Duffers in France 2018

I have just returned from the annual French Duffers trip. This year was slightly different, we went to Belgium and Luxembourg before France.

Our destinations were Mons Belgium, Luxembourg City and Cambrai France.

The photos

Bikes outside Premier Inn Ashford

20180423_064111.jpg

The motley crew on the Erutunnel train

20180423_092428.jpg

Enjoying a very large drink, from left to right

Glen, John, Richie, Rae and Mike

20180424_164042.jpg

One of our lunch stops with convenient bike parking.

20180424_123236.jpg

We had a wonderful Portuguese meal in Cambrai, and the young man on the far left is the restaurant owner and a nicer and more accommodating person you couldn't wish to meet.

20180426_204318.jpg

This is the tourist train in Luxembourg. There is a commentary in various languages via headphones and very informative it is too.

The one comment on the commentary that stood out was the little girl talking about one of Luxembourgs rulers of whom she finishes by saying "and then he shot himself" (bit of an in joke)

P1020121.jpg

Another shot of the large beers. We needed two hands to pick them up. Afterwards the barman told the rather inexperienced barmaid that when we asked for large we meant 500ml, "they're not Germans" he said.

Very_large_beers.jpg

Richie posing, we told him not to give up his day job.

Richie_posing.jpg

Casements Du Bok Luxembourg

P1020108.jpg

Another view of Casements Du Bok

P1020107.jpg

Lunch stop Bastogne

P1020105.jpg

Richie admiring the Tank parked in the town square Bastogne

P1020098.jpg

I was checking the weather on my phone

P1020096.jpg

We had two days in Luxembourg, one day off the bikes to enjoy the touristy bits and here we are having a well deserved coffee break.

EEC611266_E824_D8_AA344_D181763_BBEC7.jpg

That's it so far if I get any more pics I'll post them up.

Very Nice. I am thinking of going later in the year. How many days/nights did you do. :D

I was thinking Sun-Thursday and using Vianden as a base for a couple of days. :D

Been to viaden few times, going again in July lovely place and a great base , we go for 4 nights :thumb:

we

We? You say this like you have friends :lol:

The wife wants me to take her to the South of France at some point! I wouldn't mind extending it to Spain but it may end up been a long slog!

we

We? You say this like you have friends :lol:

The wife wants me to take her to the South of France at some point! I wouldn't mind extending it to Spain but it may end up been a long slog!

When I say we I mean me and my bike :up:

I’ll take her if you can’t be arsed :thumb:

I wouldn't ride to Spain, it's bad enough in the motorhome. Riding that far would be a right chore. Takes 5 days to get to Benidorm in the van, driving 6 hours ish a day on non toll roads.

Once you get there though it's excellent zipping about on the Honda Vision 110 :thumb:

Vianden is great.. though it is definitely a pricey place to stay. (perfect though for a single/couple) far too expensive unfortunately for my happy band of travellers, so, we stay about 12 miles away just a few miles inside the German border.. this gives us quick access to Luxembourg (and its cheap petrol) as well as the Eifel/Hunsruck regions and as an added bonus, The Nurburgring is about 50 miles distant. Its become something of a tradition to spend a full day in the more mountainous "Oesling" north end of Luxembourg as its comparatively empty of people and cars when we go and a joy to explore, you can ride for hours and count yourself unlucky to see more than a few cars.. Roads that are as smooth as silk with little or no police presence. Its great. Every time we go we discover something new and altogether wonderful.

My first sight of the castle above Vianden is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.. not least because it was such a surprise, I nearly fell off my bike.

https://goo.gl/maps/Xi9VisFsJWC2