Bikesafe

Find all you need to know about learning to ride a motorbike including CBT, theory/hazard perception, tests and advanced training.
Cant find what you need? Ask away in this section!
SidG
Been liked: 38 times

Bikesafe

Post by SidG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am

Hi all,

Did my DAS a few weeks ago have just started riding an mt07. Anyone one here done Bikesafe? Was thinking of booking one local to me in May. I do feel ok when out but would like to improve my confidence and skills (especially cornering). Guess only comes with clocking up more miles.

Cheers.

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

megawatt
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 586 times

Re: Bikesafe

Post by megawatt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:41 am

Excellent course, did mine at Bromley. Some town and countryside riding with two riders and two coppers. Great classroom training and good lunch included. Worth every penny.
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has liked: 1405 times
Been liked: 581 times

Post by bonio » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:10 pm

:stupid: Go do it! You won't regret it.
Two Soups

goat
Bike(s): None
Has liked: 1408 times
Been liked: 748 times

Post by goat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I did a similar thing with Essex fire service. Absolutely worth it, good fun and learned loads. No downsides.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker.

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by raesewell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Bikesafe is a good first step to becoming an advanced ride either with IAM or ROSPA, I chose the IAM route.

Bianco2564
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Bianco2564 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pm

I have been twice at Rockingham,an hour on the road with the Rozzers and 15 mins on track for £35.Bargain.

SidG
Been liked: 38 times

Post by SidG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Cheers guys.

Looking at Birmingham, morning in a classroom then 3 hour observed ride out after lunch. Cost £50. Looks like I'll go for it. Hopefully have more experience by the time it comes round (not till May/June) and good weather!

Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Has liked: 1350 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Post by Tango » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Do it, mate......we'll worth the £50...... 8-)

Also worth looking at is BikerDown, run by the Fire and Rescue service......This is more about what to do if you see a biker down......and it's free..... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

xpc316e
Been liked: 2 times

Post by xpc316e » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Bikesafe can be excellent, but do not be persuaded to ride any quicker than your experience allows. We've had a couple of riders on our local one who have crashed while trying to keep up with faster riders. Use it as an opportunity to improve your hazard perception skills and anticipation, rather than improve cornering confidence. There is only so much one can learn in such a short time frame; if you are interested in improving your riding, then IAM, or RosPA, are your best bet. It is highly likely that there will be Police riders involved in local groups and you can spend loads of time picking their brains.

Diko
Bike(s): Honda CB165, Burgman400, T100 Bonnie, Transalp 700
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Diko » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:22 pm

The Bikesafe course I did with Cambridgshire police was three two hours each week classroom instruction then a one hour ride out, in the pouring rain for me, with your very own motorcycle copper. You will learn loads of usefull information like what position you should take up on the road, how to corner safely at speed and filtering thro traffick, at lights, to get you to the front of the que. Well worth the £50 but priceless keep you safe information. Do it!
If you buy cheap you buy twice.

Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Has liked: 1350 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Post by Tango » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Diko wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:22 pm
The Bikesafe course I did with Cambridgshire police was three two hours each week classroom instruction then a one hour ride out, in the pouring rain for me, with your very own motorcycle copper. You will learn loads of usefull information like what position you should take up on the road, how to corner safely at speed and filtering thro traffick, at lights, to get you to the front of the que. Well worth the £50 but priceless keep you safe information. Do it!
I did mine with Cambridgeshire police too........but they did the classroom bit in one hit on a Saturday in the Huntingdon headquarters. ......then an observed ride a few weeks later...... 8-) I have a theory.......when they go round the back of the bike to take down the Reg number I'm sure they also check out the chicken strips, and taylor the ride pace accordingly. ......my guy didn't hang around, but someone else who went out at the same time with another police rider had a slightly more sedate pace...... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

warpig
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by warpig » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm

I wasn't that impressed with the bike safe course, it seems fixated on moving to the outer reaches of the corner for better visibility whether you need it or not and crossing the white line on the other side of the road, again for better visibility whether you need it or not. They're also obsessed with cutting the corner, because why turn if you don't have to...???? It's all good in principle, but they want you within the last 12-18 inches of road and yes that's where the road's collapsed, where you'll find raised ironworks and gravel. I couldn't see the benefit at the expense of losing my margin of error, especially at normal road speeds. At higher speeds and whilst "making progress," it's more important. They also seem to want you really close to the centre line where there's traffic, again for better visibility... seemed a bit of a nonsense to me. I got a B grade with some A's. Your lowest grade is your overall mark. The only things they picked me up on is not using enough of the road for better visibility and disjointed riding, i.e. I treated the road in sections, not one fluid bit of tarmac, but I didn't know the roads and there were steep sweeping adverse bends... Seemed a bit unfair to me.

At the price any extra experience is worth it, but assess what they say and only use it if you agree. Make up your own mind...

kingmunky
Bike(s): 2011 Suzuki DL650 (V-Strom)
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by kingmunky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

Police Scotland stopped providing Bikesafe courses which was a bit crap, but I've been to the BikerDown course before and would thoroughly recommend it to all riders. Good common sense advice and really clear instruction and acting out how to tend to someone in the aftermath of a crash. Definitely worth a few hours of your time.

Return to “CBT, Test and Advanced Training Information”