Flat?

mole81

• 1 month later...

Flat? About 1 atom thick. That battery is totally, irrevocably, fooked. Buy a new one.... When it arrives, have a good look at it. You should be able to see a fluid level between the marks on the case. It should be charged, ready to go. If it isn't, put it on the charger at 12V for a few hours, then fit it, making sure that the polarity is correct.

If it has removable caps on the cells, remove them. Look inside. You should be able to see the level of the electrolyte (liquid) which should cover the top of the plates by a couple of mm. Replace caps. BE CAREFUL - THE FLUID IN THE CELLS IS SULPHURIC ACID - DO NOT SPLASH IT ON YOURSELF. If you do, you will soon find out why you shouldn't. If there are no removable caps, you have a maintenance-free battery. So don't. Have fun.

When it arrives, have a good look at it. You should be able to see a fluid level between the marks on the case.

I remember batteries like that.. from years ago.. so long ago in fact that I think it was likely in the last century.

odd to think that people still buy batteries with a visible min/max level. so.. are designed to be topped up. and all the faffing about that goes with that.

When it arrives, have a good look at it. You should be able to see a fluid level between the marks on the case.

I remember batteries like that.. from years ago.. so long ago in fact that I think it was likely in the last century.

odd to think that people still buy batteries with a visible min/max level. so.. are designed to be topped up. and all the faffing about that goes with that.

But they fit in so well with my Leclanché cell for the wireless, gas lighting and candles for when the gas meter runs out. :wink: