My 3 day DAS

Bad luck mate, it's amazing what test conditions can do to us. Best thing is not to dwell on it and next time you'll be fine.

Nice write up though, I wrote up mine when I did it, it's nice to read back even though I only passed 6 months ago.

Bad luck mate, it's amazing what test conditions can do to us. Best thing is not to dwell on it and next time you'll be fine.

Nice write up though, I wrote up mine when I did it, it's nice to read back even though I only passed 6 months ago.

Cheers, yeah hopefully may help someone else as well one day...

I've got posts from my first (and second) CBT just under 2 years ago on CBT thread somewhere, may have to re-read those lol, first time round almost ended up in a bush! At least I don't do that anymore lol

Bad luck on the fail. You'll nail it second time round. Mind does funny things in those situations. I failed my first time by cocking up the emergency stop, ironically the one thing I was most consistently good on in practice. It's a very unnatural environment,

Bad luck mate. Your write up brought the whole thing back for me: I'd been worried about the U turn, but nailed it on the day, only to fail by knocking a cone over on the emergency stop - which I'd never done in practice. Never mind though buddy, you'll get it next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my MOD1 retest today.

Got about an hour practice with instructor before test, did slalom / figure 8, u-turn almost constantly, start was a bit wobbly getting used to the bike again but at the end I couldn't do it wrong, had everything down perfect every time.

Went to test centre and off I went again... Slalom and figure of 8 went fine, as did slow ride and then onto the dreaded U-Turn... pulled away too slow again but this time managed to pull it back and got a decent run, done the turn and half way through just ended up slowing right down and sure enough foot went down! :cry:

TBH at that point I ended test, regret it a bit now as should have got some more practice in on the faster maneuvers but I was so f**ked off just didn't see the point in wasting both our time.

Really gutted this time! :evil:

Gutted for you Via. that u turn is a bast*rd.

Just really don't know what to do as can do them consistently in practice just goes out of the window at test centre.

Feel for you, test centre has a horrible effect. In practice my figure of rights were lovely, practically full lock. In the test I was so bloody wide, only just got through with it. Keep practicing you will pass.

You have to practice, and practice and practice, I hated the fookers, failed twice just on u turn, everything else from day 1 was fine, you need to practice so that you know what the mistakes are, even replicate them ie do it too slow and learn how to recover.

By the time I passed my mod 1 I had about 6ft spare after doing the turn and had to ride to the line at the side so It didn't look like I had stopped in the middle.

Good luck, I'm glad I don't have to do it at test center anymore, but I still do the odd one just cause I'm mad lol.

You have to practice, and practice and practice, I hated the fookers, failed twice just on u turn, everything else from day 1 was fine, you need to practice so that you know what the mistakes are, even replicate them ie do it too slow and learn how to recover.

By the time I passed my mod 1 I had about 6ft spare after doing the turn and had to ride to the line at the side so It didn't look like I had stopped in the middle.

Good luck, I'm glad I don't have to do it at test center anymore, but I still do the odd one just cause I'm mad lol.

Yeah practice practice practice is only answer just so frustrated because I honestly thought I had that and those little bits nailed down during practice as I was trying different things like doing it faster / slower and a couple of times went too slow so I'd just pick up a bit of speed and bring it back under control, never put foot down...

Think it boils down to brain going to mush in there so think I'll just have to keep at it until it becomes muscle memory instead of relying on my brain which is too unreliable it seems :lol:

Is there anything different about the layout of the test centre compare to where you practice?

Such as if you are practicing in the middle of a car park, so do not think about your speed because if you go to fast you just go too wide, but at the test centre it is done going into a corner surrounded by a fence (as it was at mine). Then the risk of the hazard may making you subconsciously slow down too much.

You know you can do it, and test nerves do not seem to be a problem with anything else, so I am just wondering if there is something about the layout when taking that particular test which is putting you off? Or maybe just something distracting in your eyeline?

If there is something then becoming conscious of it should make a big difference next time. Otherwise just try to practice in as similar a layout as the test centre as possible.

I don't think so, car park u turn ends with a kerb and tree, if anything the test centre one is more spacious. Plus instructor has put cones in car park slightly closer than in test centre.

Yeah going to have to go out on the 125 as much as I can to practice them after work.

Similar to what you said earlier instructor has said to practice messing them up as well, wobble shoulders 1/2 way through turn, close throttle, etc... to then practice correcting it.

My instructor said he didn't know how to help me lol, least he was honest, practice as much as you can, mix it up with other slow control and have a relaxing ride home afterwards, don't let it get you down its all doable :thumb:

Try to find a narrow road with the worst camber you can find and practice on that. If you can nail those conditions then the test centre will be a doddle.

Keep the revs up as this balances the bike and control speed with rear brake. Always look where you want to go.

This is all easy for me to say as I am laid in a nice warm comfy bed and not at a test centre getting all nervous a wanting to pass ‘cos it means everything to me.

As an ex driving instructor I’ve seen what you’re going through too many tines I lost count.

It all boils down to how you personally deal with the stress of exams/tests.

I’ve had pupils go up for test that were excellent and I thought would fly through and failed numerous times because they hated the test situation. I’ve taken others that were OK and had a good chance of passing if they keep their cool and they’ve sailed through because they took the test in their stride.

It’s funny what nerves can do to people. Some thrive and some dive and sometimes you don’t know which camp you’re in until you experience it.

All the best for the next one. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. You can always go again. Just go and enjoy yourself.

I think the problem might be a high concentration of nervousness at the very start, you are rushing to get into the turn and thus not taking off with enough speed.

Maybe practise smoothly taking off, settle in with enough pace to complete the turn, and then start your turn a bit further down the test area?

I know I had a terrible time with U-turns, until I spent 15 mins practising them from a rolling start. That really helped me to find the correct point/speed to begin my turn. Hope that helps :D

Good luck next time!

Figure of 8 was my nemesis, just couldn’t keep the throttle steady what with arm going from full extension to bent and back.

Just thought of the mod1 as a practice and no issues.

It’s the toughest test though, as just no room for error whatsoever. Foot down, cone hit, line crossed, too slow, too fast you fail.

So don’t feel bad if you fail. And feel epic when you pass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk