Need suggestions for locks, disc brakes and cover.

Either you think very little of Honda, or I hope you mean disc locks!

I use a Xena alarmed one and never had any problem with it going off when it should not. Maybe a 10mm would fits, but otherwise you would need a 6mm one for a CBF125. Someone with the bike can probably advise, else ask where you buy it. £40–60.

For a chain it depends if you will be carrying it around. I have a 1.5mm Oxford Heavy Duty Chain, which everyone will say can be easily cut with an angle grinder, but all chains can be easily cut with an angle grinder. That said, if I was buying one now I would get a better one, and at some point will upgrade it. But it is something I can carry around in a tank bag and wrap around the wheel, frame, and a lampost when available. Which is better than a heavy one with 20mm links which I will never use when out and about. That one though was £40

Someone will come along and tell you to look to the top right of the page, one of the sponsors of this site is a chain manufacturer offering a variety of types. Most likely including one with identical specs to the Oxford model.

I think any cover will do so long as it is not too thin that it tears easily. Again it depends if you only want it at home or will be carrying it around. Just make sure it has loops to pull a chain through, it cannot stop thieves but can slow them down to make it not worth the bother when they can more easily take the bike next to yours instead. £20 should be enough.

The difference can be used for a better chain and lock. Do not forget a cheap lock makes a strong chain redundant.

For insurance, I found including a chain or a disc lock did nothing to bring the price down, so I did not declare them. If you do and, for any reason, do not use them when something happens the insurance companies can use that to deny a claim. Do not declare them and you are not expected to use them, even though obviously you will.

Where are you storing it? I assume you're after overnight security at home?

I got an allyway next to my garden so we're getting a door installed there so I can bring it in the back over night.

Yeah that sounds wise, I don't imagine with any amount of security it'll last very long in an alleyway unless you live in a really nice area :).

If it's living in the alley for a short while get a noisy disk lock, cover and a heavy chain. If you've got something you can chain it to, even better.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the chunkiest Brindley Chain, 1.5m with the chunkiest padlock. It's a beast, and heavy. Though I often keep it in my topbox so I can use it for long-term parking security.

It's long enough that I can wrap it over the seat and through the rear wheel of my bandit when there's nothing to lock it against.

I've just bought a cheap disc lock from J&S for those brief stops where I think a minor deterrent is enough. Don't forget to get a reminder cable for it too.

I would suggest a cheap cover from Ghostbikes or Aldi. I find the expensive covers are hard to get on and off due to the elastic they use and they trap damp inside. Cheap covers may let some water in, but they dry our far quicker. The Ghostbikes one I have used gives me about 18 months before I need a new one, which was about the same time as more expensive covers from R&G and Oxford.

These look like the best available.

Is there a members discount on these?

Unfortunately not but they are a good price already IMO

About 200 for 1.5m chain and lock.

Plan is to use this while the bike is locked at home.

Worth it if it stops my bike being nicked.

• 2 weeks later...

So my 2014 125cc CBF is coming Saturday. But I want to order my security so I can insure at asap and get it on the road.

Looking to spend around £150ish on all 3 things, (overall) any suggestions?

Thanks

(UK)

Have you tried searching online or asking for recommendations from your friends? These are what my brother and I did when we bought a motorcycle. Meanwhile, we got our alarms and covers from this waterproof motorcycle cover provider that we found online. As for security items like disk braces, we got some from a local hardware shop that our aunt recommended. It’s a good idea to get as many referrals as you can before buying to assure that you’re getting the best deals right now.