Pot holes...

Six30

Don't know about rest of country but the pot holes are terrible round here after the snow ..... it's bad enough in a car trying to dodge em , some of em would have you off on a bike .

They'll propably get patched ..I mean bodged up , then re-appear in a few months :?

Yup, roads up here are in an awful state. Most of bad ones are where previous holes have been patched. There are also a number of drains that appear to have sunk and the road is now disintegrating around them!

I just report them on fixmystreet.com and they seem to get fixed quicker than going direct to the council...

makes you wonder what the roads would be like if the old 'road fund' tax was hypothecated.. or a proportion of the tax we pay for petrol was the same. or.. if the £56,000,000,000 thats about to be spent on a railway line we don't really need... was spent on local roads instead.

We should have the best roads in western europe.. putting even Germany to shame. given all the money raised from 'traffic'

We are going to getting about 25 million quid spent on the roads here in hull soon!

Sadly not where its needed!

They are redesigning some junctions to help traffic flow one of which has just been dug up and resurfaced :roll:

I work in Northampton and the roads around there are in a shocking state.

I have reported numerous craters on my route into work and between Rugby and Daventry,but don't hold out much hope,Northants council has run out of money.

On the A5 near Dav,there is a crater in the centre of the road about 6 ft long and looks about 4 inches wide,not enough to trouble a car but would surely have a motorcycle over.

We are going to getting about 25 million quid spent on the roads here in hull soon!

Sadly not where its needed!

They are redesigning some junctions to help traffic flow one of which has just been dug up and resurfaced :roll:

Wouldn't that money be better spent getting running water and electricity sorted before they lay any tarmac for the horse and carts ?

There is a lot of repair work going on near me at the moment. The problem is that they scrape off about 1" and re-tar. That is not enough and work from last year is already falling apart.

One reason why there is so little tar is because underneath many roads are the original cobbles. Lots of pot holes are revealing that the road is pretty much untouched since it was made early last century, or the one before that!

In urban areas particularly its not the actual roads that are the problem, its the numerous filled in trenches and holes left by cable and utilities companies that actually turn into pot holes . Surely these companies could easily be tracked down and made to come back and do the job properly. If they dig up the road to install broadband cable etc they should be compelled by law to replace the road surface to the same standard of construction that it was originally built to . Simply bunging the dirt back in and sticking an inferior layer of tarmac on top just won't survive the volume of traffic it has to carry. Have a look at the roads where you live and perhaps you will notice the same thing.

There is a lot of repair work going on near me at the moment. The problem is that they scrape off about 1" and re-tar. That is not enough and work from last year is already falling apart.

One reason why there is so little tar is because underneath many roads are the original cobbles. Lots of pot holes are revealing that the road is pretty much untouched since it was made early last century, or the one before that!

I've seen a lot of this Surface Dressing technique used recently including the busy road that I live on . It looks like a cheap quick fix to me . I have also seen this in remote areas of Scotland where it has worn away to reveal the original road surface complete with road markings underneath . Oddly enough the original surface appears to be in better condition than the thin layer on top .

In urban areas particularly its not the actual roads that are the problem, its the numerous filled in trenches and holes left by cable and utilities companies that actually turn into pot holes . Surely these companies could easily be tracked down and made to come back and do the job properly. If they dig up the road to install broadband cable etc they should be compelled by law to replace the road surface to the same standard of construction that it was originally built to . Simply bunging the dirt back in and sticking an inferior layer of tarmac on top just won't survive the volume of traffic it has to carry. Have a look at the roads where you live and perhaps you will notice the same thing.

I’m sure I’ve (or heard) recently that this going to change. The authorities will be fining the perpetrators and making them redo it.

I know [mention]Gerontious[/mention] has mentioned this in the past as to why a lot of European roads, especially Germany, have very good road surfaces, (on the whole).

The sooner this comes to pass the better.

Now my 2p worth

Surely with today’s tech we have, someone can come up with a road surface mixture of a tarmac, rubber, plastic, (corned beef) that will not allow water to ingress? This would cut down on potholes in a big way.

Of course it would probably cost more in the short term for counsils (it wouldn’t surprise me that if there was an investigation then we would find out that they were all choosing an inferior tarmac as it’s cheaper, just like everything else we are hearing about lately), but the surface would/could/will last 10,20,50 times longer than the shit we are using now.

As for this surface dressing. They may as well be throwing our taxes down the road for all the good it does.

It’s downright dangerous for us bikers. Especially as they see fit to stick it down right in the middle of season it seems.