Questions about A2 and A

Me and a friend were told by an instructor that we were going to be doing our tests together, however, my friend is on his A license and I am on my A2, now, from what I've seen, there isn't a difference in A and A2 tests other than the restriction on the bike (I might be wrong), but I have been told that it is apparently illegal to put A2 and A license students together, can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? We've been told right from the start that we'd be doing it together and we'd get some discount if we did, but now we're being told that it's apparently illegal, I'm not sure what the f**k is going on anymore and to me it sounds like an excuse because they can't put us together because of messy dates. I'd just like to find out whether it is or isn't true.

Thanks!

It's not illegal, or if it is my instructor broke the law and he took two lads to do a MOD1 test together - one A and the other A2, so if there was an issue you'd think the test centre would have refused (DVLA are the worst for petty rules). Who said it was illegal? If the instructor is happy to do it that way they carry on.

Nothing Illegal about it at all and whoever told you that it is, is chatting some right waffle.

as long as you are on the bikes that are relevant to the licence you are doing there's nothing wrong or unusual about it.

While on my lessons I've been out with people doing A licence and even some doing A1 when Im doing A2.

Below is the law which allows you to ride a larger bike on the road when accompanied by an instructor, it makes no mention of bike classes. And the tests themselves are taken individually and nothing to do with an instructor. If they cannot book you to do you tests together that is down to the scheduling at the DVSA centre and not the law.

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999

As amended by The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

Part II Licenses

Provisional Licenses

16. Conditions attached to provisional licences

(7) The holder of a provisional licence authorising the driving of a motor bicycle other than a A1 motorcycle shall not drive such a vehicle otherwise than under the supervision of a certified direct access instructor (within the meaning of regulation 64(2)) who is —

(a) present with the person holding the licence on the road while riding a two-wheeled vehicle in category AM or A or a category P vehicle or, if the instructor is suffering from a relevant disability of such a nature that they are unable to ride a two-wheeled vehicle, a three-wheeled vehicle in category AM or A, and

(b) able to communicate with him by means of a radio which is not hand-held while in operation,

© supervising only that person or only that person and another person who holds such a provisional licence, and

(d) carrying a valid certificate issued in respect of him by the Secretary of State under regulation 65(4),

while he and the instructor are wearing apparel which is fluorescent or (during hours of darkness) is either fluorescent or luminous.

Part V Approved Training Courses for Riders of Motor Bicycles and Mopeds

Instructors

64. Approved training courses conducted on large motor bicycles

(1) An approved training course for a person holding a provisional licence authorising the driving of A2 motorcycles or A3 motorcycles and undertaken by him on an A2 motorcycle or an A3 motorcycle, as appropriate must be conducted by a certified direct access instructor.

(2) “Certified direct access instructor” means a person authorised (or deemed to have been authorised) in accordance with regulation 65.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I best update this, I spoke with the guys I'm doing the course with, they raised it with the DVLA, it went to their technical team (Who manage all the changes in DVLA regulation/rules etc etc.) and they have given it in writing that it is perfectly legal providing you are on the same or of a similar skill level to each other, apparently because I raised this with them it could change a lot for a lot of different driving schools who previously only offered separate courses for A2 and A applicants, glad I raised it, made life easier for multiple people and got a bit of discount out of doing it because it makes the test centers life a lot easier.

Thought I best update this, I spoke with the guys I'm doing the course with, they raised it with the DVLA, it went to their technical team (Who manage all the changes in DVLA regulation/rules etc etc.) and they have given it in writing that it is perfectly legal providing you are on the same or of a similar skill level to each other, apparently because I raised this with them it could change a lot for a lot of different driving schools who previously only offered separate courses for A2 and A applicants, glad I raised it, made life easier for multiple people and got a bit of discount out of doing it because it makes the test centers life a lot easier.

I have no idea how a school wouldn’t know that they could do both types at the same time. :scratch:

...well I suppose this is a good thing - but yeah worrying they didn't know it before!

Well done you for getting stuff changed though!

I have no idea how a school wouldn’t know that they could do both types at the same time. :scratch:

It's because they were always told that it couldn't be done, it was never clarified by the schools for some reason who just took other peoples word instead of questioning it. I only had to look once to see there was nothing in the regulations for schools saying that you couldn't pair A2 with A to realise something was off about it. No idea how it hadn't been brought up.