Bike security

Boring question I know. Looking at options for my new first bike. Will be stored in an alarmed integral garage but more concerned when I’m out on it and need to park up. Mainly be using it for fun at weekends and rare occasional commute. Thinking of an Almax heavy chain and Abus disclock stored in a 10l Kreiga bag on pillion seat.

perhaps carrying a heavy chain around in such a way will be too much of a pain and not secure enough carried in a tail pack.

Disclock may suffice if I’m out riding on nice quiet roads and just fancy a quick bacon sarnie in a cafe.

After spending £5.5k, £250 odd quid on security seems to make sense. As a newb all opinions appreciated and any cost savings.

I bought a chain/ground anchor and disc lock for my bike when it is in my garage.

I also had all all intentions of taking them both out with me to lock my bike out of the garage.

Now a days (3 months of riding) i am fed up lugging the chain round so i just take the disc lock as it fits under the seat.

I don’t really leave it anywhere risky though.

Be careful of your insurance whatever route you take. I declared on my insurance for 3 years that I used a ground anchor in the garage, which was fine and have me a small discount on my premium. However when I renewed last and was talking to the agent they revealed that because I've declared that I use a chain to lock my bike up at home they would expect me to carry it round with me aswell, so if my bike was stolen while out and about they might not pay out. My answer was to remove the ground anchor from the insurance, I'm not carrying a several kilo xhain with me everywhere I go

Disk lock is probably the best option......but see if you can get one that you can fit to the rear disk, so it's harder for the scrotes to get at with a portable angle grinder......and don't forget the reminder cable....... :wink:

when I take my Tiger to work I park it against the bicycle stands so i can attach a U lock through the frame to the stand as well as a disk lock on the rear wheel, not to mention alarm and steering lock. The car park wardens also keep a good look out as there are so many motor bikes and push bikes. When not at work I park it with all the above but tend not to leave it too long.

In town I use one the many bike specific parking places, with a rail to chain the bike to. Glasgow and my local town are well provided with them. Maybe I am lucky.

Otherwise, touring, I tend to stop in decent places where I can keep an eye on my bike. An angry biker makes for excellent security.

The one place I hate stopping, but needs must, are motorway services. It is more security for what I am carrying as it is so easy for someone to grab something off the bike and then they are away.

• 3 weeks later...

What about this....Fit it forget about it

http://roadlok.com/

Use a hex/allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. It would take seconds to do.

?format=1500w

At least you would feel good that whoever nicked your bike with on would kill themselves as they would have no front brake.

I’m sure you could find a security bolt to use, giving better piece of mind.

I like that bit of kit actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about this....Fit it forget about it

http://roadlok.com/

Use a hex/allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. It would take seconds to do.

?format=1500w

From their website

CAN'T THE BOLTS JUST BE REMOVED WHEN THE ROADLOK IS ENGAGED, RENDERING THE BIKE ABLE TO BE ROLLED?

If the bolts are removed and the ROADLOK is detached from the bike while the pin is inserted, the system remains attached to the rotor, thereby preventing rotation. The motorcycle still remains unmovable after the system strikes the brake, caliper or mud guard. It will essentially act like a typical disc lock at this point.

I bought a 14mm Xena alarmed disc lock. An ex bike thief once said (on a forum somewhere) alarmed disc locks were the best deterrent.

It still goes through the disk, so even unbolting the device wouldnt make it rideable.

Personally I'd fill the hex bolts with some sort of filler that could be chipped out with enough time.

Something like that really should be fitted by manufacturers as standard. Relatively cheap and easy for them, whilst far more convenient for riders than carrying around a separate disc lock which mean many never even bother.

No need for reminder cable, they could just use a switch as they do with the stand and clutch so the ignition will not start if the pin is in place.

It still goes through the disk, so even unbolting the device wouldnt make it rideable.

Personally I'd fill the hex bolts with some sort of filler that could be chipped out with enough time.

superglue a ball bearing in to them :wink:

bit shit for servicing the brakes though :lol: :lol:

I do not see how, it is just a pin that finds a hole in the disc to click into. Unbolt the main part from the caliper and what is stopping that pin from sliding out?

KTM-XR-copy.jpg

If you take the bolts off, the body will just swivel round the pin which can be slid out

6c4fe355b884275772917928d9c1674d.jpg

I do not see how, it is just a pin that finds a hole in the disc to click into. Unbolt the main part from the caliper and what is stopping that pin from sliding out?

It is just a normal disc lock, only that is bolted onto the calliper and the pin is removable rather than retractable. The latter presumably to avoid any risk of it slipping whilst riding.

So the main part still goes around the disc to catch the pin on the other side, see the image from the front page of their site:

XRA308_Body_Alpha.png?format=1000w

Its a disc lock thats attached to the bike, Id like to see how much damage a thief would do to get this off, just undoing bolts is to simple....

End of they day, its like all security...fitted as a deterrent.