Got rear ended while stationary

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 940 times

Re: Got rear ended while stationary

Post by Mr Fro » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 pm

fastbob wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm
Now " A little " has become " A foot or so " and being shunted has become an impact . I wasn't there but my impression is still that this is a trivial incident that is best forgotten about .
The OP stated he was pushed a little over a foot in his first post.

That's quite a bit of energy for a bike to absorb - I certainly would be giving it a thorough going over to check for issues with the swing arm and frame.

It could have done all kinds of mischief but then again it could have done nothing. Why should the OP take it on the chin when it wasn't their fault?

TimR
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 562 times

Post by TimR » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 pm

fastbob wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm
Speedy23 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Diko wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:30 pm
Sorry to hear about the shunt but he may have knocked your rear wheel out of alignment may be a good idea to check your wheel alignment and chain adjustment.
Any impact sufficient to move the bike forward a foot or so may well have caused damage to swing arm and wheel bearings, if not the frame/subframe assembly. Get it checked out and get yer claim in. :thumb:
Now " A little " has become " A foot or so " and being shunted has become an impact . I wasn't there but my impression is still that this is a trivial incident that is best forgotten about . I've been shunted I the past . Two days after I got my GSXR I was knocked forward by a car driver at a zebra crossing . I managed to save the bodywork with my leg that was bruised and my numberplate was dislodged . Did I make an insurance claim ? No , I just told the driver to f**k off and fixed the numberplate . It honestly never occurred to me .
Its always been a foot ....
Read first post
" I probably got pushed forward about 1ft ish not much more"
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 462 times

Post by onesea » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 am

My reason for reporting to police is nothing to do with insurance, it's to do with a driver deliberately shunting you .

After the op had tried to show him why he was delayed. That makes the act deliberate an attack rather than an accident. There is to much angry aggressive driving on the roads....
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

MikeHorton
Bike(s): Yamaha Tracer 900GT,
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by MikeHorton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:35 am

The bike needs to be checked first and in any case there is no point in reporting to the police. They will only deal if there is an injury or an offence apparent. If the guy is videoed admitting he has done it it still needs to be proven he did so as a deliberate act. Without witnesses or an admission that's not going to be the case, without evidence people don't admit to that sort of stuff. Just goes down to a slip off the pedal or momentary lapse of concentration.

There are aggressive drivers and people it's an unfortunate part of life I'm afraid. They can only be punished if there is evidence though sadly.

Main thing is nobody is hurt, just need to check the bike out to make sure this is OK, the longer it's left the harder it will be to prove the damage was caused by that collision.

Stocky
Bike(s): BMW R1200RT - Kawasaki Versys 650
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Stocky » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am

fastbob wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 pm
Check that both the front and rear brake switches are activating the brake light first
That's irrelevant, the OP states that he was stationary, you don't need to be displaying a brake when sat still
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable

2017 Challenge 100 - 2nd
2018 Challenge 100 - 2nd

2019 Challenge 100

Pubs 10/10
Dealers 9/10
West Midlands 7/12
East Midlands 4/12
Circuits 4/20
North Wales 12/12

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 3029 times
Been liked: 3672 times

Post by fastbob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Stocky wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am
fastbob wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 pm
Check that both the front and rear brake switches are activating the brake light first
That's irrelevant, the OP states that he was stationary, you don't need to be displaying a brake when sat still
If I thought it was irrelevant I wouldn't have written it. If you are moving forward in stages while waiting to enter a roundabout and either brake switch is not working then there is a possibility that this might have contributed to the situation. I was only passing on the benefit of my personal experience. I was approaching the subject from a safety point of view rather than from an entitlement to compensation perspective.

Joe85
Bike(s): BMW S1000R Sport
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Joe85 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:50 am

Six30 wrote:
MikeHorton wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm
I would only claim if there is any damage or injury. What you would make in any whiplash claim you would lose over the next five years in increased premiums even if you have a protected bonus. Someone tried a phoney whiplash claim against my wife unfortunately he was on facebook posting gym workout pics whilst stating he was too ill to work etc 🤥
It was passed over to action fraud.

Best to get your bike checked over though to make sure there is no damage in any way. With your camera evidence I'm sure he would pay up without needing to get insurers involved. I'm still paying the price for a non fault claim from 2013

my non fault claim had no affect on my insurance .
Same here.

Speedy23

Post by Speedy23 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 pm

NewBob wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm
I probably got pushed forward about 1ft ish not much more.
Sorry, but it was "a foot or so" by the OP's own statement and anything that will move a bike a foot when your foot is on the brake can definitely be classed as an "impact". Just sayin', ya know? :roll:

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Speedy23 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 pm
NewBob wrote:
Sorry, but it was "a foot or so" by the OP's own statement and anything that will move a bike a foot when your foot is on the brake can definitely be classed as an "impact". Just sayin', ya know? :roll:
Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.

Speedy23

Post by Speedy23 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am

fastbob wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm
Speedy23 wrote:
NewBob wrote:
Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.
Errr.....sorry, but yes, I knew who the OP was - the original post DOES mention the "1ft ish not much more" so how am I contradicting the original post? Please?

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 am

Speedy23 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am
fastbob wrote:
Speedy23 wrote:

Errr.....sorry, but yes, I knew who the OP was - the original post DOES mention the "1ft ish not much more" so how am I contradicting the original post? Please?
Because you have taken " 1 ft ish not much more " in quotation marks and changed it to " a foot or so " and described this as the OPs own statement.

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Has liked: 1981 times
Been liked: 1429 times

Post by Hoggs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am

alright this isn't helpful, let's just move it on people.
NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE 2020 CHALLENGE?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71618

shit at modding, awesome at making challenge tags Not a fan of early Xmas decorating

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Hoggs wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am
alright this isn't helpful, let's just move it on people.
Thank you, I could not agree more.😊

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1472 times
Been liked: 618 times

Post by bonio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 pm

I've been rear-ended twice in the last six years.

The first time, I was stopped a traffic light, and the person just drove gently into me. I managed to stay on the bike, and there was there was no visible damage, but I got the guy's name and address in case anything came to light later on. The bike was fine, though.

The second time was last summer; I was coming off a motorway, waiting to enter the roundabout, and a girl drove into the back of me. The first I knew was when everything looked a bit wrong, which was because the bike and I were on the on the floor. I was fine, and I couldn't find any damage to the bike at the time other than a few scratches on the crash bars, but again took the girl's details, and when it was clear that the bike was riding fine, I threw

Some months later, I got around to washing the bike, and I found one that the crash bar that had taken the fall had cracked right through where it was mounted on the bike, and it was £150 to get a new one. It's true I guess that the girl should rightly have coughed up the £150 and not me, but when I look the cost of the repair against the cost of owning the motorbike for a year, I reckon it's not worth getting myself worked up about it. Better by far to get back on the bike and enjoy riding it. :thumb:
Two Soups

Speedy23

Post by Speedy23 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:20 am

fastbob wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 am
Speedy23 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am
fastbob wrote:

Because you have taken " 1 ft ish not much more " in quotation marks and changed it to " a foot or so " and described this as the OPs own statement.
Perhaps you'd better think about the difference between "paraphrasing" and "contradiction", then. Just sayin'. :roll:

Return to “Pitstop”