Help Please! Throttle related question

Moonraker

Howdy!

So, entry for knob of the day for me today.

Needed to adjust my heated grip on my throttle side and I've managed to snap the plastic element on the handle bar, the bit you'd twist to intiate the throttle.

What is this plastic part called, please?

And any short term fixes whilst I get the part??

Thanks in advance

Hello , I've always referred to it as a Throttle Tube. Stick that in eBay and you will see a selection available.

With thanks!

Follow up Q, any short term fixes to make the throttle usable so I can get it to a garage in a day or two?

It's happened at a bad time as my car engine light has just come on!!! :shock:

Zip ties

But would have to have confidence it wont be a danger

Howdy. Forgive but how would zip ties work?

Probably best if I show you the damage.....

_20180416_122627.thumb.JPG.12893f8d1df8a692869cfe9a1bd0fea7.JPG

Circled area shows missing throttle tube

There's nothing left to repair I'm afraid. Pity because I was going to suggest ramming an empty Steradent container over what was left . Not my idea but I once bought a bike that had been repaired in this way . I dont think I discovered it for quite a while !

Aha, I've just realised its a Suzuki throttle tube . That bit that's still visible in the picture is particular to Suzuki. This means that you can only fit genuine Suzuki grips because all after market grips are not designed to fit over that conical flange. That's not to say you cant actually fit them but they just won't look very neat . There is , however, a solution and that is to buy Pro-grips that come with a Suzuki adapter or at least some of them do and there no guarantee there will be one in the box unless you buy over the counter. I'll nip out to my shed and take a pic to clarify what I mean . The other solution is to fit a non specific throttle tube that will accept any grip.

Ok, here you go , that black plastic ring with the textured surface is the bit I mean. By the way , those Oxford Fat Grips are great .

WP_20180416_19_46_09_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.b20c6ede0ee2625f4949ef08ce00a352.jpg

Aha, I've just realised its a Suzuki throttle tube . That bit that's still visible in the picture is particular to Suzuki. This means that you can only fit genuine Suzuki grips because all after market grips are not designed to fit over that conical flange. That's not to say you cant actually fit them but they just won't look very neat . There is , however, a solution and that is to buy Pro-grips that come with a Suzuki adapter or at least some of them do and there no guarantee there will be one in the box unless you buy over the counter. I'll nip out to my shed and take a pic to clarify what I mean . The other solution is to fit a non specific throttle tube that will accept any grip.

Ok, here you go , that black plastic ring with the textured surface is the bit I mean. By the way , those Oxford Fat Grips are great .

Thanks for the info fastbob. That would explain why I was going to have to modify the heated grip today, prior to me actually breaking it!

Sometimes lessons are learned a little too late I guess! :thumb:

I bought heated grips that for my bike of course, but not suzuki specific!!

The One Ive got is from an R6

Its a common mod to do to the Busa put an R6 or R1 on but I adjusted my stock one in the end so have this going free if he needs it

And seems so on the sv650s too............gives less travel for opening throttle so bike "seems" more powerfull

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57151