Best way to go about a pay rise?

Ricky

Good afternoon fellow bikers 8-)

I know it’s not exactly bike related but I know a fair few of you are fairly clued up on this stuff.

I’m 21 and work at a company called Protyre in Southport, it’s a fairly big company that seemed to have started out of nowhere.

Now, I’ve worked with them for the past 9 months, I worked at an engine reconditioning place for just over 3 years prior. I’m the only ‘technician’ here that is Capable of the more ‘advanced’ jobs such as cam belts, cam chains, clutches etc.

We have two other ‘technicians’, one is in his 60s and generally just does the MOT side of things and another lad who’s in his 30s and takes a lot longer than I to do basic jobs.

I’m on the same wage as the lad in his 30s, which isn’t particularly much for what I do.

Now, am I being cheeky asking for a pay rise after only 9 months?

If not, how do I go about asking for one and which format is generally best?

PS: this company has just put me through my MOT course and an IMI level 3 light vehicle course.

Thank youuuu

When it comes to it for me, my technique will be to find a new job on more money and then give the company the option of paying me more or letting me go :wink:. That's only helpful if you don't mind moving jobs if they won't match/better the new rate though.

When it comes to it for me, my technique will be to find a new job on more money and then give the company the option of paying me more or letting me go :wink:. That's only helpful if you don't mind moving jobs if they won't match/better the new rate though.

I was thinking about doing that, but where I work is only 10 minutes from my house which is ideal for me.

I also get along with 3/5 of the staff here really well.

:cheers:

The best way to do it is ask for a meeting with your boss about performance. Make sure he/she knows it's important to you.

When you sit down, just say you wanted feedback on how you're doing at the company. You want their impression first as how you respond will depend on this.

Once you have that, offer your own feedback. Say what you're happy with at the place, and bring it round to saying that you wanted to discuss job role/pay as the only gripe you have is that you are able to do much more advanced work than your equivalent peer, but your pay package doesn't reflect this.

Let your enthusiasm show, say you would take on a different role to facilitate a raise in pay.

Another important thing I'd do is explicitly say that you wanted to discuss this with the manager directly rather than look for other work. You want to appear loyal, and also it's a nice personal touch that you felt the manager was approachable.

Similar happened at my workplace, I had empty promises from a department for a couple of years before I moved to a new position in the company. I made it clear I wanted to move up sooner rather than later but would do what I had to so I could prove myself. Saying this and my continued work meant it came much sooner than I'd expected. So it's important to ask.

Good luck Mr Ricky!

Edited by Fozzie

Bide your time and wait until you have been there over 12 months. Do your job to the best of your ability (which sometimes means going the extra mile nowadays) and prove to your boss that you are worth the extra money. Try and make yourself as indispensable as you possibly can. Remember you are only there to your make your boss money. You are only there to pay your bills and hopefully have a bit left to enjoy life. You will always think that you are worth more than your boss wants to pay you. That’s a fact.

As has been mentioned, look elsewhere and keep your options open. When the times comes for the pay rise talk you will hopefully have a bit of leverage for negotiation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fullscreenaging

You could ask if the additional training / responsibility you have had, ie MOT etc, puts you on a higher pay grade. However as Fullscreenaging has said i would wait for 12 months when you should be getting a review before raising the question.

I generally use our local Protyre for the car and they now do bike tyres. :D

What discount do i get for knowing you. :lol:

Schedule a meeting with the MD.

Start with "I'm going to be honest, I want a payrise"

Make a ridiculous demand of 20% increase

Laugh all the way home when he agrees :lol:

(I work in a crazy place other people's advice is probably better for a sensible company!)

Schedule a meeting with the MD.

Start with "I'm going to be honest, I want a payrise"

Make a ridiculous demand of 20% increase

Laugh all the way home when he agrees :lol:

(I work in a crazy place other people's advice is probably better for a sensible company!)

20% is not ridiculous, 100% would be ridiculous.

12months, ask for meeting as has been said be straight, if your not happy with the outcome, smile and go find another job.

Could they come up with a bonus time related pay increase if the other lad is slow and you do more than him let it be known.

Best job I ever had everything was time based, all the times were set by workshop at head office they were slow as fcuk and wanted plenty of time to complete things, worked great for me, could nock loads off the jobs, problem came with time slips, which still had to be filled in, I would often on paper finish at 6am and start again at 7 one hr later, used to drive the wage girl round the bend, unfortunately they folded and I still cry to this day lol

Thanks everyone for your advice, I’ve decided I’ll wait until the 12 month mark before I ask for a raise.

It’s a little infuriating that I’m doing 3x the work as other staff members for the same wage but as a couple of you have said if they don’t give me more in a few months I’ll just walk.

Kind of kicking myself as I was offered a job at Renault doing the same kind of thing for 3500 more a year but I turned it down because I’d just started at protyre :lol:

[mention]JRH[/mention] they’re cost plus a pound to me, you’d have to come to Southport though :lol:

I got told I wouldn't be getting a pay rise just before Xmas despite it being a year and a half.

I should hopefully start my new job in April.

12months, ask for meeting as has been said be straight, if your not happy with the outcome, smile and go find another job.

Could they come up with a bonus time related pay increase if the other lad is slow and you do more than him let it be known.

Best job I ever had everything was time based, all the times were set by workshop at head office they were slow as fcuk and wanted plenty of time to complete things, worked great for me, could nock loads off the jobs, problem came with time slips, which still had to be filled in, I would often on paper finish at 6am and start again at 7 one hr later, used to drive the wage girl round the bend, unfortunately they folded and I still cry to this day lol

There's also the issue of dropping this other lad right in it if you mention his slowness in any way. When it comes to this sort of discussion, I would personally refer only to myself and what I do.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but for those whom are interested, I got a 14% payrise.

Originally got told no by the manager before I went away on holiday, got back off holiday to a letter from HR telling me my new wage etc.

Pretty tasty, thank you everyone for your help and giving me the balls to ask :lol: :cheers: