Diabetic Rider

Diko

I became a Type 1 insulin dependant diabetic in May 1987. I was put onto injections of insulin to control my glucose levels and I had to surrender my twenty year old driving licence (no driving anything whatsoever) untill I was medically reviewed and issued with a three year licence. I had to inform my insurance provider, who promptle raised my premiums, and had to agree to test my blood glucose levels before riding/driving and every two hours there after whilst driving. Fortunately I only had to wait a couple of weeks for my licence to be approved during this time my vision blurred as the glucose drained from my eyeballs. However to this day (31 years) I have been riding with the disease and getting along just fine so if you become a Type 1 Diabetic its not a bleak outlook. Heres my Honda 125 Twin I was commuting on at the time, with my pillion passenger (my son) in the saddle.2031426550_Honda125TwinWHO200V.thumb.jpeg.e344823df216e389fbdcba42cc1469b3.jpeg

Type 1 rider here too.

Diagnosed in Jan 2015 age 29.

Been riding since 2012.

Like you im on the 3 year licence, which is a bit of a pain and have to test before driving / riding etc.

All in all, apart from some annoying skin rashes, diabetes has not changed my life to dramatically (as yet!). Obviously the blood tests, carb counting and insulin injections are a pain in the backside. But i like to think that i could have something much worse medically.

I can still ride as i always have been which is the big relief!

Talking about eye sight, i have been a glasses/ contact wearer for many years anyway. Weirdly when i was first diagnosed and the hospital first put me on insulin, my vision was perfect for about 3 weeks. I had no need for my glasses etc! Then went back to my usual crap vision once the body had readjusted itself i guess.

Yes, strange about the eyes but every three years ( when my licence comes up for renewall) I have to present myself to Specsavers (arranged by DVLC) to have my periffial vision checked. Annoyingly Specsavers tech wont tell me if I have passed, but he did give me a smile and nodded his head. Next test is August this year so fingers crossed. Glad I didnt get anything worse than diabeties.

Im also type 1.

3 year licence, yearly eyetest and medical for my race licence.

No biggy, just stick some needles in my arse a few times a day.

Im fitter and stronger then i ever have been.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/vtrdonk/IMG_20171014_195558_443_zpsilfsnoyc.jpg