CBT - Experiences of other Members

Find all you need to know about learning to ride a motorbike including CBT, theory/hazard perception, tests and advanced training.
Cant find what you need? Ask away in this section!
Impy2
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: CBT - Experiences of other Members

Post by Impy2 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 pm

I'm waiting to do my CBT but have bought a Suzuki VanVan. I sit on it in the garage to see what it feels like. The bike seems heavy but i suppose when it's moving it's not like that?
Cheers
Steve

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Has liked: 1981 times
Been liked: 1429 times

Post by Hoggs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm

A vanvan you say... paging [mention]bonio[/mention] to the thread :thumb:
NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE 2020 CHALLENGE?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71618

shit at modding, awesome at making challenge tags Not a fan of early Xmas decorating

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1470 times
Been liked: 616 times

Post by bonio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Impy2 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 pm
I'm waiting to do my CBT but have bought a Suzuki VanVan. I sit on it in the garage to see what it feels like. The bike seems heavy but i suppose when it's moving it's not like that?
Cheers
Steve
Cheers [mention]Hoggs[/mention]!
VanVan? A great bike :thumb: It weighs about 50grams when it's moving. Even at low speeds, it feels just fine; it rides very steadily, and the wide handlebars means it corners easily too. The seat is super comfy; I've ridden mine for fours hours straight and felt as fresh as daisy getting off.
Two Soups

Mommasoph
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mommasoph » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm

I brought a Honda shadow butbI think quite heavy but low for me as I’m
5Ft

SlowBusa
Bike(s): Hayabusa
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by SlowBusa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Impy2 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 pm
Cheers
Steve
You still havnt done the CBT?

Impy2

Post by Impy2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 pm

No hurt my back at moment but will do it shortly.
Cheers
Steve

Impy2

Post by Impy2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I was talking to a CBT instructor today. He tells me it's four hours out on the road in Northern Ireland compared to 2 hours in England. That sounds a long time when you aren't used to biking.

Impy2

Post by Impy2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I was talking to a CBT instructor today. He tells me it's four hours out on the road in Northern Ireland compared to 2 hours in England. That sounds a long time when you aren't used to biking.

Staffy
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Staffy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Completed my CBT training today and loved it. There were only 2 of us and the instructor who was brilliant. Started at 9am. Introduction to the other chap and the instructor bought us a coffee.
Did some safety checks of the bikes and controls, sorted out some protective gear and started riding round the car park.
Brief break, time to get a burger, talked about road riding and out on the road. He gave us really clear instructions and the 2 hours flew by! I loved it. Back to the car park and got our certificates.
Can't wait to start learning on a 600cc now.

Mommasoph

Post by Mommasoph » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Had 2nd cbt Sunday didn’t pass but got out on road need more on road training go be signed off ! I got nervous and it was pissing down. I won’t give up lol ! 3rd one booked in 2 weeks ! Come on !!!!!!

CammyS999
Bike(s): None... yet
Been liked: 1 time

Post by CammyS999 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Took my CBT today at Scotriders in Dundee. Having never ridden a bike before, the instructors really put me at ease. There was originally 3 of us however a Romanian lass turned up with only a Romanian licence. She was swiftly told to get a UK licence then she was more than welcome to come back. That left just the 2 of us with the other guy having quite a bit more experience than me with trail bikes and Drag Racing.
It resulted with a 1-2-1 instructor ratio and my confidence just seemed to keep growing and growing and eventually felt really at ease on the bike. We got all of the CBT necessities out of the way then headed for a general ride on some back roads.
I definitely have the bug now and looking forward to getting out on the bigger bikes to sit my MOD 1 and 2. The instructor was really keen to get me through in about 6 lessons.
Shame to see that other guys aren’t having such a positive experience. Scotriders really are excellent at what they do and can’t recommend them highly enough.
Cheers :D

Mommasoph

Post by Mommasoph » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am

Passed cbt Sunday 🖤🏍💁🏻‍♀️

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by mikestrivens » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 am

well done, now the fun begins
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge score: 320
Has liked: 1261 times
Been liked: 1227 times

Post by JRH » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 am

Mommasoph wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am
Passed cbt Sunday 🖤🏍💁🏻‍♀️
:thumb: well done
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2020 challenge 100

Pubs 8 / 10
Churches 10 / 10
West Midlands 3 / 12
East Midlands 1 /12
South Wales 2 / 12
Hoggs Bonus 1 / 15
Bonus Bonus 2 / 15

elizabethf
Bike(s): Yamaha MT 07
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 345 times

Post by elizabethf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am

So, I passed my CBT about 10 days ago, I did a 2 day - day one on a 110cc scooter as a confidence booster and then the second day on the 125 geared.

Won't spend too long going through day one - initially i was bobbing myself but once I found my balance I was happy as larry shooting round, found manoeuvres fine, loved being out on the road. Passed CBT there.

Day two, proper bike time! I was a pretty nervous, but I knew I had my balance now so that certainly made shuffling around at the beginning easier (moving forward and back, finding biting point on the clutch). Before all that, the road safety talk of course and clothing. At first I fumbled a bit with the gears, because I was being too gentle lol! Bit rougher, I stopped accidentally slipping into neutral.

I lost my head a bit trying to do manoeuvres - I was quite jerky. This was because I wasnt using enough throttle, and not feathering the clutch enough. I got a little bit of 1:1 time though to remedy this and once the penny dropped I was able to U turn, shalom and figure of 8 fine. I did lose a bit of control on one of my shalom attempts as I released the clutch then rested on the throttle so the bike shot off a little, but the instructor was happy because I didn't panic, i just removed myself from the cones, got back under control quick and swung around to go again, no problems then. I am still a bit weary of first gear tight turns but fortunately the street i live on is a close so I'm going to practice the hell out of tight circles and weaving when I buy my bike!

Anyway once we were both happy I was understanding the bike a bit better and he could see I was fed up of pootling at 10mph (the academy uses a small yard rather than a car park, so not a huge amount of room for acceleration before you have to turn a corner) so we did the talk about riding out, and position at junctions/roundabouts, then he took me out on some country roads and housing estates - I LOVED it. I suddenly felt a bit more at one with the bike, and really got to grips with smooth gear changes. I was doing corners at about 15mph because I wanted to be sure to keep in lane and control them no matter how tight which Im sure the cars behind loved, but Im sure that will come with time!

Currently spending ages just sitting on bikes and trying to find one I like (hard life being short) and cant wait to get practising and enjoying rides! (once the nerves have subdued) I feel my instructor (Matt) really helped me boost confidence and could read when I was getting frustrated and break it down for me. Plus there were plenty of cups of tea!

Return to “CBT, Test and Advanced Training Information”