Any brewers on here?

Mr Fro

For my latest fad, I've had the idea if making some homebrew.

I had a go about 20 years ago - one of those tinned jobs - and it was bloody awful. I mean really bad. Stomach cramp bad.

Anyroad, I read a book on it the other day and got it in my head so thought I'd give it a whirl. Only this time I want to work up to doing my own mashes.

Now before I go out and give a wedge of cash to some Cambridge artisan bloke with a beard and a neckerchief, has anyone got any top tips or handy advice of what to get and what not to bother with?

Cheers,

Fro

I use the tins. They aren't as bad as they used to be.

I have some bookmarks on the pc for suppliers, I'll find them for you.

Make sure you bottle it in dark bottles, it stops the light getting to the beer and ruining it.

Good info dudes.

A few links would be magic Mr W. No worries on the bottles - I'm saving up the empties from the extensive market research I've been doing. ;-)

I have a press and most of the kit to make cider! :lol:

Never got round to getting the rest of the stuff and actually doing it!

But it's on my to do list :lol: :cheers:

It's got to be done Ian, just imagine your first batch - 40 odd pints of Rennie's Scrumpy. :-D

I have a press and most of the kit to make cider! :lol:

Never got round to getting the rest of the stuff and actually doing it!

But it's on my to do list :lol: :cheers:

It's got to be done Ian, just imagine your first batch - 40 odd pints of Rennie's Scrumpy. :-D

Got to come up with a suitable name for it.......my suggestion is "Rennie's Heart Burner"..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I tried a wilko home brew real ale which came out ok minus the pressure barrel springing a leak so ended up throwing away 38 of the 40 pints left.

Also did 2 of their wine kits and they came out really nice!

Top Tip! =

Speak to a Micro Brewer (nearest to us is Papworth) - They are very helpful and give out free tasters if you visit them.

:cheers:

Someone else said that to me today too - apparently there's a place in Bury so I'll toddle along there at some point. :-)

As Mr W said, the tins that you can buy now are far better than they used to be and you should be able to come up with an acceptable brew quite quickly and cheaply.

If you want to create your own micro brewery in the kitchen, the best book on the subject is Home Brewing by Graham Wheeler. There's a second hand copy on Amazon at the moment for 1p (plus postage) !

I met him once, quite unassuming but very knowledgeable.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up and oldish thread.

Have you started this yet [mention]Mr Fro[/mention]?

You got me thinking about it so I ordered this;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Starter-Kit-Beer-Cider-Ale-Making-With-Barrel-Keg-CO2-Injection-/231071730087

And a ready made lager kit from the range I think the brand is called ‘make your own’

It’s currently fermenting but everything seems to be going okay.

Sorry to dig up and oldish thread.

Have you started this yet @Mr Fro?

You got me thinking about it so I ordered this;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Starter-Kit-Beer-Cider-Ale-Making-With-Barrel-Keg-CO2-Injection-/231071730087

And a ready made lager kit from the range I think the brand is called ‘make your own’

It’s currently fermenting but everything seems to be going okay.

Not yet, I've been frantically trying to finish up my uni work for the year.

I'm going to get a brew on in readiness for son's birthday in August so I'll have to get cracking soon.

I read a really good homebrew book - How to Brew by John Palmer. It's available as a free PDF and is definitely worth a read.

.... One tip that always works.... Even if you use a tin kit, NEVER use more than 1/2 Ib table sugar in it..although this ferments down to give the alcohol content, it also causes the thin, sour taste that characterises these kits. Instead, use crystal malt or glucose chips from a brewing shop. Result - nice strong beer that actually tastes good!

I've read the same thing speedy - quite a few people avoid sugar all together and stick two tins of jollop in.

"Jollop" = malt extract.......Muntons is good

• 2 weeks later...