Write off Catagories question

Phooey

As some of you know, last Septembeer I had an off which resulted in the bike being written off. I bought the bike back off of the insurers as it was only cosmetic damage. I am almost in a position to get it back on the road.

How do I find out what catagory the write off was. Cat D or Cat C

Also, will I need any kind of special MOT or safety check done before I can put it back on road?

Thanks as always guys ... looking forward to getting on two wheels again.

Thanks guys ... will it need some kind of safety check?

You will need to apply for a new V5.. whether you have the original or not. By sending the V62 to DVLA. I am fairly certain that it will also need a new (normal) MOT. Even if it doesn't.. it is I think a good idea.. for peace of mind. Your insurer may demand it anyway. They will tell you.

I think thats about it for the (usually) minor damage from a CAT C or D. bearing in mind that a bike can be declared Cat C simply for falling over.. a cracked faring can do it.. particularly if the bike is a few years old and replacement fairings are no longer available.. the actual category it is given is purely subjective and down to the whim of the assessor. one might declare it a Cat C.. another a Cat D. and another.. not write it off at all. (this depends a lot on the actual claim)

My own bike was declared a Cat C simply because it was stolen and not recovered until long after the original owner had been paid off.. the damage it had was due to scuff marks as it bounced around in the back of a van.. a bagster tank cover disguised that until i had it resprayed. It was sold to me with a new V5 and fresh MOT. that was all it needed to get it back on the road... this was back in 2005.

The categories for insurance write offs has changed - so it's not C or D any more.

The rules for putting them back on the road changed as well. Google it for the details, but the first thing is to check the paperwork to see what category it was put into.

The categories for insurance write offs has changed - so it's not C or D any more.

The rules for putting them back on the road changed as well. Google it for the details, but the first thing is to check the paperwork to see what category it was put into.

You're right... but it should be noted that the recent changes are (according to the RAC) purely voluntary with no "law" to support it.

see: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/changes-to-insurance-write-off-categories/

The need for a VIC (Vehicle identity check) was withdrawn in 2015. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-vic-scheme

the new code for purely cosmetic damage.. that replaces Cat C and D is Cat S. (according to the RAC)

Edited by Gerontious

You're right... but it should be noted that the recent changes are (according to the RAC) purely voluntary with no "law" to support it.

see: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-selling-guides/changes-to-insurance-write-off-categories/

the new code for purely cosmetic damage.. that replaces Cat C and D is Cat S.

Gov site

https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs

Thanks guys ... I'll follow all this up.

Incidently, I have received no paperwork at all from the insurers. They didn't even see the bike just photo's... the damage was cracked fairing and smashed twin lights with a scuff or two around the rest of the bike. They made a judgement and paid out allowing me to keep the bike. It never left my home since a mate recovered it the same day as the accident. I was too busy enjoying morphine and having my tibea rebuilt with bionic parts! lol

EDIT: That site was interesting. I didn't tell DVLA it was written off! I asumed the insurance company would have done that as a matter of protocol!