Any suggestions to waterproof yourself without the use of Rain gear?

This may sound strange but here me out first... :oops:

I have to make about an hour journey to work at the moment and I’m trying to travel as light as possible. I already own over-the-top rain gear but when I have to wear it, it really restricts my movement. I can’t take other layers off either due to it being too cold without them.

Anyone got some advice? Other than wearing a bin-liner underneath!?

Edited by Troy

I've got emergency rain gear which stays on bike which is a simple roll up coat and over trousers (like you'll find in camping shops) takes up practically no space and throw over whatever gear I'm wearing if I get caught out, never found it to restrict any movement more than whatever gear I've got on.

Know not strictly on line with your question but only thing I can think of that don't involve actual rain gear would be a water proofing spray which I've found useless for anything more than a very light shower.

I can see some issues with candle wax. Clothes will feel stiff in the cold and will lose breathability. Will work in certain fabrics cotton canvas for example but not sure it will work well on synthetics or anything with a fairly open weave. It's a cheap version of barbour jackets or fjallraven clothing using Greenland wax. Might be worth a go though

What is your current gear?

I use Renapur on my leather bits and Fabsil on the textile bits (jeans are a mix) and I stay nice and dry, even after a good hour in hacking rain.

This may sound strange but here me out first... :oops:

I have to make about an hour journey to work at the moment and I’m trying to travel as light as possible. I already own over-the-top rain gear but when I have to wear it, it really restricts my movement. I can’t take other layers off either due to it being too cold without them.

Anyone got some advice? Other than wearing a bin-liner underneath!?

Rukka.

Forget candle wax. Fabsil gold not normal fabsil is what you want, Its marine grade so plenty waterproof and doesn't make your gear stiff. I have tried all the others and this is easily the best. A 1ltr can around £15 easily does a jacket and trousers. Just make sure you spray it outside and leave to air outside in the dry as the solvent does smell for a day.