Cornering

One thing I've noticed I do quite a lot is, on really steep corners, I end up not turning into it properly and instead end up going really slowly to avoid crashing into a curb or something. I do this VERY frequently even in slightly damp conditions. In dry I'm a lot more confident.

Anyone have any tips to get around that? I watched my dad corner as I was following him and he turned into it like it was nothing, yet when I did it at the same sorta speed I had to change my speed as I almost went into the curb.

are you looking at the curb? Target fixation is the biggest cause of "oh a curb.. don't want to hit that.. oh crap I'm going straight towards it... oh dear"

Look round the corner to where you want to go, and I mean round it not at that curb! Also head up, looking down will also spoon up your line.

:thumb:

As above, you must look where you want to go, i.e. head up and look fully round the corner. Also get used to seeing where the apex is and the vanishing point so you can throttle up as you come out of the corner.

Without being the boring bloke

Ipsga

Information

- what information is given about the bend.

Road markings and signs , limit point ( how far you can clearly see the the road ahead) , crossview of road layout ( can you see over the hedge and see where the road heads ( telephone lines , hedges wtc etc) . Whats the road surface like , any drain covers potholes etc .

Position

- Rule 1 never sacrifice safety for a better view .

Left hand bends where possible without sacrificing safety adopt a position near to the centre lines of road ( dont straddle lines , be prepared to move inwards to keep safety ) for the approach and beginning of the corner . This will allow you a enhanced view of the bend and the road ahead , it gives you more information .

And for right hand bends where its safe to do so move towards the kerb/ hedge on the approach ( watch for debris / manholes etc) .

This is not a hard and fast rule the main underlying constant is Safety .

Speed

- adopt the correct relevant speed based on your observations for road layout , conditions..

Limit point and that links to .

Gears -

be in the right gear ... you want a gear that allows flexibility, to accelerate and hold the bike constant without having to change gear in the corner .

Acceleration -

Is the limit point moving away ( bend is opening possibility to accelerate )

is the limit point static( bend is not changing severity or getting shallower ) maintain constant speed .

Is the limit point getting nearer ( bend is getting tighter ) decrease speed using accelerator sense ( gently power down on throttle but gently ) until the speed is suitable and limit point information allows you change

As the road opens up look ahead and plan what your going to do using IPSGA

Don't get lulled into the i must ride like a GP rider clipping the apex all times with my knee on the floor .

Racetracks very rarely have hedges and potholes ( i know the TT does ok ) and they have a clear open view and they Don't have oncoming traffic to consider either .

It all comes down to confidence and experience

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciated, I'll work on all of them (I.E. Target fixation and going out to do some basic practice on the bike)

Slow control doesn't really seem to be my issue, I can do slow control no problem, it's turning corners at speed that I seem to struggle on, I feel like I want to go into it but I get nervous about going over too much and coming off and then I back off causing the problem. I feel like it's mostly the shit weather we're having at the moment, it's rarely dry and the roads are mostly damp which is where I've always gotten a bit more nervous, I know riding in the rain you have to be a bit more cautious, but I'm getting afraid about even turning into things and having the bike at an angle when I turn. (For reference, as the type of bike probably makes a difference, I have a sporty naked bike with clip ons)

I have been watching "A twist of the wrist" as I was recommended it, one thing that did stick with me was pushing into my turns (I.E. Push right to turn right, push left to turn left) and that's been helping me with my turns, I think I'm probably just getting a bit nervous over turns and that's causing the issue.

Sinnis-Stealth.jpg

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciated, I'll work on all of them (I.E. Target fixation and going out to do some basic practice on the bike)

Slow control doesn't really seem to be my issue, I can do slow control no problem, it's turning corners at speed that I seem to struggle on, I feel like I want to go into it but I get nervous about going over too much and coming off and then I back off causing the problem. I feel like it's mostly the shit weather we're having at the moment, it's rarely dry and the roads are mostly damp which is where I've always gotten a bit more nervous, I know riding in the rain you have to be a bit more cautious, but I'm getting afraid about even turning into things and having the bike at an angle when I turn. (For reference, as the type of bike probably makes a difference, I have a sporty naked bike with clip ons)

I have been watching "A twist of the wrist" as I was recommended it, one thing that did stick with me was pushing into my turns (I.E. Push right to turn right, push left to turn left) and that's been helping me with my turns, I think I'm probably just getting a bit nervous over turns and that's causing the issue.

Sinnis-Stealth.jpg

Its only because your shitting yourself about comming off the bike, as you enter the corner your brain is asking loads of questions, to fast? Is it damp? Is there gravel? Will i hit the kerb and as a result you slow down.

MCrider and RoadCraftNottingham both have excellent training videos for motorcyclists. I have spent hundreds of hours watching Youtube videos and even more hours putting the lessons into practice. It is well worth the effort.

Here is one from MCRider:

">