Bike randomly dies?? Help me please!

Norah93

Hey everyone

Its me again! Since I'm still learning about the 2 wheels World I'm not quite sure where to start so I'm just going to tell you what happened.

This morning I was on my way to work, I was approaching Elephant Castle (about 4 miles away from my house) when suddenly I feel the bike loosing power, I gave it some gas and it did not respond, I downshifted, hoping that it would start back up as I was rolling, but it was useless. I managed to stopped in a small side street (thank God for that) and after a few minutes of trying with the choke on and off, while pumping the throttle now and then, it finally started. It did not just fire right up, it was like it did not want to rev up at first, and then after about 10-15seconds, it cleaned up and was back to normal. It did it again at the same place on my way back from work (4 miles away again) tonight while I was going home (there must be something in Elephant Castle I swear...) but this time I notice that when I turned the bike off and on again there is this buzzing sound for like 5seconds on the left side down near the engine/ignition. I had to stop for 10 minutes after trying countless time since I didn't want to floated it. After another 10 minutes the bike started again with some throttle.

Also, the bike is a Virago XV535 1997 and it hasn't been used in a loooong time. So when the bike is cold it takes 5-7ninutes to get it started. I put a new battery in about 2 weeks ago now. One of my spark plugs is brand new and the other one is a good shape.

Sorry If this is a long one i don't know how to make it shorter

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm scared to go the a garage and being ripped off since I'm new to this world...

Thanks for your time!

The Buzzing noise is your fuel pump. its supposed to do it, you probably just havnt noticed it before OR its louder than normal because its struggling because of a blockage

When it is running how does it run? Ok or Good?

Sounds like crud in the fuel system to me. If it's been laid up a long time it might even just be moisture in there - and old trick used to be to add some meths to the tank, water won't mix with petrol but it will mix with meths, then the resulting water/meths emulsion will mix with petrol. Or there's something floating about in there which needs flushing out.

If you think it's flooded just crank the throttle fully open with the choke off.

As it has been stood for a while you could also try adding REDEX to the fuel to clear things out. Get the one for CARBS as opposed to injector cleaner. Its available on.

I went to buy some Redex this morning pour half of the bottle after a filled up the thank with some fresh petrol.

The bike runs fine to me except that I think I need to grease the throttle since sometimes it feels like it's stuck and sounds like I'm reving when I'm not

I was thinking to do a service on it since I got the bike in November and I couldn't drive since I was doing my lisence back in the time and then I left to go back home for Christmas. Would that be worth doing?

Must have changed since I last used redex!!!! Years ago was about 10ml to every 10 litres, and a 500ml bottle would treat 500litres of fuel, if you put in half a bottle in, I wouldn't let it sit for long I would get out and use it!!!

Must have changed since I last used redex!!!! Years ago was about 10ml to every 10 litres, and a 500ml bottle would treat 500litres of fuel, if you put in half a bottle in, I wouldn't let it sit for long I would get out and use it!!!

Hahahahhahahahhahaha my life sucks.

Well it said at the back

"Use every tank: remove cap and foil seal. Pour half a bottle into fuel tank before or after adding fuel."

Also, it's a 250ml bottle

Today it's my Murphy's law day.

Hahahahhahahahhahaha my life sucks.

Well it said at the back

"Use every tank: remove cap and foil seal. Pour half a bottle into fuel tank before or after adding fuel."

Also, it's a 250ml bottle

Today it's my Murphy's law day.

As I said may have changed! unless they mean a car tank! not used any for years now. I expect someone who uses it regular may let us know :D

Sounds like carb icing to me!

The jets get covered in ice and freeze up stopping the fuel getting through leaving it about 5 to ten mins and all will be well again

By the time you have messed with fuel additives and had a clean of the carbs etc the weather will have warmed up a touch and it will have stopped doing it which makes people think the additives are good when in actual fact they have done nothing!

Redex I use 1/2 a bottle before a run which will use most of tank then top up... Always thought its best to get redex through quick in warm engine....Others may feel different. Other thing you could do is Syphon out all the petrol you can out of the tank through a fuel funnel with filter, then poor back in leaving crud out of bottom, also lets you check for water...

As for sticking throttle a bike thats been laid up for a whilst could have lots of issues is there an easy place to get some WD40 down the throttle cable and , if it has choke cable that as well... Spray WD40 round engine and Carbs work the throttle cable/ choke cable after you sprayed.

Personally never understood replacing one Spark plug.

Other thing I would do if confident is take it for a long run, like an hour or 2 preferably getting engine hot an italian tune up... Or kill or cure LOL....

As for sticking throttle a bike thats been laid up for a whilst could have lots of issues is there an easy place to get some WD40 down the throttle cable and , if it has choke cable that as well... Spray WD40 round engine and Carbs work the throttle cable/ choke cable after you sprayed.

Not advisable to use wd40 as it will chase any grease/oil away out the cables and soon dry out making the problem worse!

A light oil is best to use something like 3 in 1 is good

Slightly irrelevant but somewhere in my classic car files is the chemical composition of Redex which is long and complicated but basically it's the same as the stuff you can buy to clean gummed up hydraulic lifters, which is quite good news 'cos that stuff actually works.

The Buzzing noise is your fuel pump. its supposed to do it, you probably just havnt noticed it before OR its louder than normal because its struggling because of a blockage

When it is running how does it run? Ok or Good?

You can probably hear it because you have taken your helmet off.

Pure guess, but when a bike dies in the same place on the same journey it can be that a coil is packing up . It's because its got to the same temperature, usually happens after about three miles . Happened to me years ago . I got stranded in Aberystwyth, every time I got to exactly the same place the bike went onto two cylinders. I would go back to the campsite, mess with the carbs while the bike cooled down, everything would be fine so I would set off again and after three miles it would conk out again in the same place. Turned out to be a knackered coil but all the symptoms suggested fuel and plugs .

when a bike dies in the same place on the same journey it can be that a coil is packing up

Or shes driving over a portal to hell?

It is London after all

Watch the skies and check your watch .http://i.imgur.com/3rrr14q.jpg

Edited by fastbob

And carry a bag of salt just incase

I've been practising the past few days to circle myself and the bike with salt in case some demons would be around Elephant Castle

So I've been sick due to some heavy rain here in London and I couldn't ride much. I haven't had that problem since I put some Redex in the tank and I also done about 80miles before I refilled the tank again but this time without the product. I notice that now the bike starts much faster than before but When the bike is cold it sputters a little for like 5 minutes and stops when it's warm. I do have more acceleration as well.

These are the only changes that I've felt since I put Redex in the tank.

Is that a good sign? I'm guessing that the sputter could be that there is still crap in the lines or the tank?

And carry a bag of salt just incase

I've been practising the past few days to circle myself and the bike with salt in case some demons would be around Elephant Castle

So I've been sick due to some heavy rain here in London and I couldn't ride much. I haven't had that problem since I put some Redex in the tank and I also done about 80miles before I refilled the tank again but this time without the product. I notice that now the bike starts much faster than before but When the bike is cold it sputters a little for like 5 minutes and stops when it's warm. I do have more acceleration as well.

These are the only changes that I've felt since I put Redex in the tank.

Is that a good sign? I'm guessing that the sputter could be that there is still crap in the lines or the tank?

I would still look to:

1) Syphon out all the petrol you can out of the tank, then you can see the state of the petrolin the tank...

2) Spray with WD40 - Never does any harm.

3) If you can find the drain screw for the carbs drain some fuel off through there as well.

4) Other thing I would do if confident is take it for a long run, like an hour or 2 preferably getting engine hot an italian tune up.

All of these things are easy to do and none will do any harm.

If you can find your air filter it never does any harm to look at it and see if it is clear...

Was it really cold when it happened ?

It could be carb icing especially in same location if there is a dramatic temperature drop in that location

Doh ... just seen Stu's post on the same subject ...

Agree...doesn't even have to be that cold...just above freezing will do it. Only on some bikes - I had an Electraglide Sport that was very prone to it. Took me about 1/2 hour to work out what was going on.....