Adjusting the chain in relation to the break pedal adjusting nut

Scox91

Hi Everyone

Not sure if anyone can help me, this will be the second time I will be adjusting my chain and id like to know if one of the steps involved is actually required.

My manual states that I need to 'loosen the brake pedal free play adjusting nut' and the 'brake torque rod nut'. This confuses me as ever since I have had the bike (purchased new and has had 600m service) this nut has never been tightened to a lock. So do I just leave this or just loosen it further than it already is?

I understand all the other steps involved but this one confuses me a little as it makes me think does it even need to be done?

Apologies if this makes me come across a little dumb but as you can probably tell I'm not the best when it comes to maintenance etc. lol

Is it a drum brake on the rear? When you push the pedal it moves a rod which activates the drum. You set the brake pressure by adjusting a nut on the back of the rod and you wouldn't want it wound in tight. I assume it means this?

I assume you mean the nut at the end of the brake rod and the rear brake lever arm on the hub? A picture would be helpful? When you pull the wheel back with the chain adjusters, it also pulls the rear brake hub back and reduces the amount of free play on the rear brake. If you adjust the chain, then tighten the rear spindle nut, you should check the amount of free play that remains. If you need more, just turn the nut anticlockwise 1/2 or a full turn.

Edited by megawatt

Nothing much to add except YES you do need to slacken these off because moving the wheel back a small amount will decrease the amount of travel on the brake pedal . Slackening the nut on the brake stay rod just let's the hub revolve a tiny amount. If you imagine trying to move the wheel back as far as it will go you will see more clearly why you need to do this.

Yes that's the manual I am working from :)

Last time I adjusted it I just loosened the nut about 3 turns, tightened the chain and after locking everything back up I tightened it back 3 turns. This was shortly before taking it in for its 600m service and I asked them to check it all over to see if I did an ok job to which they said it all seemed fine.

I was just a little confused about it all and I really appreciate your responses as I really have no idea when it comes to this stuff and feel pretty useless, but I want to keep doing these things myself and learn bike maintenance etc.

Loosen first as stated then, after adjusting for correct chain tension, tighten to give correct amount of free travel on the brake pedal. Finally, tighten locknut onto adjuster nut to prevent 'slipping'.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask questions - we all had to learn from scratch.

8-)