clutch plates

fastbob

Ebc tech support have asked for pictures. Trying to determine if Mobil power 1 is full or semi .

Mobil 1 is fully synthetic

Or if you mean castrol power 1 racing then thats also fully synth

Castrol power 1 is semi synth

Edited by TimR

Ebc tech support have asked for pictures. Trying to determine if Mobil power 1 is full or semi .

Mobil 1 is fully synthetic

Or if you mean castrol power 1 racing then thats also fully synth

Castrol power 1 is semi synth

yeah sorry, Castrol power 1

We did discuss the actuator Bob, especially as it's the hydraulic variety

With the clutch cover off , the plates move quickly and return quickly when the lever is operated and released. My hand can feel the springyness of the springs if that makes sense . There is a good visible movement .

We did discuss the actuator Bob, especially as it's the hydraulic variety

With the clutch cover off , the plates move quickly and return quickly when the lever is operated and released. My hand can feel the springyness of the springs if that makes sense . There is a good visible movement .

Just an update , EBC have agreed to arrange collection so you never know, I might get a replacement 🤞

I'm getting so good at removing GSXR clutches that if you give me an impact wrench I could do one in a pit stop ! 😁 Having TWO telescopic magnetic thingy's is the secret . 🛠

So you found what was causing it to slip?

Not really, it shouldn't have been oil starved because I carefully measured the oil that came out and it wasnt short plus its only lubricated by splash . The only possibility is that the wave washer might have been installed upside down but I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the last friction plate ( the thin one ) out . There were wear marks on the wave washer seat and an indentation on the first steel plate that suggests this was the case BUT I'm not sure at all because I was distracted when I took it out . Oddly the factory manual says nothing about which way up it goes . I have determined that it goes with the smallest diameter outwards but even this is not 100% certain . Anyway this would be more likely to cause drag than slip . One other possibility is that my left hand was getting so tired from the heavy duty clutch springs that I was letting the clutch out too slowly.

I would add by the way that it was not me that installed it originally and that I had it done "professionally" Yeah right , never again .

Good your getting a replacment

I wouldnt trust anyone to work on my bike now

Nor would I normally but I just couldn't shift that 50 mm spring holder nut . I bought a clutch holding tool and the biggest socket wrench you ever saw plus a 4ft piece of scaffolding. I had a piece of 4 by 2 wood through the back wheel but eventually the pins fell out of the clutch holding tool and I was just not feeling right about it . The bike workshop that did it , which is a 10 minute job , asked me to take the bike in on a Monday . Half past five on the Friday and they still haven't done it so a weeks holiday was wasted phoning them up every day . Anyway I've got the loan of a Snap-on impact wrench so , as you rightly say , I wouldn't trust anyone to work on my bike either. So now that you have unleashed this extra power what are you doing for a clutch on the Busa ? I only mention this because my previous clutch only started slipping when I added a Dynojet kit . This is what happened to the holding tool , luckily the pegs didn't end up in the sump .

WP_20160410_20_06_27_Pro.thumb.jpg.d60defd9060f152e4bfde713b6f0a12a.jpg

Good your getting a replacment

I wouldnt trust anyone to work on my bike now

So now that you have unleashed this extra power what are you doing for a clutch on the Busa ?

Keeping it stock mate,

Unless it needs work.......... I havnt opened it up yet, After talking to other Busa owners and researching it seems a good few Busa's come in around the 180-190 Psi as stock, and a surprising amount are just over the 171 psi lower limit, with one at 160 Psi Cold (without running problems)

which means a whole load of riders have bikes that arnt producing power they could/should be

But a good one will pump out 210+

Mine has gone from 185 Psi to 226 Psi, which Im very happy about, assuming I have my calculations right and it dosnt explode further up the Rev range

But the increase in mine is at the Maximum Stock Power limit (-2 psi) so I cant see it being a problem

Right , I've got my brand new replacement clutch kit and its soaking in oil . BUT I have a problem. I cannot for the life of me determine which way up the Wave Washer goes . I've spent literally hours online and I'm none the wiser . Some "experts" say one way and just when I'm feeling sure another "expert" on YouTube goes and puts it the other way up . To clarify, before any plates go in there are two large diameter thin steel washers that go in first . The first one in is flat and called the seat and the second one is dished and that is the Wave Washer . It's this last one that's doing my head in. There's nothing in the factory manual except the brilliant advice to make sure they are the right way up and an unclear drawing . I think it goes in with the larger diameter first and the smaller diameter facing outwards so if you imagine it as a shallow cone the "point" would be facing away from the bike . Trouble is I just can't be sure . Perhaps if I knew WHY it goes in the way it does I.e. I understood the mechanism at work here I would be able to make sense of it all . There is no Haynes manual for the W series GSXRs but I'm going to the library to look at an oil cooled manual . Surely Haynes will tell me .

Just had a quick search on gixxer forum and consensus seems to be smaller outwards. Can't confirm any have same model you have but guessing they wouldn't change it as surely if it was important they'd have to turn whole clutch assembly around on different models.

Hopefully Haynes can confirm it but find so many times it has pages of everything but don't answer the one question you want.

According to the gsxr service manual you install the wave washer seat first then the wave washer

obviously the seat is the flat one and the was one will go the same way as the TL one I posted above :thumb:

And there you go , the Gixer forum or rather someone on it says smallest outwards but based on the TL pics its the opposite way round.

According to the gsxr service manual you install the wave washer seat first then the wave washer

obviously the seat is the flat one and the was one will go the same way as the TL one I posted above :thumb:

Thanks Stu but its not the order , It's which way up the second one goes .

And there you go , the Gixer forum or rather someone on it says smallest outwards but based on the TL pics its the opposite way round.

I would rather trust a manual than just someone! but on the other hand the manual is from the TL although it looks as though its the same design I can't see why it would be different on the bikes :?

Thanks Stu but its not the order , It's which way up the second one goes .

sorry, didn't read it properly, same as TL makes sense .