Wobble and crash

kaiten

This happened while riding in Georgia, between Mestia and Ushguli in the Caucasus mountains.

The wobble appeared due to worn steering bearings. As soon as I changed the bearings the symptoms disappeared.

No damage other than some scratches and a broken pannier latch. Considering the road I'd say this was very lucky.

What do you think caused it? anythig I could have done better?

https://youtu.be/UHznNiuwYZI

Full video here - https://motorcycling.to/georgia/on-the-other-side-of-the-sea

Was that wobble happening every time you got between 60-63? Looks like you tried to turn in and the bike wanted to go the other way/not move. Which I’ve heard other people’s bikes do when the head bearings were gone and you got that sorted :).

From what i can see on the video it looks like the road has a join running down it and is in pretty poor condition, you can clearly see it when you stop, also alot of crap on the road from where the wobble started to where you stopped, once it started you can see your drifting to the edge as the bike is standing its self up, think you were lucky to have stopped relatively safely.

Could you have done something else probably, best off avoiding riding in the center line, after that you could have tried lots of things but thats the same with life, best to try avoid situations in the first place, could have backed of, put weight forward, could have gave more throttle and risked leaning it over more whilst trying moving your weight back, you did what you did and your ok so probably best not to dwell on it too much.

Glad your ok and no major damage

As above, there seems to be a load of rubble just where the wobble starts. If there's play in the head bearings it won't help, but it looks like you clipped something that threw the bike off balance. It's very hard not to over correct when that happens.

As above, I'd be amazed if worn steering head bearings caused that - if so then Suzuki sure know how to make a marginal frame! I'd be inclined to check the rear shock has any oil left in it, a seriously saggy rear can leave the front light enough to cause wobbles like that.

By the way I think you coped marvellously, I probably would've tried to hold on all the way down the cliff..

Reminds me of the fellow who went on a horse riding holiday in Georgia. They were on tough, stocky Georgian horses. One day the whole group climbed up to the top of cliff, winding their way up from the river valley. Right at the top, when they were on the edge of the drop, the view was incredible, and the guy was just about to reach for his camera when he felt his horse sway slightly, as next thing he knew the horse was leaning over the edge. He jumped off and saved himself, but the horse just flopped over and down with a baleful whinneying noise. At this, the guys in charge of the group got very excited and raced off over the edge into the abyss after the horse. A normal horse wouldn't have survived the fall; it was a sheer drop of several hundred feet. But after about 10 minutes the guys appeared leading a rather sheepish looking horse who had somehow suffered just a few cuts and bruises.

True story. I came across it here https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/jan/08/georgia-caucasus-horse-riding, and ever since, horse riding in Georgia has been my #1 dream holiday. :D

• 5 months later...
if so then Suzuki sure know how to make a marginal frame!

TL 1000S anyone? Oh, the fun......

I owned one for 8 years..... I miss that bike! Talk about smiles per miles

Was it as bad as they reckoned? Or was that just hype? The rotary damper was supposed to be the culprit.

TL 1000S anyone? Oh, the fun......

I owned one for 8 years..... I miss that bike! Talk about smiles per miles

Was it as bad as they reckoned? Or was that just hype? The rotary damper was supposed to be the culprit.

A lot of it was scare mongering!

There was a host of issues but not related to the frame as such

The rear damper could overheat which could cause it to lock up so you had little to no suspension!

The chain tension had to be on the loose side as it would get a lot tighter with weight on it

The rear spring was separate to the shock and the shaft bushing would wear uneven causing it to be less effective

Coupled with a short wheelbase and steep steering rake it would have a fit!

If everything was set right it would handle pretty well