Need something to put my phone on whilst riding.

Not sure why a phone would be any more dangerous than a dedicated GPS unit?

If anything I find trying to read some road signs — waiting for them to be close enough to be readable, too often having to look around some trees to see them, then working out where you need to be before you pass them — to be more distracting than a GPS screen.

I use the https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk system on my bike, 3 cars and push bike. Works brilliantly and comes with a poncho to waterproof the phone if it isn't already. I tend to use Waze or Scenic as my satnav and the instructions are Bluetotthed to my Schuberth C4 helmet. I could make calls as well but haven't tried as I prefer being incommunicado on the bike.

A GPS shouldn't chime when you get texts, ring when you get a call, chirps when someone you love tweets, flashes across the screen for extended times when Facebook misses you...

GPS are much calmer than most phones.

A GPS shouldn't chime when you get texts, ring when you get a call, chirps when someone you love tweets, flashes across the screen for extended times with Facebook misses you...

MOst modern GPS systems allow all of the above and a lot more.

Here you go

https://ultimateaddons.com/collections/motorcycle-apple-iphone-mount-kits

Be sure to get a power supply from them to connect to the phone to the bike's power supply, if you use the GPS on your phone the phone battery will be soon rinsed.

A GPS shouldn't chime when you get texts, ring when you get a call, chirps when someone you love tweets, flashes across the screen for extended times when Facebook misses you...

Both iOS and Android can reduce notifications when driving. iOS apparently does it automatically when it detects you are traveling in a car, android does it through the android auto app. Calls get through, buy social media won't on android auto.

Maybe you need a better phone then, because mine has never done any of that. Not that I could hear it ring or chirp over the wind, road, and bike noise through the helmet and ear plugs whilst riding . You must have exceptional hearing!

Actually I like my texts popping up on the phone in front of me, they normally hold long enough for me to see who they are from. Then I can decide if I want to stop and reply or continue riding, a phone buzzing in your pocket is more of a distraction in many ways...

I won't mention the ability to make and receive calls/ texts ("OK google read new texts") on the bike as that would just bring scorn...

I bought one of these inexpensive and does the job, hasn't come lose on my single cylinder himalayan cheap and cheerful holder

I bought one like that for my bike but never got round to fitting it.

I would only use it on journeys which i need sat nav for (highly likely to be none but i like spending money) as i would be tempted to change song etc or have a look at lights.

Temptation

I bought one of these inexpensive and does the job, hasn't come lose on my single cylinder himalayan cheap and cheerful holder
I've got one of these - does the job fine. However, today for the first time I tried phone in breast pocket and headphone in my ear with audio instructions - worked a treat. Screen off probably saves the battery too.

If you are not using a USB on the bike, I would definitely recommend a battery case when using a phone as a GPS. You can them from as little as £10, up to £30. It makes the phone fatter, but it you are using a universal handlebar mount and case then it is not a problem.

I have a cheap 7000mAh case for mine, and with the screen on for over seven hours, and bluetooth streaming music for a lot of the time too, the case will still have around 30% charge remaining at the end.

However, today for the first time I tried phone in breast pocket and headphone in my ear with audio instructions - worked a treat. Screen off probably saves the battery too.

I did that for a long whilst phone in pocket, worked great until double mini roundabouts it could never keep up or motorway junction round about, where it just said take the exit, there were 4!

I know what you mean. I also used that set up a few times until I went to Runcorn one day.

I set the route to go over Snake Pass. I missed an instruction near Sheffield and ended up going over the Cat & Fiddle 😂😂.

Bit of a Bruce’y Bonus really.