What classic moped?

Hey y'all

I'm thinking of getting a little project bike to restore and/or customise, ideally 50cc so my 16 year old son can get involved and enjoy riding it too.

I don't know much about these things, but I'm not looking for a valuable classic that I can profit from, just after a basic bike which is easy to get parts for and plentiful enough that I can find a cheap one.

Looking for makes/models, and tips on where to buy from.

Ta

Can I highly recommend this book . I hope you're not in for a shock when it comes to prices as these things have become very desirable to restorers and collectors these days from what I can gather.

wp_ss_20180305_0015.thumb.png.d2add413a3118edb87e5811e99384f6e.png

you cant get more in the way of classic 50cc scooter 'kudos' than something like the 50 Super Cub. been around since the mid 60s.

supercub.thumb.jpg.4bddbb653d69b5a116773a8bb1e37258.jpg

Not the sexiest bike in the world.. but ideal i would have thought given the demands you're placing. cheap and cheerful and with plenty of parts.. these things sold in the 100s of 1000s and turn up all the time at reasonable prices and in reasonable condition.

um I wouldn't invest any time in a 50 tbh, personally I don't understand the appeal of mopeds as a project but eh whatever. id buy him a cheapish jap 50cc as a run about and let him mod it himself as a light project to get him used to working on bikes, then either build a 125 or one with 47bhp depending on the timeframe. having made the mistake of buyin a 50cc that needed work myself , I wouldn't recommend it

I'd go for an kawasaki Ar50/80, there's a few projects on eBay and seems like plenty of parts about. Would be worth a few quid if it was restored nice and your 16 yr old didn't crash it! :D

you cant get more in the way of classic 50cc scooter 'kudos' than something like the 50 Super Cub. been around since the mid 60s.

supercub.jpg

Not the sexiest bike in the world.. but ideal i would have thought given the demands you're placing. cheap and cheerful and with plenty of parts.. these things sold in the 100s of 1000s and turn up all the time at reasonable prices and in reasonable condition.

Over sixty million of them Cubs sold over the years thats some going! I have owned four C50s and one C90. The C50 motor is a little gem to work on no special tools required you will need a small three jaw puller to remove the magneto but its not a difficult job.

if your son wants to ride it check its legal for a learner of today 28 miles a hour some of them early mopeds did 50

Hy Honda 50s would cruise all day flat out at 46mph. Thats twistgrip fully turned to the stops marvelous little motor.

Buy something your son wants,not what you think he would want.

Friend of mine,heavily into vespas bought one for his 16 yo lad,not interested one bit.

When I bought my eldest daughter her first car,old type of Corsa,there was no "oh wow thanks Dad",she said "it's a bit rusty isn't it".She did get to love the car though.

Teenagers; tricky things. :lol: