Bike to bike radio set up

Pitbull150

Hi All,

Just joined TMBF today and I hope someone might be able to offer some assistance with bike to bike comms using Motorola TLKR 80 radios being run through autocom systems.

Systems being used are on my KTM 950 Adventure S, Autocom Active plus kit 200 with Motorola TLKR 80 radio. The radio is connected to the autocom using the correct autocom lead plugged into the large multi plug connecter on the autocom system.

The system is exactly the same radio and lead etc on my mates triumph but he is using the SPA Kit 2.

I have read all the instructions ref setting up the VOX controls on both the radios and the autocom units. They trouble we have is that they work fine if we are within 10ft of each other, but when we ride and are separated by any distance even 50ft or so they don't work and we both keep getting a constant bleep through the headsets.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions, we are touring into France in 6 weeks and need bike to bike comms, also we both have Garmin zumo 590 & 595 connected into the autocom systems and these work fine, tried switching these off as we thought they might conflict and the radios are no different.

Thanks for any help you may offer

Jason

Hi, first check the radio's by themselves that they communicate and that there vox system is working. Check the vox on both the head sets, then check the designated channel on each head set which the radio is connected. To be honest hard wired motorcycle intercoms is old Tec theses days most wireless systems will communicate upto a 1000m eleminating all these issues of carrying radios.

• 2 weeks later...

How about learning morse code and communicating via headlight and brake light flashes :D ? Seriously, bin the radios. More trouble than they're worth.