Lost all confidence in riding..... (test now passed)

BigHeavy1095

Well done on the pass! Passed Mod 2 a few weeks ago and just got my first big bike. I'm also not the most confident rider and have only been out by myself a couple of times in the last few weekends. Only done about 80 miles but each time out it gets better as I'm sure it will for you. I'm in Streetly, so not far from you. If the weekend weather is dry and you want to ride or any advice from my experience of mod 1 and 2 let me know. Cheers and good luck!

Well done on the pass! Passed Mod 2 a few weeks ago and just got my first big bike. I'm also not the most confident rider and have only been out by myself a couple of times in the last few weekends. Only done about 80 miles but each time out it gets better as I'm sure it will for you. I'm in Streetly, so not far from you. If the weekend weather is dry and you want to ride or any advice from my experience of mod 1 and 2 let me know. Cheers and good luck!

Thanks for the offer, can't ride my own bike at the moment as I had a off a few days ago and the bars are bent, waiting for my new bars to arrive. I usually work weekends but if I get one free I'll let you know.

Honestly I think I've got the mod1 stuff sorted and my instructor said I have too, reckons we've practiced it so much I shouldn't get any minors :lol: the avoidance maneuver is the one I get shaky on so hopefully I don't mess up on the day :lol:

Edited by BigHeavy1095

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is something you do or don't do because I couldn't really tell, but at about 5 mins in you were approaching some lights and they started to go amber, you (i think) pulled the clutch in and started braking causing you to take longer to stop. If I've misread this then disregard whatever I say here but when stopping, you want to pull your clutch in only when you're just about finished moving on a 125. Engine braking is one of the great factors of a bike and you should be taking full advantage when you're trying to stop. Again, if that wasn't correct then disregard this but other than that your riding certainly looks better.

I don't know if this is something you do or don't do because I couldn't really tell, but at about 5 mins in you were approaching some lights and they started to go amber, you (i think) pulled the clutch in and started braking causing you to take longer to stop. If I've misread this then disregard whatever I say here but when stopping, you want to pull your clutch in only when you're just about finished moving on a 125. Engine braking is one of the great factors of a bike and you should be taking full advantage when you're trying to stop. Again, if that wasn't correct then disregard this but other than that your riding certainly looks better.

No, I was engine braking. Usually, I don't even need to touch the brakes when stopping for a traffic light etc but I've been having issues where the bike stalls out in 1st if engine braking and you don't pull the clutch in soon enough so that's why it looks that way, I get what I can out of the gears when braking. Just my bike is a pile of crap and could do with a major overhaul :lol: :roll: :lol:

No, I was engine braking. Usually, I don't even need to touch the brakes when stopping for a traffic light etc but I've been having issues where the bike stalls out in 1st if engine braking and you don't pull the clutch in soon enough so that's why it looks that way, I get what I can out of the gears when braking. Just my bike is a pile of crap and could do with a major overhaul :lol: :roll: :lol:

Sounds good dude, like I said I wasn't 100% sure :P

I was going to say are you sure it's YOU that's lost confidence in your RIDING and not your bike. The best biker in the world could ride a shitty bike and not want to get back on the road, I'd say your issue mostly falls down to having a bad bike. Once you get on a bigger one I think you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Mod2 tomorrow. :shock:

I've had a back to back lesson today and Im having two hours out before going for test tomorrow. Im feeling fairly confident but im sure Ill be bricking it tomorrow :lol:

I've cleaned and polished the Burgman, got insurance ready to be purchased and filled it up with petrol in the hopes I don't screw up and do something silly on test so I can go for a lovely long ride in the afternoon. 8-)

Edited by BigHeavy1095

Mod2 tomorrow. :shock:

I've had a back to back lesson today and Im having two hours out before going for test tomorrow. Im feeling fairly confident but im sure Ill be bricking it tomorrow :lol:

Good luck :thumb: