Lost all confidence in riding..... (test now passed)

BigHeavy1095

Well.... I tried my best.

Up nice and early, Got a good breakfast down me and got the Burgman Insured and taxed, feeling a bit over confident. rode over to the training school with my friend following me on my Burgman. Had half an hour sit down and chat refreshing my mind on junctions, lane positioning etc etc.

Then we headed out for our two hour pre-test lesson, The other guy who was also doing his test was riding like a bit of a muppet through our two hour lesson, constantly speeding, not indicating, braking sharply, not doing lifesavers etc :roll: so most of the instructors attention was on him for the lesson. I just followed them for most of the lesson but felt fairly confident in my riding.

We got to the test center, The other guy went off for his mod2 first. I used this idle time to watch a couple of roadcraftnottinghams videos on youtube with my instructor. The time passed quickly and the other guy came back, He had failed on repeated speeding, going through a red light and had dropped the bike at an island :roll:

It was my turn.

Absolutely bricking it at this point. Met the examiner with a handshake, Went through all of the paperwork stuff etc etc etc and headed out. Traffic wasn't too bad but the weather... well it was raining heavily and the winds were pretty bad. I didn't have my waterproofs on as I didn't think it would actually rain today. :roll: but I persevered and carried on, Just trying to keep it a really smooth ride. We pulled up a few times and pulled off. Did a hill start and went on a mixture of roads. I was still feeling good at this point. I was just riding how I would ride while with my instructor.

It was on the way back to the test centre when I thought that I had completely screwed things up. We had come onto a 30mph road from a 40mph road, There were parked cars to my left so I rode out right at the edge of my lane when a child ran out from behind a parked van. There was a car coming the opposite way so I did an emergency stop from 30mph in the rain. The child froze in the middle of the road staring at me and I thought that was it. Id managed to stop the bike five or so inches away from the child. The child's mother ran out and grabbed the child and started shouting and swearing at me, as if it was my fault she let her child run out into the road. The examiner said nothing other than to just ride on, I thought for sure Id failed there and then.

We got back to the test centre, Met with my instructor and waited for the few minutes that felt like a few hours.

Then the three words I never thought I'd hear "Congratulations, You've passed" I won't lie, as a grown man and a door supervisor... I almost cried in joy.

Zero minors. The examiner complimented me on a perfect ride despite the weather conditions and said that I handled the child running out perfectly. One of the best rides he has seen so far this year.

We got back to the training school, I ripped the L plates off of the YBR and waited for my friend to come back so I could ride the Burgman home and he could ride the YBR for me. Needless to say I took the extra long route home, I didn't care about the rain. I just wanted to ride. Im now home, just letting it sink in that Ive gone from a nervous wreck on a bike to holding a full licence.

:cheers:

Congrats and well done on the emergency stop in the rain. :thumb:

Now enjoy the riding and the learning starts now. :cheers:

when a child ran out from behind a parked van.

:shock: I imagine you were quite pleased it wasn't a two way radio at that point :lol:

Top job though, last thing you need on an already stressful day is a stupid child and an even stupider parent :roll:

when a child ran out from behind a parked van.

:shock: I imagine you were quite pleased it wasn't a two way radio at that point :lol:

Top job though, last thing you need on an already stressful day is a stupid child and an even stupider parent :roll:

Oh yes, I dread to think what the outcome would have been if he were able to hear what I was saying. :roll: :lol:

Thanks guys.

I've not stopped smiling since the examiner told me Id passed.

I've been out on the Burgman, Only a quick run up to Burton-On-Trent to pick up some keys for work but I took the long way again. :lol:

Im going to give the Burgman a few weeks, to get used to it etc but I don't think its the bike for me. It's great riding something that isn't screaming its nuts off at 55-60mph and has enough power to make it feel effortless and it's very comfortable but it just doesn't feel, right.

I always say

Car = A to B

Bike = A, C, D, B

Cars are just so f**king Boring!

Hence why I refuse to own one.. I get forced to use a work van sometimes when im on site patrols or meeting new customers and thats enough for me. I can see why car drivers are always so angry :lol: :lol: its bloody miserable driving everywhere :lol:

Took my first legal pillion this morning :lol:

The Burgman is refusing to start at the moment so I've no choice but to use the YBR until its fixed. Took my niece to "breakfast club" at school (since when did having breakfast at school become a thing?!?) I don't think her teacher was too impressed when she rocked up on a bike! :lol:

pillion.thumb.png.ef8badd87db3fb58574fe55cb60f371f.png

• 1 month later...

going along a joyful sunny country road behind a HUGE EFFING TRACTOR & a car sitting behind...

car in front started to overtake when the tractor turned right just ,,,,

no accident happened but NO ONE could see the EFFING TRACTORS indicators because of the IMPLEMENT behind it.....

:3some:

I still ride a 125 daily, it just fits my needs at the moment and is cheap as heck to run! Now I have an insurance payout from my most recent smash I can go out and get another Burgman or a Tiger800 again :lol: Nothing wrong with a 125 but yeah.... when you can out accelerate a dick in a Porsche from the lights.... you'll really love having a big bike licence :lol: