Got rear ended while stationary

NewBob

Sorry, but it was "a foot or so" by the OP's own statement and anything that will move a bike a foot when your foot is on the brake can definitely be classed as an "impact". Just sayin', ya know? :roll:

Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.

Errr.....sorry, but yes, I knew who the OP was - the original post DOES mention the "1ft ish not much more" so how am I contradicting the original post? Please?

Because you have taken " 1 ft ish not much more " in quotation marks and changed it to " a foot or so " and described this as the OPs own statement.

I've been rear-ended twice in the last six years.

The first time, I was stopped a traffic light, and the person just drove gently into me. I managed to stay on the bike, and there was there was no visible damage, but I got the guy's name and address in case anything came to light later on. The bike was fine, though.

The second time was last summer; I was coming off a motorway, waiting to enter the roundabout, and a girl drove into the back of me. The first I knew was when everything looked a bit wrong, which was because the bike and I were on the on the floor. I was fine, and I couldn't find any damage to the bike at the time other than a few scratches on the crash bars, but again took the girl's details, and when it was clear that the bike was riding fine, I threw

Some months later, I got around to washing the bike, and I found one that the crash bar that had taken the fall had cracked right through where it was mounted on the bike, and it was £150 to get a new one. It's true I guess that the girl should rightly have coughed up the £150 and not me, but when I look the cost of the repair against the cost of owning the motorbike for a year, I reckon it's not worth getting myself worked up about it. Better by far to get back on the bike and enjoy riding it. :thumb:

Newbob IS the original poster . You're quoting the original post then contradicting it . This is becoming a truly tiresome thread . He just had a knock from behind and was a bit worried about it . Most of the energy would be absorbed by the tyre , this has happened to me a few times over the years , just give the wheel bearings a shake , ride on and forget about it . I presume the bike was ridden home anyway.

Errr.....sorry, but yes, I knew who the OP was - the original post DOES mention the "1ft ish not much more" so how am I contradicting the original post? Please?

Because you have taken " 1 ft ish not much more " in quotation marks and changed it to " a foot or so " and described this as the OPs own statement.

Perhaps you'd better think about the difference between "paraphrasing" and "contradiction", then. Just sayin'. :roll:

I've been rear-ended twice in the last six years.

The first time, I was stopped a traffic light, and the person just drove gently into me. I managed to stay on the bike, and there was there was no visible damage, but I got the guy's name and address in case anything came to light later on. The bike was fine, though.

The second time was last summer; I was coming off a motorway, waiting to enter the roundabout, and a girl drove into the back of me. The first I knew was when everything looked a bit wrong, which was because the bike and I were on the on the floor. I was fine, and I couldn't find any damage to the bike at the time other than a few scratches on the crash bars, but again took the girl's details, and when it was clear that the bike was riding fine, I threw

Some months later, I got around to washing the bike, and I found one that the crash bar that had taken the fall had cracked right through where it was mounted on the bike, and it was £150 to get a new one. It's true I guess that the girl should rightly have coughed up the £150 and not me, but when I look the cost of the repair against the cost of owning the motorbike for a year, I reckon it's not worth getting myself worked up about it. Better by far to get back on the bike and enjoy riding it. :thumb:

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.

Reckon you'd have to shunt a bike pretty hard to do any damage to the wheel or swingarm etc. The tyre is designed to take a lot of impact force and the swingarm is a pretty sturdy structure.

If you kept it upright the shunt wasn't hard enough to make you lose grip so not hard enough to damage the bike... happy to be proven wrong though.

Reckon you'd have to shunt a bike pretty hard to do any damage to the wheel or swingarm etc. The tyre is designed to take a lot of impact force and the swingarm is a pretty sturdy structure.

If you kept it upright the shunt wasn't hard enough to make you lose grip so not hard enough to damage the bike... happy to be proven wrong though.

I couldn't have put it better , its just a bump .

I checked the bike over and it seemed fine and still does.

Although I believe it was deliberate as I had been completely stationary as had he for a while I reported it to insurance but not police and have decided not to make a claim.

Infact after my self service the bike seems very slightly better than before.

I do wish this idiot could be taken off the road but sadly Police are too busy these days to give a toss about anyone who's not rich or a celebrity.

Thanks all for your feedback tho it is truly appreciated.

You reported to your own insurance??? Hope not!!

It will be recorded as an accident and you'll need to remember to disclose it for next 5 years.

Its ok, recently had 1 wrote off still going through claim so had 0 no claims anyway and even with that insurance came down for my 2nd yr on the road. Fingers crossed it doesnt affect it as they never had full details of this one anyway.

You reported to your own insurance??? Hope not!!

It will be recorded as an accident and you'll need to remember to disclose it for next 5 years.

Its ok, recently had 1 wrote off still going through claim so had 0 no claims anyway and even with that insurance came down for my 2nd yr on the road. Fingers crossed it doesnt affect it as they never had full details of this one anyway.

What did you hope to achieve by informing you own insurance company??

They will have recorded it as an accident, it will be used against you, and if you fail to disclose it when starting a new policy with any other insurance company, they may also decide to use it against you by accusing you of failing to disclose an accident.

Well and truly shafted yourself for zero gain... Oh well, we live and learn.