Got rear ended while stationary

NewBob

So was stationary at an island waiting when the car behind me suddenly shunted forward. He hadnt touched me and i responded with a hand gesture to tell him to wait as a car was on the inside/middle of the island but indicating left (and did cut across all 3 lanes to make his exit). The car behind then shunted me, my foot was on the rear break but the bike still moved forward a little as his car pushed my bike! He did pull over after i did making out it was accidental. Whats the likelihood of damage? I probably got pushed forward about 1ft ish not much more. I did secretly film him admitting he'd hit my bike but not sure whether to make a claim or not? Thanks in advance

I would only claim if there is any damage or injury. What you would make in any whiplash claim you would lose over the next five years in increased premiums even if you have a protected bonus. Someone tried a phoney whiplash claim against my wife unfortunately he was on facebook posting gym workout pics whilst stating he was too ill to work etc 🤥

It was passed over to action fraud.

Best to get your bike checked over though to make sure there is no damage in any way. With your camera evidence I'm sure he would pay up without needing to get insurers involved. I'm still paying the price for a non fault claim from 2013

Check that both the front and rear brake switches are activating the brake light first . I got shunted at a roundabout once and only realised later that I had no brake light.

I would only claim if there is any damage or injury. What you would make in any whiplash claim you would lose over the next five years in increased premiums even if you have a protected bonus. Someone tried a phoney whiplash claim against my wife unfortunately he was on facebook posting gym workout pics whilst stating he was too ill to work etc 🤥

Best to get your bike checked over though to make sure there is no damage in any way. With your camera evidence I'm sure he would pay up without needing to get insurers involved. I'm still paying the price for a non fault claim from 2013

my non fault claim had no affect on my insurance .

If wheel was contacted . Check chain tension and wheel alignment .if they have moved get the bike checked professionally either through insurance or trusted garage .

As you had rear brake applied the wheel would have resisted the urge to turn when contacted and all pressure is then placed on Tyre, wheel, wheel bearings, axle rod,swingarm , swingarm bearings,swingarm pivot ,frame

( in extreme cases) .

I would say make your own choice re insurance, but report to Police. They might do nothing this time, although ranking some one repeatedly at traffic lights you would hire they would.

Although if the guy did it regularly it would be recorded..

Why don't you just forget about it ? Life is full of random events of much greater significance than a little tap on the back wheel . The reason we all get shafted by insurance companies is that everyone thinks they are entitled to some money if someone so much as farts in their general direction .

Exactly and no point calling the police unless injury caused or a clear offence this would be put down to momentary lapse of concentration. Like you say people claim for everything hence insurance is the way it is!

Sorry to hear about the shunt but he may have knocked your rear wheel out of alignment may be a good idea to check your wheel alignment and chain adjustment.

Why should he suffer increased premiums? It's the other party's insurance that will be paying out.... :scratch:

Sorry to hear about the shunt but he may have knocked your rear wheel out of alignment may be a good idea to check your wheel alignment and chain adjustment.

Any impact sufficient to move the bike forward a foot or so may well have caused damage to swing arm and wheel bearings, if not the frame/subframe assembly. Get it checked out and get yer claim in. :thumb:

Why should he suffer increased premiums? It's the other party's insurance that will be paying out.... :scratch:

Because all insurers are evil money grabbing bast*rds who will fleece the hell out of you for any and all reasons

Any impact sufficient to move the bike forward a foot or so may well have caused damage to swing arm and wheel bearings, if not the frame/subframe assembly. Get it checked out and get yer claim in. :thumb:

Now " A little " has become " A foot or so " and being shunted has become an impact . I wasn't there but my impression is still that this is a trivial incident that is best forgotten about . I've been shunted I the past . Two days after I got my GSXR I was knocked forward by a car driver at a zebra crossing . I managed to save the bodywork with my leg that was bruised and my numberplate was dislodged . Did I make an insurance claim ? No , I just told the driver to f**k off and fixed the numberplate . It honestly never occurred to me .

Now " A little " has become " A foot or so " and being shunted has become an impact . I wasn't there but my impression is still that this is a trivial incident that is best forgotten about .

The OP stated he was pushed a little over a foot in his first post.

That's quite a bit of energy for a bike to absorb - I certainly would be giving it a thorough going over to check for issues with the swing arm and frame.

It could have done all kinds of mischief but then again it could have done nothing. Why should the OP take it on the chin when it wasn't their fault?

Now " A little " has become " A foot or so " and being shunted has become an impact . I wasn't there but my impression is still that this is a trivial incident that is best forgotten about . I've been shunted I the past . Two days after I got my GSXR I was knocked forward by a car driver at a zebra crossing . I managed to save the bodywork with my leg that was bruised and my numberplate was dislodged . Did I make an insurance claim ? No , I just told the driver to f**k off and fixed the numberplate . It honestly never occurred to me .

Its always been a foot ....

Read first post

" I probably got pushed forward about 1ft ish not much more"

My reason for reporting to police is nothing to do with insurance, it's to do with a driver deliberately shunting you .

After the op had tried to show him why he was delayed. That makes the act deliberate an attack rather than an accident. There is to much angry aggressive driving on the roads....

The bike needs to be checked first and in any case there is no point in reporting to the police. They will only deal if there is an injury or an offence apparent. If the guy is videoed admitting he has done it it still needs to be proven he did so as a deliberate act. Without witnesses or an admission that's not going to be the case, without evidence people don't admit to that sort of stuff. Just goes down to a slip off the pedal or momentary lapse of concentration.

There are aggressive drivers and people it's an unfortunate part of life I'm afraid. They can only be punished if there is evidence though sadly.

Main thing is nobody is hurt, just need to check the bike out to make sure this is OK, the longer it's left the harder it will be to prove the damage was caused by that collision.

Check that both the front and rear brake switches are activating the brake light first

That's irrelevant, the OP states that he was stationary, you don't need to be displaying a brake when sat still

Check that both the front and rear brake switches are activating the brake light first

That's irrelevant, the OP states that he was stationary, you don't need to be displaying a brake when sat still

If I thought it was irrelevant I wouldn't have written it. If you are moving forward in stages while waiting to enter a roundabout and either brake switch is not working then there is a possibility that this might have contributed to the situation. I was only passing on the benefit of my personal experience. I was approaching the subject from a safety point of view rather than from an entitlement to compensation perspective.

my non fault claim had no affect on my insurance .

Same here.

I probably got pushed forward about 1ft ish not much more.

Sorry, but it was "a foot or so" by the OP's own statement and anything that will move a bike a foot when your foot is on the brake can definitely be classed as an "impact". Just sayin', ya know? :roll:

Sorry, but it was "a foot or so" by the OP's own statement and anything that will move a bike a foot when your foot is on the brake can definitely be classed as an "impact". Just sayin', ya know? :roll:

Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.

Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.

Errr.....sorry, but yes, I knew who the OP was - the original post DOES mention the "1ft ish not much more" so how am I contradicting the original post? Please?