Removing front sprocket of CBR 600F (2004)

HomerPlata

I had a fair amount of difficulty in attempting to remove the front sprocket over the weekend (ended up stripping the thread or whatever from the inside of what-must-have-been-a-cheap 14mm socket in doing so).

I'm just on here to double-check - I am supposed to be turning it left-loosey aren't I?

Was always a stiff bugger to get off on those bikes.

I had to put the bike in gear, stand on the back brake and use a breaker bar to crack it off.

Not sure how far along the job you are, but crack off all the sprocket bolts first before taking the chain off. And check your cush rubbers while your there (under the sprocket hub), as if any of those are worn or snapped then you will need to replace them.

And check your cush rubbers while your there (under the sprocket hub), as if any of those are worn or snapped then you will need to replace them.

[mention]Fozzie[/mention] is right

Most people forget about Cush Rubbers..........when worn they give a sloppy feel to the transmission

Good tip Ive used is to pack out the rubbers with small pieces of cut up push bike inertube a little to get a bit more life out of them.......works ok

I shim my cush drive on the ER with bits of chopped up plastic from the rigidity inserts from some old panniers but if I were to do it again I would use plastic shim material as used by builders to fit windows and hang doors ( I think ) . I would have thought that inner tube would be a bit hard to keep in place while it goes back together.

I shim my cush drive on the ER with bits of chopped up plastic from the rigidity inserts from some old panniers but if I were to do it again I would use plastic shim material as used by builders to fit windows and hang doors ( I think ) . I would have thought that inner tube would be a bit hard to keep in place while it goes back together.

If you use bicycle innertube slices you can generally stretch it over each individual cushion or even over the "spoke" parts in the hub ;)

They were only £20 on my old Blackbird so I just replaced them when one snapped :lol:

Keep in mind they can be worn down quicker by bad wheel/sprocket hub bearings. I replaced the hub and wheel bearing at the same time as the cush rubbers and the bike felt brand new afterwards.

If you use bicycle innertube slices you can generally stretch it over each individual cushion or even over the "spoke" parts in the hub ;)

Ah ha, that sounds practical . I'll give that a go next time 👍🏻

Thanks for that Tim , I've just put inner tube rings around my cush drive rubbers on my ER5

. They wouldn't go on the sprocket carrier lugs because mine are tapered . All the play has gone and it feels really "bouncy" . Great tip , cheers.