Bike security

Stick one of these to your fairing.... No battery drain on the bike and makes a bit of a noise when they move the bike.

Wireless Remote control Shock Vibration Sensor Alarm, for the price its a good start...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-control-Shock-Vibration-Sensor-Alarm-For-Door-Window-Motorcycle/221996304759?epid=1290648238&hash=item33b002c977:g:wxEAAOSw-zxWmatt

I've got an Oxford Boss Alarmed lock, I use it with an Oxford chain and it works a treat, the noise is fairly loud but don't expect people to be hearing it miles and miles all round, the warning noise is louder than the alarm which seems to be a problem with all Oxford products, not sure why they design them this way.

Got one for the scooter, it's good. You adjust the sensitivity by where you put it on the disc. 12'oclock super sensitive or 6'oclock not very sensitive. Battery lasts a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Stick one of these to your fairing.... No battery drain on the bike and makes a bit of a noise when they move the bike.

Wireless Remote control Shock Vibration Sensor Alarm, for the price its a good start...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-control-Shock-Vibration-Sensor-Alarm-For-Door-Window-Motorcycle/221996304759?epid=1290648238&hash=item33b002c977:g:wxEAAOSw-zxWmatt

Do you really use one of those? I do, now. For £5 and a 9V battery it seemed cheap enough to try.

It is not as sensitive as my Xena alarm, when I put the cover on the bike yesterday I forget I had it armed and it did not go off, had to shake the bike a little to trigger it. Saying that, when I set the Xena off in that kind of situation it is more to do with the vibrations on the reminder cable as the bike is pretty sturdy on the centre stand. And I doubt many thieves will be that gentle.

Not as loud either, though it is obviously coming from inside the bike. Still enough to be annoying though, which is the main point. The remote works great, although I doubt they use different codes on them. So presumably there is a risk that if anyone parked nearby has one for the same purpose they could accidentally deactivate it.

Would take a lot for me to rely on it, with a basic disc lock, as an alternative to the Xena. But it is very cheap and no effort to use in return for a bit of extra security. I can see it being especially in places like petrol stations, where I do not lock up the bike yet leave it momentarily unattended.

• 4 weeks later...

what about the kill switch! just turn that on and see if they try to start it.

years ago I traced the kill switch wire's inside the bike and cut it in two and soldered each end to a rocker switch.

unless they know where the rocker switch is they'll never start the bike up.

had one of my bikes pinched back in the early 90's only to be left in some one drive a few houses down the road from me.

they butchered the wires to get it started but could not.