Mod 1 fail

All went ok until emergency braking - got that very bad habit to press a clutch lever. !@#$% Blocked back wheel and failed.

Please advise, how to get rid if that habit, I've got time till Monday midday :) Practise only and think every time until it become a babit?

Thanks

Seb

Basically you've answered the question yourself - get on it and practice. Just get it into your head that leaving the clutch alone gives you more control. Start slow - like learning anything - you need to develop muscle memory so it becomes instinctive.

All went ok until emergency braking - got that very bad habit to press a clutch lever. !@#$% Blocked back wheel and failed.

Please advise, how to get rid if that habit, I've got time till Monday midday :) Practise only and think every time until it become a babit?

Thanks

Seb

Sorry to hear your failed mate,

This is the second time I've seen the part in bold though, am I being daft - pulling the clutch lever in won't cause you to lock the back wheel? If you did lock the back wheel I'm sure that's just too much pressure on the rear brake.

They could possibly fail you on pulling the clutch in early as your loosing a slight amount of engine braking, with regards the rear locking, you only need a slight amount of rear brake, they can't tell if your pressing hard or just a little.

You need to get into a routine and get so used to it that you don't have to think about it.

Front brake and brake progressively harder as you slow the more you slow the more you can apply it, back brake same time as the front and to be honest as long as they see your foot move you should be fine, and as your coming to a stop clutch in.

Remember your front brake does most of the work and the weight of you and your bike gets transferred to it so if you apply too much pressure on rear it will lock up.

Sorry to see you failed, good luck with the next one.

When I did my CBT the instructors were talking about a debate they had over locking rear wheel with examiners, basically one examiner would allow a small amount of rear wheel locking if rider was still in control and not 'excessive' (but would not give an opinion on what was excessive) another said any locking at all is loosing control therefore a straight fail. As a result of that they now teach on emergency stop to only use front brake and to just pretend to use rear.

You need to keep the clutch out so that the engine continues to try and drive the rear wheel, this will stop it from locking unless you are very cack-footed.

Source - failed Mod 1 by locking the rear because I was pulling the clutch in (OPERATE ALL THE THINGS!), examiner explained why the clutch should be kept out and not touched until basically stopped. It works.

I'd like to thank everyone of you for the opinion/advise.

I'm at work Wed and Thu, but on Fri I'm back on training. The exam is not a difficult one, I know. I'll pass it sooner or later. But better sooner, because it is very expensive - £145.5 each time ;)

Once again, thank you

Seb

When I did my CBT the instructors were talking about a debate they had over locking rear wheel with examiners, basically one examiner would allow a small amount of rear wheel locking if rider was still in control and not 'excessive' (but would not give an opinion on what was excessive) another said any locking at all is loosing control therefore a straight fail. As a result of that they now teach on emergency stop to only use front brake and to just pretend to use rear.

This.

I was told to just cover the rear brake so that it looked as if I was using it. Other option - get a bike with abs ?

Front brake squeeze will naturally draw your hand forward to reduce revs, cause front to dip increasing front tyre surface friction, once front dips and bike noticeably slows then lightly on the rear simply for control and increase slowing rate, clutch only to avoid stalling so apply last thing. Most important is don’t use rear brake first or as a main brake and don’t grab at the front brake. Front brake does 90% of the work.

Buzz, that's what I do.

Speedy23, I'm working on it as well.

I feel more confident now then on the exam. My instructor is happy too, so there's an improvement :D

Once again, thank you all.

Seb

Try practising an initial squeeze of both brakes, briefly let them out smoothly, then smoothly apply again until you stop. Even if you can't help pulling the clutch in, this should prevent your back wheel locking up, because you've taken off the top end of your speed before you apply the brakes a second time.

Try practising an initial squeeze of both brakes, briefly let them out smoothly, then smoothly apply again until you stop. Even if you can't help pulling the clutch in, this should prevent your back wheel locking up, because you've taken off the top end of your speed before you apply the brakes a second time.

You missed the boat he passed.

Well done, good luck on Fri.

You missed the boat he passed.

Well done, good luck on Fri.

Haha, I do believe you're correct :lol: Congrats and good luck for Mod 2!

It was a happy morning for me - I have passed a Mod 2 exam :D

The insurance company informed (no change to premium though), L-plates got rid off.

I hope, in few months time, to buy a Suzuki V-strom 650.

Thank you all for the support and advice!

Seb

:bike2: