Leak down tests

Just completed leak down tests on my spare GSX1100 EFE engine. All went well on cylinders 2,3&4.Unfortunately cylinder 1 was indicating 25%leakdown. OK for a road car, but not for a race bike. I'll check the inlet valve clearances, just in case, but it looks like the head will need to come off.

DSC_0289.thumb.JPG.2324723f08fff6c9f0f87e1925a1d092.JPG

DSC_0290.thumb.JPG.d2cc7b520989c7ae0410f29a72c284d5.JPG

DSC_0293.thumb.JPG.5c288c305065c6fd2cfb55592c04723b.JPG

Edited by megawatt

Compression test doesn't tell you where gas is leaking from combustion chamber. Leakdown tester puts compressed air into the chamber. You can hear where the leaks are from, either exhaust pipe, carbs/injectors or engine breather for leaking piston rings. It also gives you a percentage leakdown. Only £20 on eBay. But you will need a compressed air supply.

Next step is check valve clearances, then probably remove cylinder head and lap valves in.

Just checked valve clearances. Nothing excessive indicating possible bent valves. Most of em too tight indicating possible burnt exhaust valves. Think the head will be coming off tomorrow.

DSC_0295.thumb.JPG.b51729e702914ef80141248582709180.JPG

DSC_0296.thumb.JPG.f33dc95ae65501055e46972cf9159ce4.JPG

Yep. Before connecting to engine, increase pressure until gauge reads zero in SET area, then connect to engine. It's pretty obvious when there's a lot of leakage.

What inlet pressure does your set recommend?

On our Snap On set we use airline pressure in the shop,about 6bar.

Yes very good at diagnosing where any issues lie.

I'll have a look tomorrow mate, destructions are in the garage

Got the head off today. No signs of bent valves, but pouring petrol down the inlet ports shows leakage past the valves on No. 1 combustion chamber and very good sealing on the others. I'll remove the valves tomorrow for some straightness checks and lapping.

DSC_0300.thumb.JPG.748e53ea0ffa8cd9609ca86fb029f5ab.JPG

DSC_0301.thumb.JPG.26c4414730beb4ef6326ae59972b7d1d.JPG

I'll have a look tomorrow mate, destructions are in the garage

Got the head off today. No signs of bent valves, but pouring petrol down the inlet ports shows leakage past the valves on No. 1 combustion chamber and very good sealing on the others. I'll remove the valves tomorrow for some straightness checks and lapping.

Hopefully a Quick Fix then :D