.13.4.0.0.0.102.1013.12j1.13.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.92...0.0.yLP2A5kenmU#spd=7574590818370587539

£100 and it does the job very nicely... Compared with £800 ish for latest and greatest that frankley seem to be full of gimmicks...

Like with computers originally you always wanted the latest fastest and greatest processor ram HD etc as they where actually better. Now my £300 laptop is capable of allot more than my Email wed browsing word processing, the odd bit of picture up loading. The odd bit of video editing I go is slow but not to painful. If I did it regularly I would look at better but as it is this is good enough...

I would say Ram 3g, 32 gig internal processor... If you look at allot of cheaper phones they often have something crippling limitation to encourage people to buy the Flagship phones a bit of smart buying and for £100-£200 you can get an unlocked phone sim free contract and buy a new phone every 12 months compared with £40 odd pound contract and insurance for phone...

As for those gimmicks, by the time I get wireless charging and finger print recognition they will be working. Android by the way had got face recognition but its a bit hit and miss...

This is not much help to the OP other than reading your mail your list of wants is talking you to Apple, if you have a Mac Ipad and all that stuff you would be silly to shift to Android. If you only have I phone you could be starting an expensive path to I Pad Mac etc etc....

Apple V Android - You always find someone who has switched between the 2 and says the last was the worst and next is better, personally I have got better things to spend money on than Apple or new high tech that I aint going to use....

As for SIm Free I have not met any one who has gone SIM free and regretted it... SO much cheaper.

SIM free is great. I get 22GB of data and free Spotify for 22quid per month. Spotify alone costs about half that so it's a great deal for me.

And if you can't afford to go SIM free immediately, take out a contract to get a new phone then part way through settle the account. It's a way of paying in installments until the settlement figure is affordable to pay off.