Phobias

I have a very bad fear of heights, acrophobia. Had it since I was a kid. Decided this would be the year I start to overcome it. Been for some hypnotherapy earlier this year and have a recording from the session I listen to but not helped as much as I would like so booking on a course which includes some nlp then progressive series of abseils and rock climbs.

Anyone have a phobia and conquered it?

I LOVE heights. I'm that annoying person who runs to the edge and looks over. :mrgreen:

I used to have a strong irrational dislike of spiral staircases. No idea why. Don't mind then too much now.

I LOVE heights. I'm that annoying person who runs to the edge and looks over. :mrgreen:

I used to have a strong irrational dislike of spiral staircases. No idea why. Don't mind then too much now.

I believe you weigh the same as a duck and are therefore made of wood.

Small spaces, At Uni I got drunk at a party got invited to a climbing wall a social, the next thing I know I am hanging from a rope in a cave.

http://www.rrcpc.org.uk/easegill/text/images/LANCPITCH.JPG

PS Google image not me!

Its small I want get out of here, you cannot comes the shout from the top we have got the Ascenders up here :twisted:

I never really got over the small space thing although I am better than I was, they did have some hellish socials so memory of most caves is a bit of a blurr...

Don't have any phobias myself, but back in my scuba diving days I did once go diving at Capenwray with a guy who stood on the edge of the entry platform quivering like a jelly. When I asked him what was wrong he turned around, and with a look of sheer terror in his eyes said "I have a massive phobia of fish."

:shock:

Not a lover of heights myself, at same time don't bother me enough to need to cure it.

One more recent though is I don't like needles, most that I'd have come in contact with at work are a death sentence so think that filtered across to all needles even ones I know safe... I now have to inject myself daily in my stomach :shock: don't think I'll ever get over that though it is pure torture but completely psychological as they don't hurt at all.

Don't have any phobias myself, but back in my scuba diving days I did once go diving at Capenwray with a guy who stood on the edge of the entry platform quivering like a jelly. When I asked him what was wrong he turned around, and with a look of sheer terror in his eyes said "I have a massive phobia of fish."

:shock:

You've reminded me about my girlfriends sisters fiancé. We were all on holiday and he wouldn't go in the sea because there were lots of small fish there. He also hates the look of turtles and tortoises, wouldn't go near a pond that had a couple in. Odd how the mind can work against you.

Not a phobia either, but I cannot stand belly buttons. They simply freak me out... anything touches/goes in my belly button I physically retch and feel/be sick. I don't partially like them on anyone else either, even the thought of key hole surgery though a belly button makes me feel queasy. :puke:

Not a phobia either, but I cannot stand belly buttons. They simply freak me out... anything touches/goes in my belly button I physically retch and feel/be sick. I don't partially like them on anyone else either, even the thought of key hole surgery though a belly button makes me feel queasy. :puke:

With injections mentioned above have to do them in my stomach, hospital actually told me to not inject in belly button as it will really hurt... Never occurred to me to even try it but do wonder if they have to give that disclosure how many people have tried it :lol:

I had to spend ages peeling superglue out of mine last month after keyhole surgery! In my case the cut was fractionally below the belly button rather than through it, but the surgeon was obviously a bit crack-handed with the Loctite!

I'm not a big fan of having my nipples touched...

I had to spend ages peeling superglue out of mine last month after keyhole surgery!

Just the thought of that makes me feel sick :? I once got sunburt on my stomach and that was bad enough! :lol: :puke:

Spiders

Heights

Lighthouses

Dams

Large ships, especially wrecks

Dang it, I'm psychological wreck...

lighthouses???

Small ones are ok. I really like the cute little one at Southwold. But Beachy Head....uhgh, no, that just too rectum-twistingly grim.

Big spiders for me and surprisingly hot air balloons! I stood in the basket of one and had to get out after looking up into the massive bag above me! Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. :shock: Don't mind heights and have flown an open cockpit bi plane in the past. Strange thing the mind. :?

I have a very bad fear of heights, acrophobia. Had it since I was a kid. Decided this would be the year I start to overcome it. Been for some hypnotherapy earlier this year and have a recording from the session I listen to but not helped as much as I would like so booking on a course which includes some nlp then progressive series of abseils and rock climbs.

I am exactly the same. Acrophobia is the fear of falling, which is what I have. Mine is mixed with a bit of "not being in control" fear, which is why I don't like flying. I tend to have a few beers prior to boarding.

In my opinion - best way to start getting over the phobia is to just do it. I've abseiled and rock climbed (in college) and with the more flights I take, the (little bit) better I get each time.

Stare the phobia in the face and tell it to do one :thumb:

I am exactly the same. Acrophobia is the fear of falling, which is what I have. Mine is mixed with a bit of "not being in control" fear, which is why I don't like flying. I tend to have a few beers prior to boarding.

In my opinion - best way to start getting over the phobia is to just do it. I've abseiled and rock climbed (in college) and with the more flights I take, the (little bit) better I get each time.

definitely my intention. I don't like feeling held back by anything particularly my own ridiculous mind. I'm alright on a plane or in an enclosed space high up, the more open the height the worse it is. Went skiing when I was a kid and I was ok going up the mountain in the gondola but really struggled with the chair lifts which were open.

definitely my intention. I don't like feeling held back by anything particularly my own ridiculous mind. I'm alright on a plane or in an enclosed space high up, the more open the height the worse it is. Went skiing when I was a kid and I was ok going up the mountain in the gondola but really struggled with the chair lifts which were open.

I went snowboarding had the same feeling in the open chair lifts and the gondola! I can only hope I get more used to things over time.

Recently i have been getting a phobia of hitting my head.. it started about a year ago but is developing quickly!

I don’t know why it started. When entering multi story car parks i feel the need to shut my eyes and put my hand on top of my head despite being sat in a car.. bending down to put plates etc in the cupboard after emptying the dishwasher hurts

Hell i keep squinting now just thinking about it !

I have a colleague who lives on the south coast, but if he's asked to go to a job in Essex he won't come back over the bridge at Dartford because he's scared of heights..........The laugh is, he used to be a Para!...... :shock: :lol: :lol: