Best way to start riding?

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post. I'm looking to hopefully get a motorbike soon. I'm 21, have a full car license. I haven't yet done my cbt but I'm wondering what the best way to go about it all is.

Should I do my cbt, spend money on a 125cc and learn on that or is there another way possible to do my cbt and full test to get an A2 license just to open me up to other options, so I don't have to spend money on a 125 just to pass my test and want to go higher.

Any advice would be awesome thanks guys!

Welcome to TMBF mate. .....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ...... 8-)

Personally I'd go for the A2 option.....I think you'd get bored on a 125 after a short while.....but that's just my humble opinion. ..... 8-)

Hello! I'd go do the CBT make sure you like it (you will) and then chat with the school on getting your A2 license. You'll need to do another bike specific theory test before the A2.

keep us updated :cheers:

Go for the bigger bike :), you’ll be bored of a 125 fairly quickly. They’re soon changing the way the tests work so if you do an A2 you can do an upgrade course in 2 years rather than having to do the test all over again. Not too sure when that comes into play though.

I think judging by what everyone's saying I'm going to do cbt, get some lessons and go straight for the a2 test!

I'd like to say though I'm really surprised at how nice you guys all are and how welcome I feel despite not even owning a bike yet! Other forums I've joined for various different things hate noob questions, so thanks a lot I'll definitely be sticking around and will be on the roads riding soon!

Edited by Ktj6

I think judging by what everyone's saying I'm going to do cbt, get some lessons and go straight for the a2 test!

I'd like to say though I'm really surprised at how nice you guys all are and how welcome I feel despite not even owning a bike yet! Other forums I've joined for various different things hate noob questions, so thanks a lot I'll definitely be sticking around and will be on the roads riding soon!

we've all been there, some of us not that long ago. keep it updated how you get on especially when you get your first bike.

Welcome, As other have said, go do your CBT and see how you feel. The test for A2 and full A is the exact same, so It's up to you if you want to do it twice, or if you stay on a 125cc until you are 24 then do the test for your full A licence.

Depending on what you are wanting from a bike, 125c's can be fine. I stayed on mine for 2 years before getting my full licence. Still use the 125 for commuting to work and general around town stuff. But everyone likes and wants different things.

Welcome.

The 125s are fast enough for getting about on, but when you get behind somebody doing 45mph you haven't got enough power to get past quickly and safely. I'm not up to speed with all the modern tests and licences but I would go the route of big and powerful. :thumb:

They’re soon changing the way the tests work so if you do an A2 you can do an upgrade course in 2 years rather than having to do the test all over again. Not too sure when that comes into play though.

It will not be soon.

The consultation overwhelmingly supported the idea of being able to upgrade licences through training, but the DVSA still need to decide how it would work, fund upgrading their systems to support it, and for a change in the law to allow it.

So they now have to make an actual proposal and budget, then consult again on the details. But even after all that, the effects of Brexit will dominate Parliament for years. Getting the government to see this as an important enough issue to set aside time for it is not a given.

If you're sure you're gonna like riding and can afford an a2 test then do that now - no point buying a 125 only to sell it a week or two later. But if you buy preowned you won't lose anything on it.

If you're not sure then ride a 125 for a while. They're good fun. Your CBT will give you a good taste of whether you enjoy it or not.

I'm gonna be difficult and advocate having a 125 for a while, had great fun pootling around on mine and I would've really missed out if I'd gone straight to a big bike! So much so that I bought another 125 later on. And I've been trying to get another but they don't seem to be a thing here.

Just avoid anything Chinese, preferably get a well priced second hand Japanese 125 and you'll easily break even when you sell it - no obstacle to future purchase of a bigger bike! Unlike the Chinese variety which will depreciate faster than cheese in a sauna.

The truth is the best way is an individual thing and no one can tell you what is right for you, and the only person who can genuinely advise you is the trainer who saw how you rode and can offer informed advice. It all depends on your ability, confidence, learning style,where and why you are riding, and finance.

You would just not ask a complete stranger whether you should leave your partner, without telling them all about yourself, and trust their advice. Asking the best way to get into biking without any context is no different.

Yet every time this question comes up, as understandably it does frequently, you just get a chorus of people telling you that a 125 is beneath them and so you will hate it. Even though they do not know you and plenty of us enjoyed and/or learned a lot from starting on a 125.

The only sane advice is to do the CBT, as you have to take that first whatever decision you end up making, then see how you feel afterwards. Ask the trainer what they would recommend as the best option for you if you are still unsure.

The truth is the best way is an individual thing and no one can tell you what is right for you, and the only person who can genuinely advise you is the trainer who saw how you rode and can offer informed advice. It all depends on your ability, confidence, learning style,where and why you are riding, and finance.

You would just not ask a complete stranger whether you should leave your partner, without telling them all about yourself, and trust their advice. Asking the best way to get into biking without any context is no different.

Yet every time this question comes up, as understandably it does frequently, you just get a chorus of people telling you that a 125 is beneath them and so you will hate it. Even though they do not know you and plenty of us enjoyed and/or learned a lot from starting on a 125.

The only sane advice is to do the CBT, as you have to take that first whatever decision you end up making, then see how you feel afterwards. Ask the trainer what they would recommend as the best option for you if you are still unsure.

Will definitely take this on board! As I haven't even done my cbt I cant really tell, I may love the 125 and want to have a few months to learn on that but I think it's a good idea to ask my instructor who will see me ride! Thanks for the advice dude!

Will definitely take this on board! As I haven't even done my cbt I cant really tell, I may love the 125 and want to have a few months to learn on that but I think it's a good idea to ask my instructor who will see me ride! Thanks for the advice dude!

No problem, and for doing the CBT the only advice needed is to enjoy it. Good luck!

To be honest you're at awkward age and with current licensing (which will hopefully be changing as mentioned but don't hold your breath) you basically have 2 choices...

Get a 125 and hold off until you're 24 and do full DAS this will mean 3 years on a 125 and 2 CBTs though.

Go for A2, this is normally same price as DAS though and then you are limited to A2 bikes, after 2 years you can then take DAS (so you can get larger bike sooner) but it would mean then doing a DAS and tests again, albeit a shorter course as you'll have 2 years experience by then.

Boils down to how impatient you are / what you can afford.