Tyres?

Adam88

Hey people.. just a quick question I’ve booked my first track day at Snetterton in a few weeks.. just wondering if it’s worth getting a new set of tyres for it? As I ain’t sure if the tyres I currently have on my bike (r6) would be ok for a track day as they still the tyres that came on the bike when I got it they are Michelin Pilot 2CT they any good for a track day ? Or is there any tyres out there that I could get recommended ?

Many thanks Adam

They will be fine.

I put a set of PR4 on my track bike as intermediates and they were fine. There's a write up on here somewhere about it.

I did the Ron Haslam race school two weeks ago and I was surprised that all the bikes, even the Fireblades, were fitted with Michelin road tyres. They had a guy from Michelin do a talk afterwards and he said that you’d need to be a Valentino Rossi to get more speed out of special track slicks, and even then the time difference would be about 9 seconds per lap. So long answer to your short question your road tyres will probably do, but you might not have much tread on them afterwards.

Edited by mikestrivens

I did the Ron Haslam race school two weeks ago and I was surprised that all the bikes, even the Fireblades, were fitted with Michelin road tyres. They had a guy from Michelin do a talk afterwards and he said that you’d need to be a Valentino Rossi to get more speed out of special track slicks, and even then the time difference would be about 9 seconds per lap. So long answer to your short question your road tyres will probably do, but you might not have much tread on them afterwards.

Thought you said the bike you used was running Dunlop Roadsmart III ?

Thought you said the bike you used was running Dunlop Roadsmart III ?

Sorry you are absolutely correct. Nevertheless they were still road tyres and not special track tyres. Don’t know my Dunlop’s from my Michelin’s.