Oil change suzuki van van

NewBob

Going to attempt my first self service (well mini service) on my suzuki van van, got the bits, air filter, oil & filter, O rings but a sump washer was included i wasnt expecting (havent seen that in the youtube vids) am i right in thinking its for the nut under the bike where oil comes out? Also i was told i should have jets done... problem is im a newb and i dont know what the flip that means :/

but a sump washer was included i wasnt expecting (havent seen that in the youtube vids)

Yup as you said for sump bolt. As I recall they're split washers and should be replaced every time (but most people don't :angel12: )

Yep, washer goes on sump nut. I usually clean all the oil off the nut and sump thread, then smear a bit of silicone sealant on the threads, for a 100%seal.

Why did they tell you to look at the jets?

Do you have a workshop manual?

Also i was told i should have jets done... problem is im a newb and i dont know what the flip that means :/

The jets are the tubes that squirt petrol into the carburettor. That's 95% of what I know about the subject. Here's the other 5%: leave them well alone unless you've got fuelling problems and you've tried everything else to fix them.

Make sure you undo the right bolt on the sump. There are two close together and the other one retains the gear selector pin - a lot of people say they undid the sump bolt and a pin with a spring fell out. Then they get the pin back the wrong way round and have problems finding neutral.

I have a couple of spare VanVan oil and air filters and the fuel injection diagnostic switch lying on my bench getting in the way - free to a good home for anyone who covers the postage - about £3.80

• 3 weeks later...

Yep this happened, well i havent started it up yet as i had to fetch the boy but the spring and pin fell out! I think they went back in the way they came out but neutral was a problem anyway.

Still have the bits? Id be more than happy to put a drink on top of the postage

Also does it matter if the new oil level is below the max but above the min?

Managed to swap out oil & air filter, change oil and adjust chain in 1hr in the wet and windy weather having never done any of these tasks before... bike rides fine (slightly better than before)

I noticed there was no spring behind the oil filter and according to the manual there should be! Been riding it since October without but will that be a issue?

The locator pin is in the same way it came out but found a youtube video where he took these out (in same order mine are in) then replaced them with the spring below the pin instead of around it (above the base/magnet) and it said neutral solved but im not sure weather to do this?

• 1 month later...

Note to self, when topping up oil ensure oil filler cap is tightened properly otherwise you will hear a change of sound in the engine noise and discover your leg and the whole side of the bike is a lovely slippery black. Doh :stupid:

• 1 year later...

I have purchased Motul 7100 10w30 as recommended by Suzuki.

Yet in the Service book it’s saying to use 10w40 oil.

Can I please ask which is correct?

I use Motul 7100 10w40 semi synthetic.

I'm not sure what effect using 10w30 would have? It's thinner... I'm not an oil expert so I'd wait until one of the pros responds??

I have purchased Motul 7100 10w30 as recommended by Suzuki.

Yet in the Service book it’s saying to use 10w40 oil.

Can I please ask which is correct?

10w40 is most commonly used in Japanese four stroke bikes . How do you mean " Recommended by Suzuki " when the service book says 10w40 ? Who's Suzuki ?

I purchased the oil online from a Suzuki motorbike dealer; was told this the oil recommended buy them. I might add i also purchased at the same time a full service pack which included oil filter, oil seals. Air filter, spark plug. They where all main dealer brands except the spark plug.

10W/30 is fine for your engine. I used both 10W/30 or 10W/40 in mine depending what was on offer at the time.

The higher number refers to the chain molecule viscosity when hot. Some modern engines have tiny oil passages that need 10W/30 to avoid starvation.

You can put 10W/30 in an engine designed to use 10W/40..... But never put 10W/40 in an engine designed for 10W/30.

The only time you might want to stick to the higher number is in an old worn engine where bearing wear means resistance to flow is dropping the oil pressure.

Just a note, the Haynes manual says SAE 10W/40 API grade SG or higher. Double checked as I started questioning if I'm using the correct oil as the first time I bought some I took the advice from the suzuki dealer (streetbike).

I've found most of the parts are available from wemoto at less cost with fast delivery. Oem parts and some cheeper versions or aftermarket ones :thumb:

• 3 years later...
2019 Suzuki Van Van 200 - changed oil for first time.  Started it up - oil came GUSHING OUT of everywhere!  Must’ve blown some gasket somewhere??  The shoe engine is a total oily mess right now so I have no clue where it is pouring out from yet.  Only used 1 Qt so I didn’t overfill.  Any ideas of what happened?  Thanks.