Waterproofing Boots

Morning,

I have a lovely pair of RST Tractech Evo boots which are very comfortable. However, they are not waterproof. Does anyone know a way to effectively do that? I did try spraying with Fabsil and it helped but did not work completely.

thanks

I have no experience of the cheaper waterproof sock but I do have two pairs of Sealskinz and can tell you that they are waterproof. I have since bought a pair of Altberg boots which are waterproof so I have no need to wear the sealskinz these days.

Sealskinz are waterproof, but not sure if they are breathable.

They are, I've worn them lots.

https://www.sealskinz.com/socks/mtb-thin-mid-socks-with-hydrostop-black-grey.htm

Just read the description for confirmation.

I can confirm they are as well. wore them for 4 days hiking around Dartmoor with trainers rather than waterproof boots. Surprisingly comfortable.

I bought some Alpinstars smx5 WP boots, after 2 years of weather proection ( provided I wore my trousers outside of them ) using a preventative maintenance mind set I treated them with Nikwax - what a bloody stupid idea, it seems that the WP coating resisted the Nikwax and just left it dried to the outside and now difficult to remove, you live and learn.

Mickly

IME "waterproofing" sprays etc only extend the time before boots start to leak. The same applies to gloves, jackets and trousers (and tents). If you want actual waterproof, buy Goretex. That is the only thing which will prevent getting wet in heavy, extended rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Belated thanks to all who recommended SealSkins. Been wearing them all week and my feet bone dry and not too hot to cold.my boots are saturated though. I got a pair of long socks for £20 and I'm really impressed.