Ron Haslam Race School

mikestrivens

Just booked a Premier Plus course at Ron Haslan race school to hone my skills and remove any bad motorcycling habits I may have picked up over the years.

Edited by mikestrivens

JEALOUS

You don’t need to be. Anybody can go on these schools.

I'm poor :crybaby:

Calling the Hogg Father ... Hoggs wants one of them dad loans , you know the ones you don't have to pay it back :D

You don’t need to be. Anybody can go on these schools.

Calling the Hogg Father ... Hoggs wants one of them dad loans , you know the ones you don't have to pay it back :D

Too bad, already booked this years hols. No money left. :lol: :lol:

Too bad, already booked this years hols. No money left. :lol: :lol:

Where you going ... I heard the Ron Haslem Race School is nice this time of year , don't think children are allowed so you couldn't of took Hoggs any way :D

Just booked a Premier Plus course at Ron Haslan race school to hone my skills and remove any bad motorcycling habits I may have picked up over the years.

I've heard of Ron Haslam the motorcycle racer , who's this other guy ? :?

JEALOUS

Tbh and in my opinion its just a taster to track riding.

Its expensive aswell.

The only advantage is that you can drive there in a car with nothing and use there bikes and kit.

You could book a JW training day and hire a bike with loads more track time.

Or just hire a bike £240 (all fuel/tyre warmers and a pit man) and book a trackday and fill your boots.

Or just hire a bike £240 (all fuel/tyre warmers and a pit man) and book a trackday and fill your boots.

ooh the JW ones have free tea and coffee..... don't really want to use my bike the first time I try it though

ooh the JW ones have free tea and coffee..... don't really want to use my bike the first time I try it though

The price to hire a newish honda/suzuki with smallboy hire was £240 last year.

Thats all in, tyres/fuel/tea and coffee a bloke to put the bike in the stands and fit warmers/rain tyres and he changes the wheels.

If you crash and snap a lever you pay for the lever, write the bike off into millions of tiny bits and it cost you a max of £500.

But the chances of crashing your own bike is slim.

Ive been doing it since mid 2014 now and only crashed 7ish times and 5 of them was this year :shock:

Safer then niping to the shops :thumb:

• 2 months later...

I did the RHRS in 2007. You get a classroom talk then you get kitted up. They show you how to hang off a stationary bike and then you get assigned a coach who basically pulls you round the track as fast as you can go. You got 3 x 15 min sessions. It was over by about 12:30

I've just been onto the site and it look like they've changed things a bit since I was there so you might get a bit more track time, although it doesn't state how long the 3 sessions are (bit crafty that)

Is this a Chinese knock-off of the Ron Haslam Race School? Might be a bit cheaper.......how fast can you actually go on a Sinnis 125? Didn't even know you could get slicks for 'em..... :roll: .

OK! What a fantastic day. Weather was 16 degrees when I left Stockport just before lunch to go to Donnington. By the time I arrived at 1:30 it was 22 degrees and hardly a cloud in the sky. Spent an hour watching other groups doing their training laps to see if I could get any clues, not really. At appointed time went and signed in and then went to get kitted up. All newish kit and clean as well. Then called to a safety briefing and let out into pit lane and met instructor. I was on a one to one course so we could work on whatever I wanted. Basically I just wanted to be a more relaxed rider and to handle the bike better. I had no pretensions about being a racer or even worrying about getting my knee down. We were allocated our bikes a Honda CBR600RR.

My instructor was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Barton who was really nice and helpful. We agreed a set of simple hand instructions and then went out onto the track.

We did about two or three laps of the main race track to get used to the bike and the circuit. I must admit I have never ridden a sports bike (VFR800 doesn't count) and I was amazed at how light and responsive it was. I also had to ditch my spectacles as they wouldn't stay in place, I think I might have to get some varifocal contact lenses for this biking lark. Anyway after about another three laps we went back to the pits for a brief feedback, must relax and move around more, use more revs. I also found it strange not having mirrors and relying on the instructor to tell me to move over to let others pass. Also the bikes didn't have gear indicators or even speedo. Once I got used to all of that I just concentrated on riding, braking harder and accelerating faster. I was amazed at how much grip the tyres had - standard Dunlop Roadsmart III. Mind you they had been well warmed up and the track must have been around 30 degrees by the time I got out there. Then went out again and did about five laps - felt much more confident and started to really enjoy myself. Red flags were up so we went back to the pits (don't know what happened - found out later) whilst they cleared the track. Ten minutes we were back out doing more laps. I got faster and faster as I got more confident and even overtook a couple of the slower riders. Overall I guess we did around 20 - 25 laps, I lost count, and the session lasted just over an hour. That was enough for me as the first time and I started to make some minor mistakes so was quite glad when we finished. We went and de-kitted and retrieved our belongings and then had a debrief session. The guy who had come off was there and he was completely fine, not a bruise on him. That's why track days are so much better than roads for this sort of thing.

So all in all an excellent day. Would I do it again - yes at the drop of a hat. Mind you the weather was stunning. And Donnington is a lovely circuit. When I left at 5:30 it was around 24 degrees and everybody was sitting in the pub gardens on the way home. I'm pleased I took the car down as I was pretty tired and sitting in my nice comfortable air conditioned Mercedes was very pleasant for the drive back. I took a few pictures and when I've worked out how to get them off my camera I'll pop them up here. I didn't bother with the professional one as one person on a motorbike with all the gear on looks like anybody else.

So if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Sounds like you had a good day......impressed that you had the sense to knock it on the head when you were starting to get tired. Photos would be good - please post some when you've worked out how. Yeah, weather was great down here as well, more to come tomorrow!

Sounds good I’d really like to give one of these days a go! Also no Speedos on track is to stop you from being distracted :). Loads of people will want to see what speed they get to on the straight and potentially miss the corner.